2011 - 2018 Explorer Power Steering Issue | Page 68 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

They will reflash it for you but I am sure will charge you an hour of labor. May want to see what they would charge for install first if you supply it. You can get them far cheaper online than a dealer will charge you unless they bbn are willing to price match.

From my understanding, the EPAS will not function till programmed for the vehicle. Could an independent do it, possibly if they have the proper software.
It truly bugs me that my vehicle isn’t covered by the recall. Seems like a pretty common issue. Makes me want to sell it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

November 2018 my 2014 Explorer had the left cv joint break in 2 while driving. Literally break apart. Only had 81k miles. It was towed and replaced with my extended warranty. Picked it up and it was making a clicking noise coming from the steering wheel. Went back in and they replaced the tie rod ends, only for it to keep doing it. Ended up replacing the steering gear & problem solved. Fast forward to today, steering wheel is making the same clicking sound when turning. My Explorer is at 88k miles and I'm sure it's the rack and pinion again. Will update once I take it in.

Welcome to the Forum Brenda.:wave:

Good luck. I hope it all works out for you.

Peter

Just got done installing a 3rd party reman R&P in a 2011 Explorer. Just wondering if I need to re-flash now. Car steers smoothly (as it should) and alignment is perfect.

Anyone have any experience with installing a reman R&P without re-flashing?

^^ Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Just got done installing a 3rd party reman R&P in a 2011 Explorer. Just wondering if I need to re-flash now. Car steers smoothly (as it should) and alignment is perfect.

Anyone have any experience with installing a reman R&P without re-flashing?

Havent seen anyone get one installed and function properly without a reflash.

Just curious, how much did the Reman cost?

Going to get it flashed to the vehicle next week.

Price for reman was $565 after core refund. Comes with a lifetime warranty.

I just had this failure last weekend on a 2011 Explorer XLT.

Drove the car to the dealership Monday morning (December 23th), they changed the steering rack free of charge. The truck was ready to be picked up by noon the next day (December 24th).

I was really mad when it failed, but I'm really happy with how it was resolved.

Looking for advice on an issue. My 2012 Ford Explorer XLT has been losing power steering. In 2015 the power steering stopped working. I took it to the dealer,they stated there was a recall on the vehicle and reset the codes and done an update on the system. This did not solve the problem so they replaced the steering gear. The problem was solved for about a year. Same situation occurred, stabilitrac light comes on and service power steering warning. Once the vehicle is turned off and restarted the service power steering now warning comes on and the power steering goes out completely. Took the vehicle back to the dealership, reset the codes, vehicle works fine. This has happened multiple times. Dealership says the steering gear needs replaced but wants to charge $1500 to fix it. I contacted Ford directly multiple times, they refuse to do anything and say that it is the dealerships fault. I have taken it to another Ford dealer who states it needs the same thing but also wants to charge $1500 for parts and labor. In the last 3 months the power steering has went out approx 6 times and 2 times in the last 2 days. I take it and have the codes cleared as soon as I pull out the warnings go off again and when the vehicle is turned off and started back no power steering. Seem Ford would fix the problem considering it stems from a recall.

Looking for advice on an issue. My 2012 Ford Explorer XLT has been losing power steering. In 2015 the power steering stopped working. I took it to the dealer,they stated there was a recall on the vehicle and reset the codes and done an update on the system. This did not solve the problem so they replaced the steering gear. The problem was solved for about a year. Same situation occurred, stabilitrac light comes on and service power steering warning. Once the vehicle is turned off and restarted the service power steering now warning comes on and the power steering goes out completely. Took the vehicle back to the dealership, reset the codes, vehicle works fine. This has happened multiple times. Dealership says the steering gear needs replaced but wants to charge $1500 to fix it. I contacted Ford directly multiple times, they refuse to do anything and say that it is the dealerships fault. I have taken it to another Ford dealer who states it needs the same thing but also wants to charge $1500 for parts and labor. In the last 3 months the power steering has went out approx 6 times and 2 times in the last 2 days. I take it and have the codes cleared as soon as I pull out the warnings go off again and when the vehicle is turned off and started back no power steering. Seem Ford would fix the problem considering it stems from a recall.

Welcome to the forum!

Your thread has been merged with the existing one (we keep like topics together). Since it is 68 pages long, I'll try to summarize it for you.

1) There was never a recall, there was a TSB issued and warranty extension for some 2011-2012 vehicles. If it was replaced once under this extended warranty period, that met Ford's coverage and future ones would not be covered.

2) A "software update"never fixes it. If it fails, it needs to be replaced, period. There was software update that ford came put with that would prevent it from full failing (red warning to service now) until you shut off and restarted. The update gave you partial assist if it failed (yellow warning to service soon) so you could safely get to.your destination.

3) The failure rate has drastically been reduced and is not common any more. However, one should not expect to pay $1,500 for a power steering failure IMO when PS pumps were far cheaper.

4) If it was replaced and been less then 1yr/12k, your dealer can claim a defective repair and get it replaced again under warranty. If it has been beyond that period, you are unfortunately on your own.

....... I contacted Ford directly multiple times, they refuse to do anything and say that it is the dealerships fault....... .
I'm somewhat baffled by that statement. Did Ford say exactly why or what is the dealer's fault?
BTW, Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'd think that because the issue is happening so frequently now, that it isnot safe to drive. If you were to become involved in an accident because of the steering problem. you'd be in trouble.

Peter

His statement was that it was a workmanship issue and if replacing the part did not fix it then it was a workmanship issue. I don’t think that is at all the problem because after the part was replaced it worked fine for a little over a year. Unfortunately the warranty was only for a year on that part. Just seems it would be something Ford would be willing to fix considering it was the same issue with the same part.

Just took my 2011 Ford Explorer XLT to the dealer here in Columbia SC, and they wouldn't honor a recall for my power steering problem.
They said I had to many miles on my Explorer to honor the recall on the power steering system.

Do you have an actual notice? What’s the date on it? They technically don’t have to honor recalls on cars 10+ years Old.

What is the actual "recall" number?

They said I had to many miles on my Explorer to honor the recall on the power steering system.
Welcome to the Forum Mike. :wave:
How many miles are on the Explorer? I read an old post of mine that said the recall was extended to 10 years or 150k miles.

Peter

There are very specific terms for applicability of 14S06.

Without knowing the specifics of your vehicle, I'd have to assume it did not qualify under the written terms of the recall, including issued supplementals.

Contact the zone office/manager for a followup if you believe you meet the qualifications (you probably don't).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Recall covers 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Screenshot_20200607-195456_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20200607-195504_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Back