• Register Today It's free!

2013 front center console removal

glbarneson

Reaction score
City, State
Costa Mesa, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer
I need to get under/behind the door that covers the storage area in front of the shifter (Mine says Microsoft on the latch button) several items have slid through the slot behind the door and storage compartment and the door will neither open fully or shut. it looks like I have to remove the console to access this area. I need an exploded diagram of the console from below the radio to the back of the armrest or diagrams showing where the fasteners are that secure the above areas. Thank you in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try sneaking under the lid and grabbing the obstruction with your fingertips first. I had to do this too and managed to avoid pulling it apart.

I agree with champco if at all possible try to sneak it out. However if you need to get behind there it’s not that difficult. There are two ways of going about it:

Radio Removal:
For this you will need some sort of plastic trim removal tool, and a ratchet with a metric set of sockets (sorry I forget exactly, most likely an 8mm, or 10mm)
Start from the top edge of the silver trim located to the left and right of your radio controls with the trim removal tool to pop the top clip loose. Work your way down popping the trims clips loose. Finally remove them by pulling straight towards you. Then you must remove 4 screws that retain the entire radio/HVAC control unit-trim piece. The entire unit from the air ducts down pulls towards you with very little pressure applied. At the bottom rear edge of that control panel there is one wire connection point that you must unclip. 4 bolts hold the lower CD portion of the radio in place, remove those 4 bolts and unclip the 4 wire harnesses attached to the rear of the CD unit and it will slide out towards you. At this point I would imagine this would give you access to get at the area those items have fallen into. If not…

Console deconstruction:
This is a little more difficult but still do-able in just a few minutes. First start off by opening your armrest, next in the floor board area on both passenger and driver side you need to work the the consoles side trim pieces lose (You can do this with your hands) working your way back towards the rear of the console, be careful not to break any clips if possible. You will only need to pop these pieces of trim off to the point of the front of the armrest opening. I suggest leaving the rear most part attached. Next lift the latch cover from both sides using even pressure it is clipped into place on both sides. (part#3) in the diagram KK239 provided. Beneath that piece of trim there is a single screw located on the passenger side (part#5), remove that screw. Lift the tab where the screw you just removed was. You will have to work your fingers underneath to remove the clips holding the entire center portion of the console out. It then pulls up and out at an angle.

You will have to pay attention to your gear select lever, Terrain management knob and any Aux power-points in your particular Explorer as I am not entirely sure how to work around some of those as they are not present in my particular vehicle. Hope this helped, and if you need any clarification or extra help just let me know. I’m sure more than just you will benefit from this thread.

A credit card has disappeared behind the compartment below the center stack/ USB port door. Does anyone know which panel to pry off first to gain access to the elements behind the center stack. There are layers of plastic panels in the foot well that I am afraid to pull off first only to learn had I pulled of "that" one, I wouldn't have broken this clip or that clip.
Thanks.

A credit card has disappeared behind the compartment below the center stack/ USB port door. Does anyone know which panel to pry off first to gain access to the elements behind the center stack. There are layers of plastic panels in the foot well that I am afraid to pull off first only to learn had I pulled of "that" one, I wouldn't have broken this clip or that clip.
Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this one found using the 'Search' feature (upper right). I don't think that there has been any change made to the console since this thread was started. Hopefully you can find enough info to help you out.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this one found using the 'Search' feature (upper right). I don't think that there has been any change made to the console since this thread was started. Hopefully you can find enough info to help you out.

Peter
Thanks! For my 2016' I ended up pulling the passenger side lower plastic panel gently off and retrieved the card. The middle portion closest to the shifter was easy and posed little threat to snapping clips. The one nearest the firewall was more resistant. It did come off cleanly and without issues. Reinstall required snapping in the one nearest the firewall first and then pushing in the others.

I've pointed out to my wife the card holder slot in the arm rest compartment to avoid this mishap in the future.

Back