2011 Ford Explorer Transmission Problems? | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Ford Explorer Transmission Problems?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keeping this in the 'transmission' thread rather than starting a new one:

Just had my 2012 serviced - 24,654 miles since 09/12. I'd experienced slight transmission bump on a few occasions but had not mentioned this to the dealer (yet).

I notice on the paperwork from today's service that they changed the transmission fluid. Is this normal for a 25k mile / 2 yr car?

Cheers!
If you check your Owner's Guide it will tell you that under normal use;

Every 150,000 miles (240,000 km) Change automatic transmission fluid and filter.

Peter

Keeping this in the 'transmission' thread rather than starting a new one: Just had my 2012 serviced - 24,654 miles since 09/12. I'd experienced slight transmission bump on a few occasions but had not mentioned this to the dealer (yet). I notice on the paperwork from today's service that they changed the transmission fluid. Is this normal for a 25k mile / 2 yr car? Cheers!

If you had to pay for this, time to ask them why the early change? You should demand your $$ back. Totally un-necessary.

Thanks for the responses. To clarify:

- more of a bump than a flare. Most evident on after coasting from around 40 to around 20, and then accelerating again.
- I didn't have to pay, I have a maintenance plan so servicing etc is FOC. I only noticed when I had a look at the paperwork after I got home.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Did they replace the filter? A lot of times they only replace the fluid with a fluid exchanger machine. Sometimes they cause problems if they back wash it (causing junk to come out of the filter) or if they use the wrong type of fluid.

Hey all,

2013 Ford Explorer Sport with 25k miles. I've had a couple situations where i've had what seemed like a miss-shift, or as the poster above described it, a hard knock when accelerating when the transmission shifts.

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago...I started noticing spots on my driveway. I didn't think anything of it until I noticed the spots were getting larger. I've found a dozen or so 3-5 inch rings of oil under my car. They appear to be coming from the front passengers side, near the wheel.

I checked my oil, and noticed it was a quart short. So I topped it off. But this morning, i decide to take some degreaser to clean the driveway...the oil spots washed away red. I'm at the end of my service interval, so the missing quart could have just been burned off?

But more concerning...the leak isn't oil at all, but rather I think it's the transmission fluid.

Anyway, I dropped it off at the dealer today, they told me it may be a day or two before they can get to it. I've got my fingers crossed that there was still enough fluid to keep things lubricated for the last few weeks to prevent damage.

I'll post an update as soon as I hear what the story is. Needless to say, in 2013, a new vehicle shouldn't ever leak fluid.

Red is an indication of a transmission fluid leak. Let's hope it is just a seal. This should be covered under Ford's Power Train Warranty.

Peter

Hey all,

2013 Ford Explorer Sport with 25k miles. I've had a couple situations where i've had what seemed like a miss-shift, or as the poster above described it, a hard knock when accelerating when the transmission shifts.

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago...I started noticing spots on my driveway. I didn't think anything of it until I noticed the spots were getting larger. I've found a dozen or so 3-5 inch rings of oil under my car. They appear to be coming from the front passengers side, near the wheel.

I checked my oil, and noticed it was a quart short. So I topped it off. But this morning, i decide to take some degreaser to clean the driveway...the oil spots washed away red. I'm at the end of my service interval, so the missing quart could have just been burned off?

But more concerning...the leak isn't oil at all, but rather I think it's the transmission fluid.

Anyway, I dropped it off at the dealer today, they told me it may be a day or two before they can get to it. I've got my fingers crossed that there was still enough fluid to keep things lubricated for the last few weeks to prevent damage.

I'll post an update as soon as I hear what the story is. Needless to say, in 2013, a new vehicle shouldn't ever leak fluid.

Ok, so it turns out it's a PTU seal leak. While i'm glad that it's not the transmission, a random issue like this is concerning. The dealer will be holding the car until tomorrow, but will address the issue. The tech said sometimes they fail, but it could have occurred in factory installation.

