2011 Lifted with BFG TA/KO's | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Lifted with BFG TA/KO's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In case anyone is wondering.... The ride quality is not affected at all with the 2.5" Traxda kit. My X rides just as nice as stock (a lot better after i ditched the 20" wheels and got some real meat) Its still nimble while cornering and dosent sway or roll...its very stable even off road. I almost dont even notice the lift is there, at least until i pull up next to another X.

I can attest to this post. My ride quality is probably better than stock. It seems tighter after installing the Traxda kit.

I highly recommend it.

I love it!!

What are your specs on your wheels? 18x9? What's the offset? Do you think with a bit more offset you wouldn't have rubbing?

Can you take pictures of where they rub on the k-member and where they rub on the plastic?

I got the OK from the wife to do this...I'm trying to pick the right wheels and the right tire sizes.

You have a 265/65/18 BFG All-Terrains...

There is a 265/60-18, but BFG only has the Rugged Terrain in that size.
http://tire-size-conversion.com/tiresizes/265-60R18.htm

Or the safest bet for no rubbing would be the 255/60-18's:
http://tire-size-conversion.com/tiresizes/255-60R18.htm
(maybe Nitto Terra Grapplers? or General Grabber AT's?)

I don't want rubbing issues since my wife drives the car a lot. What do y'all think?

Oh an did you have any issues getting it aligned?

Looks like the specs on the MSR Style 114's are:

18x8" +35mm 82.8mm center-bore

The wheel that I'm considering are 18x9 and come in the following offsets:
-12 is 1.9" out further than 18"x8 +35
+1 is 1.3" out further than 18"x8 +35
+20 is .6" out further than 18"x8 +35

I wonder how much more offset would give enough clearance to not rub the k-member?

2dk06f4.jpg

I don't think you will be able to clear the k-member and the wheel well... If you go out more with the offset it will hit the well unless you get smaller tires. It ONLY rubs in reverse at full lock and it's not that much. I'll try and get a picture of the hump in the splash guard it rubbed on

Alignment was fine I got it done at the Ford dealer...no issues

OK, thanks for the info - please more pictures! I love looking at it. I need new tires so it's a good time for me to decide if I'm going to do this or not...

Since I have the Sport, I have 20's - and there isn't any good A/T tire options that will fit. So having to buy 18" wheels too makes this the more expensive route - which makes it harder to justify...

Mine came with 20s as well it's a limited...they don't ride well.

heres a few stock shots and the first set of aftermarket wheels i tried out before deciding to lift and get practical

Attachments

• ex1.jpg
    ex1.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,008
  • ex2.jpg
    ex2.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 934
  • ex3.jpg
    ex3.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 955
  • ex4.jpg
    ex4.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 953
  • ex5.jpg
    ex5.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1,047
  • ex6.jpg
    ex6.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 1,242

Heres my 2011 Limited with 32'' BFG TA/KO tores on MSR 18" wheels and 2.5'' Traxda Lift kit. Ive been putting my X through some tests...so far these new explorers are very impressive.

So far ive towed:
5100 Lb trailer from Tennessee to Ontario Canada
14,500 Lb Generator/Pump power plant trailer around trucking yard
Crashed Volvo day cab tractor (i have video of)
Mack Cement truck with engine trouble (no camera available)

Wow that Explorer is a beast! Looks great with the wheel / tire combo and lift. :thumbsup:

Feel free to give us a shout if you are ever interested in getting some more power out that sweet ride. We offer some excellent performance, and tow tunes that also allow us to correct your speedometer the larger tires if it's off. They would dramatically improve the shift points and firmness as well.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/

Actually I'd really like to do something about the shift points and performance of it...who should I ask for?

Here's the pump generator trailer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 855

After 180,000 km BOTH rear wheel bearings are no good...don't think it's due to the loft and tires, at least I hope not. Fronts are ok

The tires/lift sure give it a "meaty" look :)

After 180,000 km BOTH rear wheel bearings are no good...don't think it's due to the loft and tires, at least I hope not. Fronts are ok
Don't know about the lift but I would think the added weight of the larger wheels/tires would definitely put more stain on all the part.

Peter

That is great! The lift, the BFG tires, mushing through the snow and on the trail!:thumbsup:

Why doesn't Ford offer this as an option? I'm so tired of looking at Explorers and really seeing Taurus wagons, with the low ground clearance and the passenger car touring tires...:(

Bwana Bob

Bumping this thread because I haven't been on the form in a while.

Your explorer looks pretty awesome! How many km have you had the lift on for? I put bigger tires on my fiancée's Explorer, and now the passenger rear tire hits the front of the wheel well near the top when the suspension compresses far enough, and it's bothering me lol. So I am debating putting this lift on.

I've had it on for around 50,000 km now (I drive a lot) and I haven't found any down side yet!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How bad is the rub on the wheel well? Thinking of lifting and putting these tires on!

Back