2011 GPS frozen no sattelites

The Hoff

Reaction score
City, State
Murfreesboro, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
Hello-
Just purchased a gently used 2011 Explorer Limited with MFT and Navi. only has 42k miles.
Performed the latest SYNC update from Ford on day 1.
Yesterday the GPS stopped working. has the "GPS" with the red "x" displayed.
After reading many threads i pulled fuse 29, did the master reset, disconnected the battery for 1 hour parked outside, ran the diagnostics and it says 0 sattelites. Nothing seems to work. I have the a4 card and have re-seated it several times as well.
Any thoughts on this before I have to take it to the dealer? could the antenna just be bad? anyone know where the antenna is located?
thanks for the help...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Others seem to have had similar issues with the early models of Explorer. Just want to make sure but you haven't placed anything on the dash blocking the view of the GPS antenna have you? Its under the dash pad on the right side of the instrument cluster.

Nothing on dash

No, there is nothing on the dash at all.

If you bought it from a Ford dealer I would go back and request that all programmable modules be checked for calibration updates free of charge. This includes the GPS antenna.

Congrats on your new-to-you Explorer, The Hoff!

I agree with Jason about taking it to a dealership. They'll be able to diagnose and correct this for you. Let me know how it goes!

Rebecca

I also have a 2011 XLT with Nav, and there are times I want to kick in the display screen, as it will sometimes take the better part of a day to "sync up" with the satelites.

One thing I do, that works more often than not, is just to pull over, shut the car down, open the door to shut down MFT, and restart in 10 seconds.

then, for some reason the Nav works. Not always, but 55-60% of time.

Thanks

Thanks guys. I have set a service appointment for this.
Not how I wanted the relationship with the explorer to start.
Better than replacing a radiator(2006 model) I guess...

Back