2011 Explorer, Aftermarket Rear Seat Video suggestions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer, Aftermarket Rear Seat Video suggestions

parkersmith

Reaction score
City, State
Southeast
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
I have been searching the web for a while now, looking for a roof mount solution. We have a Limited that has the rear sunroof and there is only about 7.5" to mount a drop down in between the front and rear sunroofs. I have yet to find anything that will fit. We have 3 children, so I have considered headrest monitors, but need smaller ones to mount in the 2nd row seats. I also worry about how violently the flip button on the rear captain chairs throws the chairs forward, which might not allow a headrest monitor to survive.

I am also considering a some iPads instead and using Bluetooth to stream one of them to the sound system. Problem with that approach is that only one of the ipads will be able to show the movie instead of 2 or 3 at one time.

There has to be a solution that is feasible. If you have installed something in your 2011 Explorer, please post what you did. This is one area that ford skimped on. I would never pay them for the dealer installed headrest option as it is NO difference than aftermarkets that cost a fraction of the Ford price.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am having a hard time finding anyone who has installed anything aftermarket for the vehicle yet, guess we are just gonna have to play the waiting game for more people to get their vehicle and start doing things to it.

Dealer installed headrest DVD on the front row seats is the best option.

You might want to wait to see what starts to fill the market since the vehicle is very new there isn't much of a after market for parts yet.

Like tmsoko said the factory DVD would be a good option but that's only available to be ordered with the vehicle as a option and not a dealer ordered option. I'm sure there will be other manufactures that come out with headrest dvd players that will probably play better than Ford's FM modulator for sound.

As far as roof mount, I doubt there is enough material to attach a DVD player to the roof with the dual sunroof.

The 'Invision' made or better known as the Ford Factory/Dealer Installed rear seat headrest DVD players can be ordered at the dealer. That's how I ordered mine. As for mounting them on the second row seats, not sure how easy the install would be and/or if it is even feasible to mount them there. The wiring goes through the headrest posts and ultimately gets its power feed from the left front kickpanel area.

Seek out a local car audio shop (stay away from Best Buy). They will have an abundance of overhead drop down DVD players, plus they can flush mount screens in the back of headrests all for a fraction of the OEM/dealer prices.

There's nothing magical about working on the Explorer as it's just another Ford once you pull panels.

Heres another one that should match black leather interior.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/9-0-inch-TFT-LCD-Headrest-DVD-USB-SD-FM-Transimitter--32-bit-Game-Function---IR--999--1PCS---SZC2234-_p90578.html

How do the warrent paying $2100 for these when you can get them for a couple hundred dollars?

Well that's just for the LCD on the one. You still need the actual DVD player unless those headrests can play movies directly off of SD/USB which I highly doubt since you'll run into codec issues at some point (unless you're ok with converting movies beforehand). Once you find a DVD player you still need to hook it up to the LCD and power and route the wires somewhere. Ford's stock solution is a DVD player and LCD screen all in one. Is it worth the price they are asking? Not by a long shot.

I still think the Ipad (or better yet wait for the Asus EEE Pads with built in SD and USB slots) is the best-bang-for-buck solution. For the base Ipad and the headrest holder you're looking at $520 before taxes. It's removable from seat to seat so it could even go on the 2nd row headrests for the people in the third row. The only downside I see to the Ipad is having to move the movies on to it beforehand BUT seeing how there is no need for physical DVDs flying around the Explorer to get lost, I see this is a plus. Load 10-30 movies on to it at no more than 720p resolution (EEE pad, 32GB SD card) and it should be set for some time. Cycle the movies a couple times a year. Bluetooth wireless headphones to finish it off. Last bonus is the Ipads other abilities, surf the net, check email, etc. Sure it doesn't look as "clean" but the added functionality is worth it IMO.

Forgot to mention you can power the Ipad through either the 12V power (with adapter) or the USB ports in the center console for "free" provided the cord is long enough. The Ipad already has impressive battery life so this shouldn't happen too often.

I have been searching the web for a while now, looking for a roof mount solution. We have a Limited that has the rear sunroof and there is only about 7.5" to mount a drop down in between the front and rear sunroofs. I have yet to find anything that will fit. We have 3 children, so I have considered headrest monitors, but need smaller ones to mount in the 2nd row seats. I also worry about how violently the flip button on the rear captain chairs throws the chairs forward, which might not allow a headrest monitor to survive.

I am also considering a some iPads instead and using Bluetooth to stream one of them to the sound system. Problem with that approach is that only one of the ipads will be able to show the movie instead of 2 or 3 at one time.

There has to be a solution that is feasible. If you have installed something in your 2011 Explorer, please post what you did. This is one area that ford skimped on. I would never pay them for the dealer installed headrest option as it is NO difference than aftermarkets that cost a fraction of the Ford price.

What did you end up doing?

get tablet

I was looking for roof dvd to i have been use my Motorola xoom tablet headrest mount but that only good for one kid. So i started thinking if could mount this to the roof that would work . This what i made with 12metal and just bending it a certain way so it would work like a clamp to hold it. And Velcro to hold it .
2012-08-11_07-41-29_333.jpg

If need any help let me know holds great. Took me about 2 hrs.

best part about using a tablet if its 3g or 4g mobile. you can watch netflix or other movie stuff my xoom is just wifi i use my smartphones hotspot, i load movies on 32g card. works great. this tablet also can do google maps/navi play music/ web much more then dvd player.

2012-08-12_09-17-36_363.jpg

2012-08-12_09-20-54_182.jpg

2012-08-12_09-21-06_747.jpg

2012-08-12_09-21-21_396.jpg

I ended up using two Kindle Fires streaming wirelessly using a 64 GB Kingston Wi drive. It works fine once it plays but sometimes can be a pain to get that drive to turn on, get the kindles connected wirelessly, etc. Also the drive won't charge while playing unless it has a high amp USB charger and you plug it in after it starts playing (a major pain). I am using two mounts from Amazon which screw around the headrest...they work fine but they do stick out a bit and get in the way of things. Front-back is not near as much clearance as you might have in a minivan. Also a problem with the Fires is the USB and headphone are right next to each other and if I try to have both plugged in (which is quite snug) I get a ground loop hum. I'm still trying to come up with something workable...I really don't want to sink the money into the inflated price of the OEM headrests...especially since the only thing integrated with those is the power

What did you end up doing?

Nothing. Never did find a solution that I liked. Now, I have a 2013 limited explorer and still looking. While surfing for a newer solution, I came back across my original post:) Still can't believe no company has produced a better solution that the factory headrests. They are way overpriced.

checkout autotain.com They make much more affordable headrests. 7" regular and touch screen. And 9" touch screens as well. Not the same quality as the Invision/rosen/advent brands though

Back