• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer Navigation System

wgm

Reaction score
City, State
VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
I have had my 2011 Explorer Limited approximately 2 months and the navigation system indicates "off route" intermittently including major interstate highways. I recently went to Niagara Falls, a 427 mile trip, and the system was completely unuseable. I am thankful that I took my Garmin 1450 and a mapquest printout, otherwise I would have had several problems getting there. Does anyone else have this probllem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the issue very seldom, and always on a road that has changed in the last 1-2 years. For me, this seems common for internal GPS systems, as my DVD based Honda GPS is always about 1-2 years behind changes in the road.

I have not encountered the issue if the road has not changed recently.

The map is very old and inaccurate. My community is 3 years old, I can find it one the map manually, but can't input an address to search for it. An old address that is 10 years old was half block away. Someone in Ford dropped the ball on this.You can have all the fancy graphics, but the most important thing is reliability and accuracy. Ford system lacks on both.

I really like the X and want to buy one, but concerns over GPS and other MFT related issues hold me back, problably not jiust me.

This is why dodge has a garmin as their gps unit they work, didn't want the factory nav just for these reasons!

For those having problems with accuracy in the factory navigation system, I would suggest taking some time to report errors when you find them.

I live north of Houston and looked up about a dozen addresses around town. Telenav's website was accurate less then half the time. For one set of examples, it was as close as one house away, and as far as three houses away. Not a stellar showing, and this is in a neighborhood that is over 30 years old. There is simply no excuse for that.

I double checked each address with Google maps and Google got it right every single time.

I clicked on the Feedback link in the upper right hand corner of the map on Telenav.com and reported my findings. To my surprise, I got an email from a representative the next day asking for more information. I sent them the addresses that I was having problems with, including a general idea of the lack of accuracy for each. The next day, another email from them thanking me for my input. Neither email was a form letter. I was surprised to say the least and feel that there is some hope for them.

Is it convenient to take time out to report these things? No, it isn't, but I am willing to chip in to help make the product better (hopefully) by giving them some feedback. As a future user, it will only benefit me, and others, by doing so.

Is this something the IVT team would be interested in hearing?

Happy driving.

For those having problems with accuracy in the factory navigation system, I would suggest taking some time to report errors when you find them.

I live north of Houston and looked up about a dozen addresses around town. Telenav's website was accurate less then half the time. For one set of examples, it was as close as one house away, and as far as three houses away. Not a stellar showing, and this is in a neighborhood that is over 30 years old. There is simply no excuse for that.

I double checked each address with Google maps and Google got it right every single time.

I clicked on the Feedback link in the upper right hand corner of the map on Telenav.com and reported my findings. To my surprise, I got an email from a representative the next day asking for more information. I sent them the addresses that I was having problems with, including a general idea of the lack of accuracy for each. The next day, another email from them thanking me for my input. Neither email was a form letter. I was surprised to say the least and feel that there is some hope for them.

Is it convenient to take time out to report these things? No, it isn't, but I am willing to chip in to help make the product better (hopefully) by giving them some feedback. As a future user, it will only benefit me, and others, by doing so.

Is this something the IVT team would be interested in hearing?

Happy driving.

They should offer to send you and everyone who does their research for them an updated SD card.

I checked the Telenav website, and their map couldn't find my address at all. I then checked Navteq (I believe it is in 2010 and older Explorers, as you could buy updates for those) and it worked perfectly, including traffic!

Please someone tell me that Navteq is available instead of this Telenav, or that they are somehow combined?

They should offer to send you and everyone who does their research for them an updated SD card.

I'd be up for that!

They should do it like Garmin (at least with our old unit), and offer one free update.

I checked the Telenav website, and their map couldn't find my address at all. I then checked Navteq (I believe it is in 2010 and older Explorers, as you could buy updates for those) and it worked perfectly, including traffic!
My 2009 uses the Navteq maps. Unfortunately the fact that it's on the maps on Navteq's website doesn't mean it makes it into what is released for Ford's navigation system.

I have had my 2011 Explorer Limited approximately 2 months and the navigation system indicates "off route" intermittently including major interstate highways. I recently went to Niagara Falls, a 427 mile trip, and the system was completely unuseable. I am thankful that I took my Garmin 1450 and a mapquest printout, otherwise I would have had several problems getting there. Does anyone else have this probllem?
Try pulling fuse 29 or disconnecting the battery to reset the system. Mine got messed up on a recent trip and became unusable. A reset made it work much better.

same problem. i just returned from a vegas to phoenix trip, half of the route went off the grid and all i had was a yellow question mark noting the system was useless. when i got the phoenix the nav took me 40 miles out of the way for our supposed hotel. it noted we were at the hotels address when we were in fact far far away. i used my android and a half hour later we were in downtown phoenix. sad, very very sad since the places i went to have had no route changes for at least ten years...

Just wondering if there is any way to force Ford to do something to correct this. Bad navigation is really a safety issue. Without it is one thing, with it and can't rely on it is totaly differnet. Ford should buy back the GPS map card or reissue an updated one.

Back