• Register Today It's free!

2013 explorer sony mft add

barnsY90

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 2013 explorer with the 4" sync screen (not sure what the proper name is for this) and I'd like to change it to the 8" sony screen (I think they call that myford touch?). What components do I need to purchase and what are the recommended aftermarket vendors?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe there are a few members who have added something similar to their Explorers but I haven' t found the posts. Also, I doubt very much that you will be able to get all the functionality of the OEM system. There have been several posts stating that 'Navigation' cannot be added after the vehicle leaves the factory. The MyFord Touch system uses an Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) and I'm not sure that your Explorer would have that. The APIM is the 'brains' of the MFT system. I'm sure other members may have a better understanding of what you wish to accomplish. Good luck.

Peter

If I were to take an apim sync2, 8" screen from say a 2012 Edge (Not Fusion), without factory Nav, but has a GPS module and the ACM, and using forscan. Can I swap those parts into a 2015 PIU with Factory Sync1, or what else would I need to make this setup function with Navigation? I'm thinking maybe the complete wiring harness or at least the apim connector.

Also if it was the Sony sync2 components, would that be any different?

Would you be able to take the RKE module or RKE Antennas out of 2011-2015 Ford Edges/Fusions/F150s and install them into a 2015 PIU? Would start/stop button and fleet keys make a difference? I believe they do, but I dont know for sure.

My goal is to Have an 8" screen with Navigation, Phone, Aux/Bluetooth, and Remote start w/Defrosting ability w/out Honk, on my 2015 PIU. I do have Forscan. Additional stuff include adding 150w Inverter and Lightup cupholders, but that won't apply much to this thread.

If I were to take an apim sync2, 8" screen from say a 2012 fusion, without factory Nav, but has a GPS module and the ACM, and using forscan. Can I swap those parts into a 2015 PIU with Factory Sync1, or what else would I need to make this setup function with Navigation? I'm thinking maybe the complete wiring harness or at least the apim connector.

Would you be able to take the RKE module or RKE Antennas out of 2011-2015 Ford Edges/Fusions/F150s and install them into a 2015 PIU? Would start/stop button and fleet keys make a difference? I believe they do, but I dont know for sure.

My goal is to Have an 8" screen with Navigation, Phone, Aux, and Remote start on my 2015 PIU.
I would recommend since you are making the swap to avoid Sync2 and find Sync3 parts instead. You'll need the Touchscreen, a GPS APIM, a fakra GPS antenna, wiring harness to wire in the APIM, a USB hub from a Sync 3 vehicle and its cable as well as the FCIM (trim panel that has HVAC controls on it) for the new 8" screen. Then you will need to make some changes in Forscan for everything to work properly.

Can't help with the RKE stuff as I'm not super familiar with the 2011-2015 PIU's but I'm sure someone might chime in; I'd assume the easiest way to add keyless entry and remote start to one that doesn't have the OEM RKE is a standalone remote start from 12volt Solutions or getting a Fortin EVO all and programming it yourself.

If I were to take an apim sync2, 8" screen from say a 2012 fusion, without factory Nav, but has a GPS module and the ACM, and using forscan. Can I swap those parts into a 2015 PIU with Factory Sync1, or what else would I need to make this setup function with Navigation? I'm thinking maybe the complete wiring harness or at least the apim connector.

My goal is to Have an 8" screen with Navigation, Phone, Aux, and Remote start on my 2015 PIU.
FWIW 2012 and earlier fusions have the older style sync units not sync 2. Also a fusion has the wrong screen style (Explorer uses recessed style screen, fusion uses flat). Last thing, if your PIU doesn't have sync/bluetooth (push phone and if it says mute on the screen then you don't) it's much more complicated to swap.

So after a few salvage yards around Nampa Idaho, I saw the GPS Antenna Wiring 'spidered' all the way through the Big Harness to the Passenger side on along the floor on SUVs or through the center console on the Mustangs, then up towards the rear where those antennas were, so instead of ripping everything out in the salvage yards, I'll just buy it online new since it's cheap enough for me.

