2013 Explorer IPMA B12D8 Trouble Code (possibly lane departure warning related) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer IPMA B12D8 Trouble Code (possibly lane departure warning related)

albguy40

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Ltd. AWD
Good evening all,

I bought a neat little OBD scanner that scans all vehicles modules recently and decided to hook it up to my 2013 Explorer. I have previously fooled around with similar type devices when I used to have a VW and an Audi and did my own maintenance. To my surprise, out of the 27 modules that this Autel scanner scanned I got a single DTC. The error I got was on the IPM-A (Image Processing Module A) and the code is B12D8:13-2A. I am very curious if any of you geeks out there have a Work shop manual and knew what the code really means.

The only short description I have for it is "Mirror Heater Output"... Nothing else. I tried to see if there were any live data PIDs i could monitor but I did not see anything regarding the heater output. I have a feeling this code has something to do with the intermittent lane departure system messages I get on cold days when I start the car up. For some reason on days when it snows or even just dew the car throws a message asking me to clean the front windshield/camera screen or something along those lines. The lane departure warning still works and the above error code disappears on its own within a few minutes of driving. A little research has lead me to believe that the front camera has a heater that is supposed to activate in cold weather. I am curious if there was any way for me to check the parameters for this heater (wattage, temp or whatever)...

I am sure someone with a workshop manual can probably see what the diagnostic procedure is to try to see what the issue is. Since the camera is sealed, there is no way to clean anything inside it...

Any help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm quite sure the lane departure camera doesn't have a heater. I haven't read that it does in any of the Explorer Owner's Manuals. The camera is in the cabin and wouldn't require heating and any obstructions should be cleared by the wipers. As the description you found seems to indicate, it is likely an issue with your heated mirrors.

Peter

Your senses are on, it has a defroster grid to clear the unit of ice.

It's showing B12D8:13 as a circuit open. "An on-demand and continuous memory DTC that sets in the IPMA if a lower than expected current draw is detected on the IPMA camera heated windshield element output circuit."

Are you in warranty still? The pin-point test is pretty basic--no magic PIDs.

Your senses are on, it has a defroster grid to clear the unit of ice.
Do you have any info on how or when the heater comes on? Is it tied to the defrost system? Curious. Thanks.

Peter

Peter--good question. Per docs, system "may" activate the heater when ambient is below 41F/5C.

Thanks for the replies guys. I took the plunge and erased it and it has not come back yet. With winter right around the corner I have a feeling that the message I get asking me to clean the screen is definitely related with this code. I still have about a year of the Ford ESP warranty left but have a pretty high deductible. I will probably wait it out and wait for the next thing to break so I can get a couple things at once fixed. That warranty has been a lifesaver with this car...

The most common failure I've seen on the heater circuit for windshield cameras is the solder joint on the windshield.

I have to pull this one out of the archive, but I have this DTC as well.
@albguy40 maybe you read this and could help, how this issue was resolved?

@sheltonfilms do you know where the solder join is located on the windshield?

I have to pull this one out of the archive, but I have this DTC as well.
@albguy40 maybe you read this and could help, how this issue was resolved?

@sheltonfilms do you know where the solder join is located on the windshield?

Just look at the defrost grid in front of the camera. Those traces will eventually terminate at a solder pad where wires come off it to be connected to the harness.

I will check the next days, thanks. Maybe I accidently pulled a wire during my moon roof motor repair.

Back