2011 Explorer XLT auxiliary input? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Explorer XLT auxiliary input?

paulfrank285

Reaction score
City, State
Union, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 EXP XLT
Hey ladies and gentlemen,

I am new here and don't know where else I can post my question; searched for answers related to my question but no luck....don't yell at me please if similar post already exists!

I am wondering how I can connect my MP3 player to the 2011 Explorer XLT with Premium Audio System (rapid spec 202A - I don't have the car yet) and where the aux in is located? Based on the brochure, the base has aux audio in (my guess is for the 3.5mm audio jack) and XLT has audio/video input jack (my guess is for the yellow/red/white cable?) Do you think I can use a white/red to 3.5mm audio cable to connect my MP3 player to the audio system?

I understand that there are 2x USB and a SD card reader (no, I didn't order the NAV system) that may be able to play MP3 audio files (i am not sure about this). My MP3 player is not an iPod, so it only uses the 3.5mm cable to output audio.

My guess is all these USB/SD are located at the bottom of the center deck. Not sure if there is any connection in the center console aka armrest.

Thank you so much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To answer you. Yes. 3.5mm to your iPod and the white and red to the car.

This might help to visualize.

av_plugs.jpg

thank you for your replies!

@1995E: I guess you just assume my MP3 player is an iPod; no it is not! :D I am anti-Apple; I don't really like iTunes/iPod/iPhone; I never own any! but thanks for confirming the connection method.

My MP3 player is not an iPod, so it only uses the 3.5mm cable to output audio.

The 3.5mm -> RCA cable will work fine for you, however just because your mp3 player isn't an ipod doesn't mean it won't work via USB. You should try connecting it via USB and see if it recognizes the mp3 files, if so it will allow you to use the voice controls and display track information on the radio, as well as traverse through songs from the stereo itself. It's worth a shot.

@w1kedz: thanks. yes I will try when I get the car. as long as I know there one way to work for sure, I am ok. If I can use the USB to play songs from my MP3 player, it will be great since that will also charge it. well, let me just "disclose" what MP3 player I have; it's the Sony X1051 (in case if you have the car and the player, let me know).

i finally had time to test drove a XLT tonight. there is a small compartment, as shown in edge929's picture, at the bottom of the center stack. I didn't know this and always thought that it's located inside the center console/armrest storage; that's what got me confused. I didn't test the USB/SD reader to play MP3, but I brought with me the Metallica "Black" album with me to test the audio system. Overall sound quality is good, but since it doesn't have a subwoofer, of course the bass is kinda weak, compared to any car equipped with a subwoofer, like my current 05 Nissan Xterra, the subwoofer is right below the driver's seat....I am going to miss it a lot if I am getting the XLT.

Back