2011 Limited-hvac won't change from dash to floor or defrost! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Limited-hvac won't change from dash to floor or defrost!

damiensmomma

Reaction score
City, State
DIckinson, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
It's been warm and dry for awhile and I had no need to change it until it rained tonight and I went to change to defrost and no matter what button I push it won't switch off the dash vents. I tried shutting down and restarting and tried pushing every single hvac selection there is and nothing. Anyone had this problem? I'm getting really sick of hauling this thing to the dealership for work:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's been warm and dry for awhile and I had no need to change it until it rained tonight and I went to change to defrost and no matter what button I push it won't switch off the dash vents. I tried shutting down and restarting and tried pushing every single hvac selection there is and nothing. Anyone had this problem? I'm getting really sick of hauling this thing to the dealership for work:mad:
Do you have the Base, XLT or Limited? If you updated that info in your profile it would show in the left margin. It currently says 2011 Ford Explorer but no indication of model. I believe the 3 models can all have different Climate controls and setups.
There have been posts about the blend door actuator becoming inoperative or stuck. I'm not sure if that might be your problem. If you read the TSB in the TSB thread it appears to have more to do with temperature changes.
12-1-8 DUAL AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL (DATC) - BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR INOPERATIVE

Peter

I believe I mentioned in my thread title that it is a limited? I saw the TSB but wouldn't the blend door issue only affect temperature change? That's what I understood when I read it.

I just had this TSB done but in my case the temp was hot on one side and cold on the other. The fix does involve a reprogram of the HVAC module so maybe that will help.

I believe I mentioned in my thread title that it is a limited? I saw the TSB but wouldn't the blend door issue only affect temperature change? That's what I understood when I read it.
You are correct. My mistake. I guess I have a habit of checking the info in the margin for the year/model. Yes, the TSB does refer to temperature changes a s I indicated but because it also involves reprograming the HVAC it may help. In any case I think a dealer visit is required. Not sure if a Master Reset would help. Doing that does delete some of your saved info/settings.
Good luck.

Peter

Alright I suppose I'll have to visit with them again then. Not too impressed with my ford dealer in the past. Last time that it went in to have the overheating issue fixed, they used the wrong jack points and crushed the little vertical metal piece underneath behind the front wheels and wouldn't admit to causing it. Maybe I'll have to try an out of town dealer this time :( out of curiosity, what is involved with a master reset?

Alright I suppose I'll have to visit with them again then. Not too impressed with my ford dealer in the past. Last time that it went in to have the overheating issue fixed, they used the wrong jack points and crushed the little vertical metal piece underneath behind the front wheels and wouldn't admit to causing it. Maybe I'll have to try an out of town dealer this time :( out of curiosity, what is involved with a master reset?
I'm not 100% sure but I think it sets everything back to the factory defaults. Members say that you have to set up your phone again and you may lose any saved favourites or POI's that you have stored for navigation.
Perhaps anyone who has done a Master Reset can jump in any advise.

Peter

Found the master reset. Tried it and it did not fix it, darn haha. Off to the dealer I go :s

Found the master reset. Tried it and it did not fix it, darn haha. Off to the dealer I go :s

Touch base with me after you hear back from your dealership, damiensmomma. If you need my assistance, I'll be happy to check out some options for you.

Crystal

Back