2013 Ford Explorer Sport Problems

Chuter

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi guys,
I am new the forum as I have just purchased my first Ford ever. It is a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport that I took delivery of in February of this year. It was a great vehicle, until my problems started in July. At 5000 kms, as I was driving down the highway, I could hear a humming noise coming from the back left tire. Turns out that it was a faulty bearing. Good thing that I found out, because two days after, I was driving down to Florida.
From there, I just had the fuel delivery module replaced as per the recall last week. While the dealership was replacing the module, they noticed that there was a leak around the crankshaft seal. So this was replaced while they were fixing the recall.
Then on the weekend, while driving on the highway, the check engine light came on. I haven't gone to the dealership yet, but I hope that it is related to the service that was done, and not something totally different.
The problem I am having is that I didn't spend that much money on a new vehicle to have the numerous issues with it. For my first Ford, this doesn't build much confidence in the vehicle and it's quality. I am truly considering trading the vehicle in for something other than a Ford product.
Has anyone had any similar problems?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remove the battery terminals wait 5min then put them back see if that resets the check engine light. You could have had a bad start up and the oxygen senors set the light off...!

Don't pull your battery cables until you get the code read. Go to an auto zone or similar to read it for free. You don't want to clear the code in case it is an issue Ford needs to see.

Hi guys,
I am new the forum as I have just purchased my first Ford ever. It is a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport that I took delivery of in February of this year. It was a great vehicle, until my problems started in July. At 5000 kms, as I was driving down the highway, I could hear a humming noise coming from the back left tire. Turns out that it was a faulty bearing. Good thing that I found out, because two days after, I was driving down to Florida.
From there, I just had the fuel delivery module replaced as per the recall last week. While the dealership was replacing the module, they noticed that there was a leak around the crankshaft seal. So this was replaced while they were fixing the recall.
Then on the weekend, while driving on the highway, the check engine light came on. I haven't gone to the dealership yet, but I hope that it is related to the service that was done, and not something totally different.
The problem I am having is that I didn't spend that much money on a new vehicle to have the numerous issues with it. For my first Ford, this doesn't build much confidence in the vehicle and it's quality. I am truly considering trading the vehicle in for something other than a Ford product.
Welcome to the Forum Chuter.:wavey:
There are all kinds of posts about various issues with the 5th generation Explorer. Most owners, including myself, are very happy with the vehicle and have had few if any problems. Unfortunately there are others that have had the same issues as you have encountered although the bearing and leaking seal are not a problem that is common. A few unlucky members seem to have one issue after another. I suggest that you scan through the threads to see what people have posted so that you will be familiar with some of them. The main issues seem to center around issues concerning, Water Leak, Bad Smells and loss of power steering/Terrain Management Fault. Just look to see which threads have had the most views.
Good luck and happy motoring to Florida. :thumbsup:

Peter

Hi guys,

Hi Chuter,

Welcome to the Ford Family! :D Let me look into a few things for you before you decide anything too radical. ;) Please PM me your VIN, odometer reading, full name, best daytime phone number, and dealer. I'll get the ball rolling for you.

Bianca

So, just as a follow-up, I took my Explorer into the dealership to scan the check engine light. It came up with a fault, saying there was an air leak somewhere in the system and that is causing a poor air fuel mixture. The service guy told me that it might have come from when they replaced the fuel delivery module and to take it home and drive it to see if the light comes back on. On my way home, just getting on the highway, I am on the accelerator and the whole truck starts to stutter and lose all acceleration. I pull over and call the dealership. I take it back in and they keep it over the weekend. They replaced the evap canister in the fuel system and say everything seems fine. After having it for a few days, just under normal acceleration, the light comes on again. I take it to another dealership on Monday and they run the codes and the same code comes up. they reset and updated an epm module (?) I think and said that they hope it would fix the problem. Sure enough, today, while driving, the light comes on again. I can't believe this keeps happening!! After buying a brand new vehicle, I shouldn't be spending this much time in for repairs.

So, just as a follow-up, I took my Explorer into the dealership to scan the check engine light. It came up with a fault, saying there was an air leak somewhere in the system and that is causing a poor air fuel mixture. The service guy told me that it might have come from when they replaced the fuel delivery module and to take it home and drive it to see if the light comes back on. On my way home, just getting on the highway, I am on the accelerator and the whole truck starts to stutter and lose all acceleration. I pull over and call the dealership. I take it back in and they keep it over the weekend. They replaced the evap canister in the fuel system and say everything seems fine. After having it for a few days, just under normal acceleration, the light comes on again. I take it to another dealership on Monday and they run the codes and the same code comes up. they reset and updated an epm module (?) I think and said that they hope it would fix the problem. Sure enough, today, while driving, the light comes on again. I can't believe this keeps happening!! After buying a brand new vehicle, I shouldn't be spending this much time in for repairs.

Could it be your turbo line? There was an issue with a loose turbo hose that kept coming off and caused loss of power.

It wasn't a turbo line, it was one of the CAC tubes popping off from a loose clamp. I believe it was the lower tube.

I love how dealerships say we "reflashed" it.. I'd love to know what this special reflashing does besides just clearing the codes. There hasn't been any updated PCM software programs.. Just a way for them to sound like they did something when they didn't.

