2012 Explorer defective securicode keypad | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Explorer defective securicode keypad

smflatow

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer xlt
Picked up spanking new 2012 XLT and 2 days later the battery is completely drained. Seems Ford shipped cars with cracked keypads that cause a constant battery drain.
What a way to welcome a new Explorer owner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

S*** happens, and it could have even happened in transit. Take it to the dealer, that's why there is a warranty.

Stuff does happen

S*** happens, and it could have even happened in transit. Take it to the dealer, that's why there is a warranty.

Used Roadside Assistance to transport the car to the dealer, hope to have it back tomorrow. At least Ford is stepping up to the plate.

Used Roadside Assistance to transport the car to the dealer, hope to have it back tomorrow. At least Ford is stepping up to the plate.

How is Ford stepping up to the plate? Something was broken and is being repaired. It's SOP for every car manufacturer.

It's not like all 50,000 explorers coming off the line each year have the same broken keypad.

smflatow-

Sorry if things seem abrupt- it's just been that lately every little tiny thing that goes wrong with a new Explorer seems to turn into a call for heads, recalls, and "how can Ford sell these pieces of crap..." :)

Glad they're getting it fixed up for you, if you have more issues, we do have Ford reps on the site that can help escalate your concerns... :thumbsup:

Post up some pics of your new Ex! (When you get it back) ;)

No offense taken.
Apparently, Ford has admitted there is or was a quality control issue on the keypads rather than saying "the customer did it."
Will be glad to post a pic of what one neighbor has already dubbed the ice cream truck because of all white exterior.

It's not a matter of quality control with the keypad. It more than likely occurred in transit. If anyone was at fault, I'd say it was the dealer allowing you to take delivery with a cracked keypad. That is, unless I was rather difficult to notice, then it's just bad luck. I know when mine arrives, I'm going to be really thorough with making sure everything's cool before signing off. Good thing that Ford's pretty supportive with the warranty in general (not all the dealers, unfortunately).

It's not a matter of quality control with the keypad. It more than likely occurred in transit. If anyone was at fault, I'd say it was the dealer allowing you to take delivery with a cracked keypad. That is, unless I was rather difficult to notice, then it's just bad luck. I know when mine arrives, I'm going to be really thorough with making sure everything's cool before signing off. Good thing that Ford's pretty supportive with the warranty in general (not all the dealers, unfortunately).
You're 100% correct. The failure to be able to set a new passcode should have been a redlight to the dealer on delivering the vehicle, and a redlight to me on accepting it. Hindsight is always 20-20. But you are right in checking that the car is 100% no, ifs ands or buts, ready to go when you take delivery.

Are you still expected to get your Explorer back today, smflatow? I’m available to help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your region. For me to do that, please send a PM with your VIN, mileage, contact info, and dealer name/state.

...Glad they're getting it fixed up for you, if you have more issues, we do have Ford reps on the site that can help escalate your concerns... :thumbsup:...
Thanks for the shout-out, Joe Dirt! :)

Cory

You're 100% correct. The failure to be able to set a new passcode should have been a redlight to the dealer on delivering the vehicle, and a redlight to me on accepting it. Hindsight is always 20-20. But you are right in checking that the car is 100% no, ifs ands or buts, ready to go when you take delivery.

Clearly you'd never be able to verify electronic issues unless you're lucky, however cracks and physical damage (unless so minor they're near invisible) should obviously be handled by the dealer upon arrival. I apologize if I offended you by not reading further into your description of the issue:

cracked keypads

Back