2013 Explorer Limited difficult start after refueling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Explorer Limited difficult start after refueling

PapaJDub

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Ltd
Hello,

My '13 Ex Ltd (37k miles) recently developed an interesting problem. After refueling the vehicle, it is difficult to get it to start. After pushing the start button, the engine will crank for about 8-10 seconds before finally starting, and the Check Engine light is on.

Between fill-ups, the problem does not happen, but the Check Engine light stays on. When I go to fill the gas tank up again (I do not top off), I will experience the same issue again.

A few months ago, the dealer replaced the Fuel Delivery Module due to recall. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Any suggestions? My ex just hit 37k so it's not under factory warranty anymore...

Thanks!

I would think if it had anything to do with the fuel delivery module that it would happen all the time. After you fill up, do happen to notice if the flap in the fuel inlet closes completely? Also, if the 'Check Engine' light is on it is an indication that something isn't right. Has your dealer checked for any possible stored error codes or have you run a Vehicle Health Report?

Peter

Hello,

My '13 Ex Ltd (37k miles) recently developed an interesting problem. After refueling the vehicle, it is difficult to get it to start. After pushing the start button, the engine will crank for about 8-10 seconds before finally starting, and the Check Engine light is on.

Between fill-ups, the problem does not happen, but the Check Engine light stays on. When I go to fill the gas tank up again (I do not top off), I will experience the same issue again.

A few months ago, the dealer replaced the Fuel Delivery Module due to recall. Not sure if that has anything to do with it...

Hi PapaJDub,

I recommend bringing this to the attention of your dealership. They'll perform an inspection and recommend next steps. Once you've had your visit, let me know if you need help and I'll be happy to look into some options. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Back