2012 Explorer XLT 4wd does not start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Explorer XLT 4wd does not start

Addam12

Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT 4wd
Hello. I had to replace my battery in my 2012 Explorer XLT 4wd as it had a crack at the post and was leaking acid. After I got the battery out, put the new one in, the car lights come on, everything appears to work, but I get a no crank with warnings on dash. I read the manual, and my entry keypad lights up, but no brake lights when pressing brake with key on. So, I am wondering if I read the manual right? Otherwise, what else should I check to get the vehicle running again?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Did you check the positive battery cable for signs of corrosion? There have been many posts about that. Make sure it has a good connection to the terminal.

Peter

I did and it is free of corrosion, as well as the ground. I can't get to the fuses as I am not that small, but everything appears to indicate the passenger compartment fuses are good as my entry keypad lights up. I let it sleep for 8 hours also.

Did you verify that the new battery had a good state of charge? The particular failure mode that you're describing sounds like low voltage from a new battery that may have been on the shelf for a bit.

Because I didn't have a garage to work in I had it towed to the dealership. It was an easy oversight to correct, but I didn't have my glasses on. When you disconnect the positive battery post by removing the 2 nuts on top you will disconnect not 2 but 3 wires! That back nut on top holds a third wire. If that wire is not connected, you will encounter a No Crank/No Start situation. That third wire got hidden behind the battery.

Back