1. Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2011 Limited-hvac won't change from dash to floor or defrost!

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by damiensmomma, August 4, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. damiensmomma

damiensmomma New Member

City, State:
    DIckinson, ND
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2011 Ford Explorer
    It's been warm and dry for awhile and I had no need to change it until it rained tonight and I went to change to defrost and no matter what button I push it won't switch off the dash vents. I tried shutting down and restarting and tried pushing every single hvac selection there is and nothing. Anyone had this problem? I'm getting really sick of hauling this thing to the dealership for work:mad:

2. Support EF

Elite Explorer 2 for 1 Sale! $20 for 2 years!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Do you have the Base, XLT or Limited? If you updated that info in your profile it would show in the left margin. It currently says 2011 Ford Explorer but no indication of model. I believe the 3 models can all have different Climate controls and setups.
    There have been posts about the blend door actuator becoming inoperative or stuck. I'm not sure if that might be your problem. If you read the TSB in the TSB thread it appears to have more to do with temperature changes.
    12-1-8 DUAL AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL (DATC) - BLEND DOOR ACTUATOR INOPERATIVE

Peter

4. damiensmomma

damiensmomma New Member

City, State:
    DIckinson, ND
    2011 Ford Explorer
    I believe I mentioned in my thread title that it is a limited? I saw the TSB but wouldn't the blend door issue only affect temperature change? That's what I understood when I read it.

5. Zippyworld

Zippyworld New Member

2011 Explorer Limited
    I just had this TSB done but in my case the temp was hot on one side and cold on the other. The fix does involve a reprogram of the HVAC module so maybe that will help.

6. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    You are correct. My mistake. I guess I have a habit of checking the info in the margin for the year/model. Yes, the TSB does refer to temperature changes a s I indicated but because it also involves reprograming the HVAC it may help. In any case I think a dealer visit is required. Not sure if a Master Reset would help. Doing that does delete some of your saved info/settings.
    Good luck.

Peter

7. damiensmomma

damiensmomma New Member

City, State:
    DIckinson, ND
    2011 Ford Explorer
    Alright I suppose I'll have to visit with them again then. Not too impressed with my ford dealer in the past. Last time that it went in to have the overheating issue fixed, they used the wrong jack points and crushed the little vertical metal piece underneath behind the front wheels and wouldn't admit to causing it. Maybe I'll have to try an out of town dealer this time :( out of curiosity, what is involved with a master reset?

8. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I'm not 100% sure but I think it sets everything back to the factory defaults. Members say that you have to set up your phone again and you may lose any saved favourites or POI's that you have stored for navigation.
    Perhaps anyone who has done a Master Reset can jump in any advise.

Peter

9. damiensmomma

damiensmomma New Member

City, State:
    DIckinson, ND
    2011 Ford Explorer
    Found the master reset. Tried it and it did not fix it, darn haha. Off to the dealer I go :s

10. FordService

FordService Official Ford Rep

City, State:
    Dearborn, MI
    Touch base with me after you hear back from your dealership, damiensmomma. If you need my assistance, I'll be happy to check out some options for you.

Crystal