2011 Explorer Limited SunShade Doesn't close all the way, or open all the way. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer Limited SunShade Doesn't close all the way, or open all the way.

Aaron Wasson

Reaction score
City, State
Lisle, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
First post, I have a 2011 Explorer limited that we just got about a month ago. We noticed that the power sunshade, when it closes all the way, it bounces back like a sensor is hitting something. Also just noticed that when open all the way, it really isn't. It is still sticking out about 6 inches or so. Has anyone see this? It is like it has jumped the track a bit and needs to be reset. Is there a way I can fix it?

Thanks!
Aaron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Aaron.:wave:
When you open the shade and it stops, if you press the 'open' button again, does the shade retract all the way?

Peter

When I open the shade and it stops, and I press the open button again, it doesn't do anything. That is when it is all the way back and only out about 6 inches. It will stop in-between the 2 windows like it is suppose to, then when I hit open again it continues. But it stops and won't go any further back than that 6 inch spot.
Aaron

If the shade seems to move freely to the positions you mentioned then I can only guess that it is in its tracks. I don't know if it could be an issue with the motor or not since it is working, sort of. FYI, the moonroof and shade each have their own motors located at the front edge. I was going to suggest perhaps giving it a gentle hand when it gets near the 'stuck' position but then I'm afraid if it does go back further it may get hung up there. My shade is always in the open (retracted) position.
When you say it "bounces back" when attempting to close it, how far does it go back? I'm not aware of any kind of 'safety' feature.

Peter

Here is a picture of it opened up as far as it will go. Gonna try to upload a video of what it is doing when trying to close it.
IMG_20181216_151839.jpg

That is strange. Unfortunately I don't have an answer and I don't believe that issue has been posted here before. It must have something to do with the motor is all I can think of. Perhaps another member will have an opinion on this.

Peter

I have no input to fix it, but I think the diagnosis is going in the right direction.
Seems to me that the motor/shade position is off from where it thinks it should be.

I don't have the sunroof on mine, but to me, when the shade stops in between the 2 panels, I think it would stop where the roof panel covers the front/rear panels. Yours sticks out a little bit forward.

Can someone confirm this? Peter?

It acts to me like it has jumped a few gears, so it thinks it is in a position that it is not. Guess that is the phrase I meant to use instead of jumped track...
Aaron

It acts to me like it has jumped a few gears, so it thinks it is in a position that it is not. Guess that is the phrase I meant to use instead of jumped track...
Aaron
It seems that may be the case because it also isn't stopping correctly between the glass panels. Thanks for pointing that out Odrapnew. When closing, it seems to override the stop about the same amount as it leaves in the rear when opening and in the front when closing. I wonder if someone tried to move it manually at one time. I don't know if it can be corrected by trying to push it all the way open or if perhaps that may damage it. It is definitely out of sync.

Peter

Back