I also bought a 2013 Explorer Sport in February. Only issue so far was blown off CAC tube (don't know if it was upper or lower). That took an overnight at the dealer to check everything out and re-attach the tube (told them about CAC tube threads on explorerforum). There has been an issue with 3.5 L. ecoboost intercoolers in F150's where rainy weather / high humidity causes moisture to condense in intercooler and cause power loss / shuddering. Don't know if that could be an issue for Chuter or not.

Welcome to the world of Ford. Mine is less then 2 yrs old and has spent close to a month in the shop for various problems at different times. I bought a new veh to avoid the repairs of an older one, but alot of good that has been!

Welcome to the world of Ford. Mine is less then 2 yrs old and has spent close to a month in the shop for various problems at different times. I bought a new veh to avoid the repairs of an older one, but alot of good that has been!

You're telling me... I made the mistake of buying a second new ford and the fusion is giving me tank noise problems at full tank.

I took my Sport back into the dealership again for the check engine light. I was mistaken last time when I said that they reset the epm module, it was the powertrain module. This time, the dealership ordered an O2 sensor that is located around the catalytic convertor. I hope this helps. I have decided to trade the vehicle in for a new 2014 Explorer Sport. I really hope that I am not making a mistake. I don't have much confidence in Ford right now.

I took my Sport back into the dealership again for the check engine light. I was mistaken last time when I said that they reset the epm module, it was the powertrain module. This time, the dealership ordered an O2 sensor that is located around the catalytic convertor. I hope this helps. I have decided to trade the vehicle in for a new 2014 Explorer Sport. I really hope that I am not making a mistake. I don't have much confidence in Ford right now.

Just out of curiosity, why are you trading from a 13 Sport to a 14 Sport? I can only imagine the hit you are going to take on the trade in value.

My dealer did a search for 2013 Sports and couldn't find any that match what I was looking for. It is around an $8000 hit to the pocket book. I was looking into a GMC Acadia Denali but that was almost $20000 because they are almost $10000 more brand new and don't have the turbo. I am upset about the Ford Esp and fmpp which I purchased for the 2013. It is costing me $1400 to cancel the old one and put the same coverage on the 2014. I purchased both for $3200 and they are crediting me $2600 for the unused portion but I only had it for 6 months. to get a new one, it is cost in me $4000 saying that the prices have gone up. I almost want to cancel the Esp and fmpp but I will lose the credit.

you can get an extended warranty at any time during the first 3 years of the standard warranty. The price difference is negligable, and then you can decide what year and mileage you want it ran to, since you can pair different mileages with different # of years. Well worth the $100 extra to buy the extended warranty at just before 3 years, than buying it up front unknown of what the future holds.

My dealer did a search for 2013 Sports and couldn't find any that match what I was looking for. It is around an $8000 hit to the pocket book. I was looking into a GMC Acadia Denali but that was almost $20000 because they are almost $10000 more brand new and don't have the turbo. I am upset about the Ford Esp and fmpp which I purchased for the 2013. It is costing me $1400 to cancel the old one and put the same coverage on the 2014. I purchased both for $3200 and they are crediting me $2600 for the unused portion but I only had it for 6 months. to get a new one, it is cost in me $4000 saying that the prices have gone up. I almost want to cancel the Esp and fmpp but I will lose the credit.

Sorry, confused on your reply. Are you saying you bought a 2013 without options you wanted so that is why you are getting a 2014?

By the way, the prices haven't gone up. You should cancel the ESP and request a refund check, not credit towards the new one. Then go through my contact, he will sell you both the ESP and the Maintenance plan for $100 over cost. You won't lose that money at least and you can buy them anytime during the 3yr/36k, if you buy it within the 1yr/12k, you will save $150-$200, depending on the plan as they charge you a fee after the 1yr/12k.

After 30 days, your ESP and maintenance plan are prorated so you will take a small hit on it but you can cancel and get a check back.

My Ford Explorer Sport 2013 is the biggest hunk of junk I've ever owned. Shift to park issues, Gear box replaced, hit the gas and the steering wheel aggressively pulls to the left, rear liftgate issues, oxygen sensors replaced, and now they say the engine needs to be replaced at just over 100k miles at a price tag of $11k. Almost a $60,000 USD price tag and I get 100k miles out of it and headaches from it the entire time.

Whats worse, Ford doesn't fix it's mistakes. The shift to park issue can be found on many models of Ford and all over the web. Ford ignores it and saddles their customers with the problem.

It's time to give another auto manufacturer the opportunity to win my business.

My Ford Explorer Sport 2013 is the biggest hunk of junk I've ever owned. Shift to park issues, Gear box replaced, hit the gas and the steering wheel aggressively pulls to the left, rear liftgate issues, oxygen sensors replaced, and now they say the engine needs to be replaced at just over 100k miles at a price tag of $11k. Almost a $60,000 USD price tag and I get 100k miles out of it and headaches from it the entire time.

Whats worse, Ford doesn't fix it's mistakes. The shift to park issue can be found on many models of Ford and all over the web. Ford ignores it and saddles their customers with the problem.

It's time to give another auto manufacturer the opportunity to win my business.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The engine itself is just over $5100. Engine for 2013 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear La

Peter

Back