2013 Limited Ds2 Retrofit | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I live in Ma as well. I had that problem until I added a relay harness. 100% reliable now, always leave the lights in auto mode.

Are you talking about a relay with a timed delay? Any more info on it? I'm using the relay harness from TRS.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you talking about a relay with a timed delay? Any more info on it? I'm using the relay harness from TRS.

I have a coolbulbs.com kit and I had to fit a relay harness with a time delay. It was about $10 on ebay. If you have the TRS relay harness you should be able to swap the relay for a time delay one but if you contact TRS directly they should be able to help.

Just a regular relay. I also had problems with slim ballasts which had external ignitors, switched to my old thick ballasts with the ignitor built in, now it operates 100% Very frustrating to get right.

Was wondering if you can add a timed delay relay on a 13 LTD with OEM HIDs, and the stock wiring harness?

Is the relay in the wiring harness or is in the engine compartment fuse box?

If its in the wiring harness how would you install the relay?

Tired of lights coming on for the last four feet driving into the garage and every time you start the Ex. Wife doesn't went to mess with turning light switch off and on all the time.

Was wondering if you can add a timed delay relay on a 13 LTD with OEM HIDs, and the stock wiring harness?

Is the relay in the wiring harness or is in the engine compartment fuse box?

If its in the wiring harness how would you install the relay?

Tired of lights coming on for the last four feet driving into the garage and every time you start the Ex. Wife doesn't went to mess with turning light switch off and on all the time.

You already have a software time delay built into the on board computer. Check the left menu, under vehicles settings and set the delay to a higher time.

You already have a software time delay built into the on board computer. Check the left menu, under vehicles settings and set the delay to a higher time.

The delay you are referring to is to keep the lights on after exiting the vehicle with about 5-6 settings.

I'm referring to delaying the HIDs and and ballasts from firing up for that split second when the vehicle is started every time, and when driving into my garage the lights come even on sunny days before I can shift into park.

I believe the 10 second time delay that others have mentioned would save a lot of wear on the ballasts and HID bulbs.

So the question remains can I add the delay to my OEM HIDs, if so where does it install at?

Thank you for the detailed explanation of your HID conversion, it will make my job easier next Wednesday when I begin my conversion from Halogen Projectors to HID Projectors.

My parts list so far
Bi-xenon: Hella EvoX-R EVOXR-R Projectors
HD Relay Harness: 9005
D2S: Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI Bulbs
D2S: Morimoto 3Five Ballasts
OCI Butyl Rubber Glue
High Beam Splitters 2 x 9005 Male > 9005/9006 Female
Silica Gel Moisture Packs

Did I forget anything?

Was your relay the 9005 relay ?

I just want to make sure I purchased the correct parts

Thank you for the detailed explanation of your HID conversion, it will make my job easier next Wednesday when I begin my conversion from Halogen Projectors to HID Projectors.

My parts list so far
D2S: Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI Bulbs
D2S: Morimoto 3Five Ballasts
OCI Butyl Rubber Glue
High Beam Splitters 2 x 9005 Male > 9005/9006 Female
Silica Gel Moisture Packs

Did I forget anything?

I originally had the full 9005 kit to install in my stock projectors(factory halogen). I then swapped to EVOX-R projectors, D2S bulbs and ballasts, I used the harness from the original kit. I did not need any splitters for high beams. My stock halogen high beam wires plugged directly into the evox-r projectors. I do not know if this if different with factory HID.

If anything i would recommend OEM branded bulbs and ballasts. I find the morimoto bulbs take a while to "burn in" and my morimoto ballasts did not always start in the cold weather. I have not seen any issues since summer hit though, so it could be the weather or the fact the bulbs have more hours on them. Either way i suggest you go with the more expensive Denso ballasts, i plan to get these if my problems come back this fall.

I originally had the full 9005 kit to install in my stock projectors(factory halogen). I then swapped to EVOX-R projectors, D2S bulbs and ballasts, I used the harness from the original kit. I did not need any splitters for high beams. My stock halogen high beam wires plugged directly into the evox-r projectors. I do not know if this if different with factory HID.

