2013 3.5L VCT Catalytic Converter R&R | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 3.5L VCT Catalytic Converter R&R

mkennedy100

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Been away from the forum awhile. In that time I traded in my 98 Sport for a new 2013 Limited with the 3.5L Ti-VCT V6. My 2013 now has about 141k miles on it. About 4 months ago I got the P0420 code. In the last month it has been joined by the P0430 code. No other codes have surfaced nor any issues with the engine performance that I can detect. Spark plugs were changed at 120k miles. I’ve cleared the codes and they consistently return. Used my scan tool to graph the voltage of both downstream O2 sensors and both waveforms are oscillating up & down in a manner that would indicate a failing cat. Gonna snoop around a little more first but, assuming the cats need replacement, has anyone done this job? I searched and searched and could not locate any practical advice for this generation Explorer.

The FSM gives only the obvious steps (remove 02 sensors, remove heat shield, disconnect Y pipe from converter and move Y pipe aside, remove 6 manifold nuts and then the converter/manifold). Sounds way too easy! As I visualize the steps from above and underneath the vehicle, it just does not seem possible that there is enough space to R&R the cats without removing other (maybe major) bits and pieces. Can anyone offer any tips or more detailed guidance? If I get the confidence to tackle this job, I’d be happy to take pictures and post back to the forum.

Thank you! -Mike

"New Member....joined 2002", hmmm. Anyway, thanks for the recent water pump, timing set post too. I did the front cat/mani cause mine leaked like crazy. It was easy and there was tons of room. All of the studs will come out of the head. None of the nuts turned and the studs are torqued down less to boot. Buy 6 studs for each cat/mani you replace. The rear I did not do, but I think I read/saw somewhere if you take off the intake manifold, which is pretty easy, you can get it out the top/back of the engine, but this may be wrong advice, have to climb in or under and look to see whats up. I think there may be an A/C or something line in the way? Hell, if you've done the water pump/timing thing you're way more than qualified to do the rear cat. The exhaust moves down and to the side as much as you want it to once you disconnect it and there's only one y-pipe gasket, on the front one, the rear is a compress fitting. Here are some posts I've commented in about the job....

Apparent Exhaust Leak and Gasket/Manifold Replacement Questions
New to the forum and need some advice

Thanks for the reply, runningonfords! Yes I smiled too at the “new member” tag even though I joined years ago. Maybe I was not active enough to graduate beyond newbie status. Honestly this community seems to always have everything covered and I never had much new to contribute! Even on my 2013 Ex, it has or had all the usual well-documented ailments (ptu leak and failure; fuel module leak and recall, paint bubbling on lip of hood, door panel nonsense, oil saturated air filter, water pump failure, water leak at rear most speakers, etc). I’ll be doing front and rear hubs next and will post a walkthrough (unless that’s been covered already). I think I’m due new struts too as there’s a funny bong/kung sound from the strut mount region when turning the steering wheel while stopped or moving slowly. I may hold out a bit longer on that though. At over 140k miles I’m not too put off at having to replace struts or hubs. Even the water pump was no surprise at that mileage. I got lucky and still had warranty coverage when the PTU ran dry and toasted itself.

I missed your prior post on manifold replacement. Thanks for sharing the link. Seems like the front cat should be totally doable. I’ll look more at the rear cat this evening. That’s a good idea to consider taking the rear cat out from the top side if there’s room after removing the intake manifold. I had blinders on and was hung up on maneuvering it out only from underneath. More to come!

Were you able to replace the rear catalytic converter? And if so was it easy? Did you remove it and slide it up? Any pointers. I need my rear cat replaced and was thinking of doing it my self. Thanks

Back