This link has a Fakra GPS Antenna, uncertain of quality. Know of a better one or does brand matter much?

Amazon product ASIN B0BX9WPYSV
I have two 8" Screens w/APIMs & Plugins that I cut off, though I'm just going to buy the Sync 1 to Sync2/3 Harness anyway haha. One 8" screen+APIM from 2016 Escape Titanium (Sony), the other from 2012 Edge (Sony), so I have two to experiment with, I don't care that it's Sony, unless that makes a difference with the Navigation and Rear Climate Controls/Module compatibility. Current Climate controls (& Rear) are on the FCIM Panel (Sync 1 stuff) I'll add photos also when I figure that out. I have 3 total Sync 1 APIMs also. Two ACMs from same Sync2/3 vehicles also.

I do want the Climate controls for the rear to stay (not in the center console). So does the Sync 3 APIM, Sony FCIM work with the current '15 Climate Control Module or Can I Use the current FCIM?

Found a USB Hub & Center Console Harness in that 2016 Escape that I had to snatch, so after awhile I'll be wiring that in once I get a 2013 Explorer Sport Center Console, I know I'll need to cut some plastic and fill some holes.

FWIW 2012 and earlier fusions have the older style sync units not sync 2. Also a fusion has the wrong screen style (Explorer uses recessed style screen, fusion uses flat). Last thing, if your PIU doesn't have sync/bluetooth (push phone and if it says mute on the screen then you don't) it's much more complicated to swap.

Yes you are right! It was a 2012 Ford Edge. Thank you, I'll make a noticable edit not to confuse others.

Can't find the add photo button, have a bunch on my phone..

When you ask whether I have Sync or not, my answer is 'technically'. Phone, Sync & Aux (Line In) were not working (But are there taking up valuable real estate), you press the button and the screen exits out immediately or doesn't change the screen at all!!. Forscan said there was an Internal System Fault. HOWEVER, I was able to find the black APIM (Sync Module) & the 4" Screen from a 2017 Fusion, yes fusion lol, and install those two things and it worked right away without any Forscan or wiring changes, the Phone buttons on the steering wheel don't function, maybe update the Sync Module, [4" Screen worked, but had a Deep Scratch in it].

With the original Sync module the Steering wheel Phone buttons had worked after making Forscan changes to test the buttons for function.

Anyways I have Bluetooth linked to my phone now and all the Sync options work, Clock & Date doesn't save, but updating might fix it.. This is going to be a backup solution if the 8" Screen experiment doesn't work out. So happy to play music on my phone at least.

The 2012 Edge APIM doesn't have Nav, so I guess that'll be another backup depending if it works.

I'm guessing I'll need a different Front Control Infotainment Module that's compatible to the Screen+APIM, and Climate before I can test the 8" Screens out. Both Screens are from a Sony System, does anyone know or can confirm if the plugins are the same for Sony and Non-Sony Front Panels (FCIM, also are they the same for 2012 & 2016)?

I would recommend since you are making the swap to avoid Sync2 and find Sync3 parts instead. You'll need the Touchscreen, a GPS APIM, a fakra GPS antenna, wiring harness to wire in the APIM, a USB hub from a Sync 3 vehicle and its cable as well as the FCIM (trim panel that has HVAC controls on it) for the new 8" screen. Then you will need to make some changes in Forscan for everything to work properly.

Lets say after I purchase the Sync 2/3 wiring Harness, Do the Sony and Non-Sony have the same plug in?

Here's the link for the Harness that's compatible for 2011-2019 Explorers. This one has a 4 pin USB plugin also, I do have the Dual USB Port (lights up too) with that style, though I don't see a different plugin for the FCIM unless the radio plugs into it or not used.

Lets say after I purchase the Sync 2/3 wiring Harness, Do the Sony and Non-Sony have the same plug in?

Here's the link for the Harness that's compatible for 2011-2019 Explorers. This one has a 4 pin USB plugin also, I do have the Dual USB Port (lights up too) with that style, though I don't see a different plugin for the FCIM unless the radio plugs into it or not used.

