Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2011 Explorer Restricted from towing U-Haul Trailers

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Jar0d_82ABN, July 24, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
Tags:
  1. Jar0d_82ABN

Jar0d_82ABN New Member

City, State:
    Virginia
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    Explorer Limited 2011
    My father and I had driven separately to W. Virginia on a church work camp. This was the first major road trip in my new 2011 Explorer Limited. Our trip there went fine as I enjoyed the MFT system and the automatic cruise control. However, as accidents happen and my father broke his ankle falling off of a ladder towards the end of the week. To get his Toyota pick up truck back to Pennsylvania we stopped by a U-Haul. I thought I would actually get to use my tow package after all. The U-Haul store owner told me that he was restricted to renting any trailers or vehicle towing equipment to Ford Explorers. I asked him to try since I had a newer Explorer with the tow package. As he entered vehicle model and make a warning sign popped up and stated that U-Haul could not rent to Ford Explorers. The owner was nice enough to give us other rental companies in the area, but I was a bit upset that I had not known that Explorers are banned from renting from U Haul. Overall, my Explorer performed perfectly on the 1500 mile trip, but just was not happy with the U Haul restriction.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    2011 Explorer Limited
    Old news, been posted before... there has also been articles posted online about it. All stems from the firestone tire issue. Uhaul doesnt care that it is a 100% redesign. The explorer name is the plague to Uhaul.

Sorry to hear about the injury though.

Last edited: July 24, 2011
  4. BrianDye

BrianDye I'll have another...

City, State:
    Monroe, MI
    2006 XLT
    Yea, dont you remember years ago the SECOND GENS had some bad tires?

:D

Sad thing is, you can take a Mountaineer there and rent a trailer no questions asked.

They even install hitches on Explorers, but wont rent trailers.

5. JDJones

JDJones Member

City, State:
    Houston
    2011 Silver Limited
    Wow, I know I'm new to Explorers (about 4 months now), but this was new and very interesting information to me. Over the last 5+ years, I have spend a good bit of money with UHaul near me, holding off buying a truck to move things back and forth to storage.

Although I admit I'm less likely to rent these days (as my Explorer is very good for many of these tasks), I am insulted by a policy based on events ~10 years ago.

Does anyone else feel this policy makes sense a decade later (for all Explorers) and that we as a user community should just wish U-Haul well?

6. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
    VA
    2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
    According to Wikipedia, while Explorers are restricted from towing U-Hauls, Mercury Mountaineers & Mazda Navajos, which are mechanically identical, are permitted.

7. vulnox

vulnox Member

City, State:
    Overland Park, Kansas
    '11 XLT 202A
    It is a pretty bad policy, but UHaul has a pretty bad reputation as a company. So I don't care either way, I am sure we can find another trailer if needed. It is all in the nameplate, as even the Sport Trac was denied despite it having a pretty big difference in architecture for the 2006 and earlier models, and even the redesign had quite a few big differences from the full Explorer.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/25/why-u-haul-wont-rent-you-a-trailer-for-your-ford-explorer/

8. tmilicia

tmilicia Active Member

City, State:
    Kent, Ohio
    2011 EX Limited 4x4
    I've rented a uhaul trailer twice with my new Explorer, I just told the idiot behind the counter that it was a new Ford Flex. :D

9. apolo607

apolo607 New Member

City, State:
    Queretaro, Mexico
    98 XLT 4dr

Some thing remainds me about that bad tires some months ago...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315570

10. calb

calb Active Member

2012 AWD Explorer Limited
    As someone else said, this is old news. This was in place due to the Firestone tire fiasco/lawsuits.

If I had to bet, I'd say that UHaul told Ford they wanted their costs reimbursed, Ford told them to take a hike, and UHaul decided to ban the Explorer - in perpetuity.

Nothing other than "tit for tat" makes sense, although I think UHaul are being stupid and just cutting off their nose to spite their face. Provides UHaul competitors an opportunity to cater to Ford owners.

11. calb

calb Active Member

2012 AWD Explorer Limited
    If something goes wrong though, are you insured? Do you take on additional liability?

12. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    '08 Sport Trac
    Very true, they are just being stupid. As an Explorer owner, take your money elsewhere. Problem is that Ryder doesn't have as many outlets.

13. tmilicia

tmilicia Active Member

City, State:
    Kent, Ohio
    2011 EX Limited 4x4
    According to my insurance agent, my auto policy covers any trailer that is connected to my Explorer for liability purposes. Now, if I were to do damage to the trailer myself, then no, that damage wouldn't be covered.

14. jeeden

jeeden Active Member

2011 Ford Explorer
    In the past I always told them I had a mercury mountaineer, I was wondering what I would tell them next time...

Thanks for the idea on the Ford Flex! :) You could probably get away with telling them it is an Edge as well.

We Support Our Troops!