Here's a thread for those interested. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=379087&page=2

Ok, so it turns out it's a PTU seal leak. While i'm glad that it's not the transmission, a random issue like this is concerning. The dealer will be holding the car until tomorrow, but will address the issue...

Thanks for following up, kamilsfirstford; it sounds like things are headed in the right direction. I'll keep checking in on this thread in case you need me to jump in and help.

Crystal

Need info

Thanks for the responses. To clarify:

- more of a bump than a flare. Most evident on after coasting from around 40 to around 20, and then accelerating again.
- I didn't have to pay, I have a maintenance plan so servicing etc is FOC. I only noticed when I had a look at the paperwork after I got home.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Hi, Jimmy. Any chance you could share further details on repairs done for your transmission issue. Sounds similar to mine, but my dealer is unable to recreate what I can to repair this issue.

My 2015 has had multiple "shift flares" and it only has 1700 miles on it.

Hi all,
This post is getting long but I thought I would add my 2011 to the list. My transmission is "slamming" between gears and really slams hard when I put it in reverse. I went to my local Ford but they do not have a certified transmission person; so I went 40 miles to the next town.
They found a TSB ?? for my serial number and ordered a PCM ?? but it didn't fix it. Now they have removed to transmission to inspect it. I should hear something on Monday afternoon. The one mechanic did say the bad PCM could have caused the problem??
Anyway, they are going through the steps to check it out. I just wonder at what point does it make more sense to replace the transmission then try to rebuild it?? I am sure it would depend on what they find when they tear it down.
I shall report back after I receive additional information on Monday. Stay tuned.
>> Dennis ;)

My 2015 has had multiple "shift flares" and it only has 1700 miles on it.

Sounds like it's dealership time, 360. I believe I responded to another thread you posted on, but I wanted to make sure I reached out to you here, too. Send me your info in a PM and I'll get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager. Be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. :thumbsup:

...I shall report back after I receive additional information on Monday. Stay tuned...

Any news from your dealership yet, Dennis? How many miles are on your Explorer? I'll check on some options to help.

Crystal

Crystal,
I called them this afternoon. They said they had the transmission all pulled apart. The bad part is the "Direct Clutch." They are going to order the parts and hope to have it ready by late Friday. I have around 40,000 miles on the car.
So, assuming it is fixed on Friday, I guess I do not have any real issue. They first checked for codes, then STB which showed a part recommendation, and then the tear down. He said all the other parts checked out okay.
Under the Ford Extended Warranty, should they offer me a loaner car, or is that up to the individual dealer?? Other than my motorcycle I am without wheels. Oh, is the transmission considered part of the drive train and the part is covered anyway?? What about the replacement fluid and filter?? Just wondering?

The transmission is part of the power train and would be covered under the warranty. As for a loaner, your Warranty Guide states that Ford is not obligated to supply a loaner. If the dealer does, it is at their expense.

Peter

Sounds like it's dealership time, 360. I believe I responded to another thread you posted on, but I wanted to make sure I reached out to you here, too. Send me your info in a PM and I'll get this into the hands of your regional customer service manager. Be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership. :thumbsup:

Crystal
It has happened on such random times. Yes, I noticed it, but dismissed them as they happened. I'm not even sure I can describe to a service department what to look for. I'll wait until it happens again to pursue it further.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Under the Ford Extended Warranty, should they offer me a loaner car, or is that up to the individual dealer?? Other than my motorcycle I am without wheels. Oh, is the transmission considered part of the drive train and the part is covered anyway?? What about the replacement fluid and filter?? Just wondering?

Hi Dennis,

Certain extended service plans (ESPs) do have a provision for rental assistance, but you'd have to confirm that coverage with your service manager. Similarly, your dealership will be in the best position to determine which repairs can be made under warranty. :thumbsup:

...I'll wait until it happens again to pursue it further.

Sounds good, 360; I'm always just a PM away if you need my help.

Crystal

Back