What trim and year is your explorer? Seems I replied to the OP who has a 2015 police interceptor. Does your explorer have dual zone and rear climate controls already? A picture of your current FCIM would help.
To answer simply tho on the FCIMs 2011-2015 share the same style 6pin connector. I am unsure if the wires are in the same positions between premium and non premium systems however.
The 6 pin plug that connects the FCIM changed in 2016. Still 6 pin but a 3x3 style opposed to the straight line of 6 in the 2011-2015.

What trim and year is your explorer? Seems I replied to the OP who has a 2015 police interceptor. Does your explorer have dual zone and rear climate controls already? A picture of your current FCIM would help.
To answer simply tho on the FCIMs 2011-2015 share the same style 6pin connector. I am unsure if the wires are in the same positions between premium and non premium systems however.
The 6 pin plug that connects the FCIM changed in 2016. Still 6 pin but a 3x3 style opposed to the straight line of 6 in the 2011-2015.
The margin profile shows he has a 2015 PIU.

Peter

Yes you are right! It was a 2012 Ford Edge. Thank you, I'll make a noticable edit not to confuse others.

Can't find the add photo button, have a bunch on my phone..
I don't know if the "Insert Image" works for you. I add pics directly from my computer. You can as well if you buy the Elite Explorer membership.
Right now you can get 2 years for $20. See the top of the page.

Peter

Any 8” FCIM will work from the same year range (2011-2015 and 2016-2019) they’re not interchanagable outside of those year ranges as they changed the plug and network. Even if you get one with buttons for features you dont have or don’t get buttons for a feature you do have they can be disabled with Forscan and or any function you’d want will be on the screen. All climate functions are available regardless of FCIM used.

Any 8” FCIM will work from the same year range (2011-2015 and 2016-2019) they’re not interchanagable outside of those year ranges as they changed the plug and network. Even if you get one with buttons for features you dont have or don’t get buttons for a feature you do have they can be disabled with Forscan and or any function you’d want will be on the screen. All climate functions are available regardless of FCIM used.
That last bit is not entirely true. The PIU comes with manual single zone climate control in almost all cases. Very rare to see one with rear climate. However almost all the 8” equipped models come with at minimum dual zone, and typically rear. My swap required a new HVAC control module with the “auto” function to work properly. Can provide module #s if needed.

The margin profile shows he has a 2015 PIU.

Peter
Sorry on mobile, don’t make it a point to click 3 times to get into someone’s profile. Which is sometimes wrong and not updated. Figured asking wouldn’t hurt.

That last bit is not entirely true. The PIU comes with manual single zone climate control in almost all cases. Very rare to see one with rear climate. However almost all the 8” equipped models come with at minimum dual zone, and typically rear. My swap required a new HVAC control module with the “auto” function to work properly. Can provide module #s if needed.
Rear is irrelevant with the correct settings its there or not and front single just requires reversing the control wiring which the correct harness/wiring would accomplish.

Sorry on mobile, don’t make it a point to click 3 times to get into someone’s profile. Which is sometimes wrong and not updated. Figured asking wouldn’t hurt.
You don't have to. Hold the phone in the Landscape position. I try my best to ensure that the member's info is up to date when reading the posts.
I usually send several PMs a day about that.

Peter

Rear is irrelevant with the correct settings its there or not and front single just requires reversing the control wiring which the correct harness/wiring would accomplish.
If you can make the manual hvac module operate as an auto I’d love to know how. Wouldn’t make much sense to stock multiple part numbers if they were all the same. But I suppose I’ve seen dumber things.

Yes I have a 2015 PIU 3.7L. My FCIM controls the rear Blower and Heat. The rear Blower is in the back drivers side pillar, it blows onto the foam and under the rear seat. Doesn't seem like a good place for it to blow hot air, but it still gets the rear pretty hot. Haven't melted anything yet lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I wonder if the Dual Climate Control option from the 8" FCIMs would work the same with my setup, since my FCIM has the Specific Rear Climate Control Buttons, I'll post a photo of it once I get on my laptop and try it, I like this forum and feedback from you guys so I may just get that $20 subscription.

Back