• Register Today It's free!

2011 Failing emissions ECM issue?

Tracker09

Reaction score
City, State
Hamden, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
My 2011 explorer is due for emissions this month. I took it in last month and was asked if I had recently replaced the battery because 6 of 8 onboard diagnostic tests were "not ready". They asked me if I had recently replaced the battery which I had so I was told to try again after driving a couple 100 more miles. I brought it in after 1000 more miles but received the same results. It would appear the vehicle isn't properly performing these tests or persisting the data. The vehicle is passing all other emissions tests and I am experiencing no issues with it. I need to bring it into Ford to fix but should this be covered by the emissions warranty as it is preventing me from passing emissions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is a good question.. I am not sure. If you do a search on here, I remember someone else posting about this same issue. I do not remember what the resolution was

I tried finding that post(s) as well with no luck.

Peter

I had the same issue when I went in for emissions testing the first time. I think there was a recall or flash they needed to do to the computers as a result because something would keep resetting. Sorry for the vague description but just letting you know someone who's had the issue previously.

Edit: Found the thread!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402395

Affected vehicles: 2011 Ford Edge, Ford Explorer and Lincoln MKX vehicles that received a PCM calibration in service.

Situation: In some of the affected vehicles, the “Learn” command may not have been performed when the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) was preprogramed in service. This condition will cause a reset of the OBD-II system on every vehicle power-up cycle, which leads to a “Not Ready” condition and sets a non-MIL P160A DTC. While no drivability symptoms will be present during vehicle operation, the OBD system will not function normally and MIL indication will be inhibited.

I had the same issue when I went in for emissions testing the first time. I think there was a recall or flash they needed to do to the computers as a result because something would keep resetting. Sorry for the vague description but just letting you know someone who's had the issue previously.

Edit: Found the thread!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402395

Affected vehicles: 2011 Ford Edge, Ford Explorer and Lincoln MKX vehicles that received a PCM calibration in service.

Situation: In some of the affected vehicles, the “Learn” command may not have been performed when the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) was preprogramed in service. This condition will cause a reset of the OBD-II system on every vehicle power-up cycle, which leads to a “Not Ready” condition and sets a non-MIL P160A DTC. While no drivability symptoms will be present during vehicle operation, the OBD system will not function normally and MIL indication will be inhibited.

Thanks this sounds like the exact issue though I thought I had that done already. We'll see.

Thanks this sounds like the exact issue though I thought I had that done already. We'll see.

How many miles are on your Explorer, Tracker09? Have you had the chance to swing by your dealership yet? Keep us in the loop. :thumbsup:

Crystal

How many miles are on your Explorer, Tracker09? Have you had the chance to swing by your dealership yet? Keep us in the loop. :thumbsup:

Crystal

I took it back into the dealer this past weekend. They redid the PCM recall as it may not have been performed properly when I had it done in the fall. I'm optimistic that this will get me though emissions. I need to drive a bit more before I go in for a retest next week.

I'm certainly glad we don't have emissions testing in WV.

Back