2012 Explorer Emergency Brake removal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Explorer Emergency Brake removal

kfd217

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Base
Hi gang...Like many others my right rear brakes have been hanging up for some crazy reason! I have pulled the caliper twice and cleaned out any rust and replaced the rotors and pads. The dragging brakes have gotten a lot better but still happens. I got a whole new loaded caliper to hopefully get rid of the problem (for at least another 30K miles).....my question is what is the best way to remove the emergency brake from the caliper?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum kfd217.:wavey:
Are you no longer under the factory warranty period?

Peter

Thanks for the warm welcome Peter!.....you are correct...Im pushing about
48K miles on my explorer and I bought it in April of 2012....the brake problem started about 8 to 10 thousand miles ago and I have been able to put a bandaid on it!

Ok....I put the new caliper on this morning...to remove the e brake I used a screwdriver to push the spring back to fully compressed at the same time I needed to squeeze 3 prongs that encircle the cable and prevent the cable liner to pull back and it came right off.....I hope this fixes Fords problem which they were nice enough to pass off to us

I also had calliper issues. I use my Ebrake every day multiple times. My rear wheel was so hot I could feel the heat on my leg while getting gas. I then burnt my hand on the rim. Ford cleaned and re greased the slipers and said that they were causing the hang up. It seems to have been ok the last 3-4 months. I will know more when they measure the rear pads and I can see the wear. Pads went from 8mm to 3mm in a week. They replaced the pads as well.

No matter what I do or which tool I use, I can’t seem to get all of the prongs squeezed to pull the cable out of the holder.

No matter what I do or which tool I use, I can’t seem to get all of the prongs squeezed to pull the cable out of the holder.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Sorry, can't help with that problem. My dealer does all my work.

Peter

I think I pressed in one side, pushed it forward to hold the tab, then pressed in another, etc, and worked my way around.

Back