Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2012 explorer getting the 2.0 ecoboost

Discussion in 'Auto Industry News' started by techieman33, July 28, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. techieman33

techieman33 Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Topeka, KS
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    00 V8 Mountaineer
    http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/28/2012-ford-explorer-2-0-liter-ecoboost-to-net-20-mpg-city-28-hig/

The problems I see are the lack of available awd (fwd only) and the towing capacity basically goes to nothing at 2000lbs. The 28 mpg would be nice though.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.
  3. Paraphoe

Paraphoe Go big or go home Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Willow Grove, PA
    '97 XLT
    It's shaming the Explorer name. Just kill the line, and let it die in peace. This is painful to watch.

4. spacecadebt

spacecadebt Active Member

City, State:
    Geneva FL
    99 Ranger 2.5
  5. osteologation

osteologation Active Member

City, State:
    Caro, MI
    1994 Sport
    Well I don't discount the new explorer is a great vehicle and I like to see the ecoboost being used in more vehicles, I still don't think it's deserving or true to the explorer nameplate. It's a shame when with every new ford vehicle I like them less and less.

6. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
    What if you don't pull anything, and simply drive around town but need space for kids, etc?

Besides- wasn't the original Explorer a pickup truck?

7. 94Eddie

94Eddie Active Member

City, State:
    Northern VA
    2002 Explorer XLT
    I guess what it comes down to is the new Explorer can't be called a truck anymore. IMO, Ford has castrated it to some extent since it no longer shares a truck frame. I guess they made the right call since they can't build them fast enough.

8. coldfox

coldfox New Member

City, State:
    Ontario, Canada
    2002 Explorer Sport Trac
    In my opinion Ford ruined the explorer, it's just like any other small crossover now. It should have been given a new name, as it doesn't do the explorer name justice. So let's call it the castrated X.

9. 94Eddie

94Eddie Active Member

City, State:
    Northern VA
    2002 Explorer XLT
    I can understand why they did it. The sales figures support it. There just aren't that many people buying them that care about what type of frame it has. You and I are a dying breed and there just isn't enough of us left to have sufficient economic impact. The one I really hated to see go was the Sport Trac. Ford really needs a true four door Ranger model to replace it. It would sell like hotcakes, IMO.

10. coldfox

coldfox New Member

City, State:
    Ontario, Canada
    2002 Explorer Sport Trac
    I also hated to see the Sport Tracs go, they were a great truck. I was talking to a salesman at the ford dealer here (Canada) and he told me the reason they discontinued the ranger was because they weren't selling to well in the US. He also thought that Ford Canada should completely break away from it's parent company in the US, as they don't take into consideration how well certain models sell here before they discontinue them. He said that here, the Ford Ranger was a big seller and it was a mistake to discontinue them here. I then asked him what they (Ford) would bring out to replace the Ranger and he said he had heard that Ford was going to reintroduce the F-100's. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how true that is.

11. rickybobby

rickybobby Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Battle Creek, mi
    '97 XLT
    its sad if you want a full frame mid-size suv or a mini-truck you have to go with a different manufaturer anymore

12. spacecadebt

spacecadebt Active Member

City, State:
    Geneva FL
    99 Ranger 2.5
    Exactly how i feel. I wouldnt mind driving chevy blazer SS though.

13. coldfox

coldfox New Member

City, State:
    Ontario, Canada
    2002 Explorer Sport Trac
    Well, I just finished reading that article up above for the eco boost. So I have to put in my FINAL two cents. Big deal. I will say it again, Ford, you ruined a once great vehicle. Now the towing power is gone down from 5000 to 2000 pounds. Damn, you won't even be able to tow an outhouse with that reduction.Now, the explorer is more or less a family car. I can not see this vehicle handing really rough mountain terrain, steep hills, or extreme off roading like the older Explorers did.

14. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Explorer Addict

07 Camry
  15. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH
    If you read our 2011+ forums you'll see that they can't even handle pulling into a parking space without damaging the super low hanging air dam:( Now that's just sad.

I only hope that one day Ford will surprise us and bring out a new, rugged SUV.

16. osteologation

osteologation Active Member

City, State:
    Caro, MI
    1994 Sport
    Pretty certain that "explorer" was a trim level or something along those lines on the f-series along with "ranger".

17. X6StringerX

X6StringerX Well-Known Member

2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
    I gotta throw my vote in the hat too. Kill the Explorer name if it's going to continue down this road. While I know a lot of people were waiting on Ford to make this EXACT move, I just hate to have the name associated with it. My solution would be to offer an Edge and an Edge L (long). The L could have 3rd row seating, etc. It's time the Edge gets a total remake anyway.

PS - I'd like to se the Edge Sport get the 3.5 Ecoboost.

18. Bwana Bob

Bwana Bob Active Member

City, State:
    Morris Plains, NJ
    92 XLT
    Yeah, the more I see and read about the new Explorer, the more resolved I am to keeping my 1992 XLT running. She runs fine, but I'm fighting a losing battle against rust, and at 240,000 miles, something is bound to wear out sooner or later.

I don't see that Ford had much choice. They learned their lesson about name recognition when they replaced the Taurus with the "500", and the SUV market has been going on the politically correct crossover direction.

The Explorer is basically a minivan now, with 3 rows of seats and built on the Taurus passenger car platform.

My old Ex won't last forever, but there is no equivalent replacement for it. I thought about the Ranger, but it is being discontinued with no replacement other than the F-150, which is much too big for me. Even the Escape is going to lost its truck-like styling in a year.

I'm just really disappointed...

Bob

We Support Our Troops!