2012 Base Radio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Base Radio

hockeyrcks9901

Reaction score
I'm sure someone can answer this question really quickly for me.

I want to know if the Base model radio has a USB port and bluetooth?

If not, does the SYNC upgrade on the Base model support this?

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My base is very basic. Don't have any options on my Ex, so no hi-tech goodies like bluetooth and USB ports.

I'm sure someone can answer this question really quickly for me.

I want to know if the Base model radio has a USB port and bluetooth?

If not, does the SYNC upgrade on the Base model support this?

Thank you.
If you check out Ford.com it says that the base model comes with AM/FM single-disc CD player with 6 speakers. It also comes with Media hub with auxiliary input jack and courtesy light.
Options: Media hub with 1 USB port and courtesy light
Ford SYNC® Basic

Not sure if bluetooth is part of Ford SYNC package. Looking at the 2011 brochure for the base model, it shows a screen that shows Phone as a selectable menu item.

Peter

I just last month bought the 2012 Ford Explorer base model. I told them i did not want any upgrades. Well, the base radio has the add on of Sync for 250 bucks or so. With the base radio and the sync, i can use the blue tooth to make phone calls which has been really awesome. I also have a usb port in the center console and can charge my phone through it there and play music. I think it is awesome and now glad that i don't have the whole my sync radio it seems plagues everyone. I have been content with my set up. I went from 2005 ford excursion to the explorer. Sad that i gave up my big excursion. But love the gas mileage, better parking, and less maintenance of this explorer.

I just last month bought the 2012 Ford Explorer base model. I told them i did not want any upgrades. Well, the base radio has the add on of Sync for 250 bucks or so. With the base radio and the sync, i can use the blue tooth to make phone calls which has been really awesome. I also have a usb port in the center console and can charge my phone through it there and play music. I think it is awesome and now glad that i don't have the whole my sync radio it seems plagues everyone. I have been content with my set up. I went from 2005 ford excursion to the explorer. Sad that i gave up my big excursion. But love the gas mileage, better parking, and less maintenance of this explorer.

Okay. That's what I was thinking. I was just having trouble finding any dealership that had a Base model with both towing and SYNC. I have found a couple that are a little out of the way, but assuming they work with me on the price, I'll be happy.

Mind if I asked what you payed for it? They sent me a quote of around 28,500 before taxes and "fees". I'm getting a full quote today, and I'll see what these "fees" are actually for.

i am in California and it was 29,595. They used another credit company, so with the ford $1,000 i got it was 28595. The sync was the few hundred dollars extra, but worth it. I have an iPhone and it has worked great for phone calls. It was manufactured in Dec 2011 and i have not had any of the problems with it that have been listed on here. It was a little harder to negotiate because there are not any add ons and i gave them two vehicles for trade in, which i am sure they did not want, but i was wanting to unload.

That price seems pretty good, since mine does not have the towing. I had to add that myself after i got it. In California those taxes and fees amounted to 2,600 bucks more. The tax rate here is ridiculous. The 29,595 for mine was base model no options except sync. But i was coming from a base model 2005 ford excursion. There is nothing base about this car to me. I don't need all the other stuff, this still seems fully loaded to me, power everything, crazy that is base today. Oh, mine also did have the sirusxm radio with a 6 month subscription, so that was another 200 that was added on there. Did not have a choice on that, because it was hard for them to find a base model. Mine was 4 hours north in northern california, they had to send someone to get it.

The base model with no options does for "free of charge" come with Cracking Popping sounds every 12 to 15 minutes from the fan control knob area only when the heat is on. It is a designed to make you feel like you are sitting in front of a fireplace.

It also stops you from falling asleep on those long tiring days.

Thats funny, i have not tried my heater yet, i'll have to do that and report back

The base model with no options does for "free of charge" come with Cracking Popping sounds every 12 to 15 minutes from the fan control knob area only when the heat is on. It is a designed to make you feel like you are sitting in front of a fireplace.

It also stops you from falling asleep on those long tiring days.

Very true. It's cozy.

Okay. That's what I was thinking. I was just having trouble finding any dealership that had a Base model with both towing and SYNC. I have found a couple that are a little out of the way, but assuming they work with me on the price, I'll be happy.

Mind if I asked what you payed for it? They sent me a quote of around 28,500 before taxes and "fees". I'm getting a full quote today, and I'll see what these "fees" are actually for.

I wanted the base model + towing + sync and couldn't get it without an extra 3.5 k to get the XLT. Sync would be sweet! I paid 27,100 in November for my ex base + tow. about 29.? after tax + fees

Ran the heater today, burning up just to check for it, no noise. My runs just fine.

Does anyone know if USB/Aux can be added to a base radio that did not come with them? They were deleted from the base radio (stupid) in our 2012 Interceptor Utility, unless we added the $500 option to upgrade the entire radio. Ripoff.

Thanks

Back