If anything i would recommend OEM branded bulbs and ballasts. I find the morimoto bulbs take a while to "burn in" and my morimoto ballasts did not always start in the cold weather. I have not seen any issues since summer hit though, so it could be the weather or the fact the bulbs have more hours on them. Either way i suggest you go with the more expensive Denso ballasts, i plan to get these if my problems come back this fall.

I completed the retrofit
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397594
Posts begins on#162 last page, it should be a dedicate thread not moved into a bulb swapping thread
I used your Projectors and Osram 66240 CBI's bulbs

Anyone have an idea of where to get just the amber lens for the turn signal on the inside of the headlight without buying the whole headlight assembly? Did a headlight mod this weekend and tried to spray them with night shades and it melted the plastic lol. Ended up building them back up with quick build, sanding them and just painting them black (I put led switchbacks in so I don't need them). But I'd like to have some spare amber lenses on hand in case I decide to go back some day or in case one of the switchbacks ever fails. Can't find anything but the entire assembly anywhere so if anyone knows where they can be located I'd be grateful.

Anyone have an idea of where to get just the amber lens for the turn signal on the inside of the headlight without buying the whole headlight assembly? Did a headlight mod this weekend and tried to spray them with night shades and it melted the plastic lol. Ended up building them back up with quick build, sanding them and just painting them black (I put led switchbacks in so I don't need them). But I'd like to have some spare amber lenses on hand in case I decide to go back some day or in case one of the switchbacks ever fails. Can't find anything but the entire assembly anywhere so if anyone knows where they can be located I'd be grateful.
Have you spoken with the dealer parts department to see if the lens is even available as a stand alone item? Looking at a couple of the parts sites it doesn't appear that the amber is a separate item.

Peter

Since the housings aren't intended to be opened, I doubt they would sell them separately. Maybe look for junkyard or eBay ones you can crack open.

Ya I know they aren't intended to be opened so i figured they'd only sell the complete assembly. Was more wondering if anyone had a "junk parts guy" lol. Was thinking of the eBay route but even the guys with the broken assemblys want too much. Will call around to local junkyards. Thanks guys.

Hello, is my first thread, im from Dominican Republic, my explorer have led bulbs and sucks, i read a lot of thing about retrofit in our explorer and i have a couple o questions, this is my parts list:

D2S morimoto XB 35 ballasts
OCI Butyl Rubber Glue
D2S: Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI Bulbs or D2S: OSRAM XENARC 66240 NIGHTBREAKER
FORD (3"): MORIMOTO XB LED (
bought today)

I only buy the morimoto fogs led, they are 5500k ( pure white ), my questions is: wich is better with the fogs, the cbi (5500k) or the night breaker (4300k) ? wich is better in the rain ? Thanks a lot.

Welcome to the Forum Manuel.:wave:
I have merged your thread with this existing one.
If you talking about the original head lights that came with the Explorer, they are Halogen, not LED. It sounds like you are replacing them with HID head lights and installing LED fog lights. Unfortunately I can not tell you which LED fogs are better. I never use fog lights in the rain, only with fog, sometimes. Here is a thread I found on the fogs using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature in the upper right of the page. Not sure if it is useful; http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/fog-light-projector-retrofit.412442/

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Manuel.:wave:
I have merged your thread with this existing one.
If you talking about the original head lights that came with the Explorer, they are Halogen, not LED. It sounds like you are replacing them with HID head lights and installing LED fog lights. Unfortunately I can not tell you which LED fogs are better. I never use fog lights in the rain, only with fog, sometimes. Here is a thread I found on the fogs using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature in the upper right of the page. Not sure if it is useful; http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/fog-light-projector-retrofit.412442/

Peter

Thanks, my explorer came with halogen, i put plug and play led.

Thanks, my explorer came with halogen, i put plug and play led.
If you changed the head lights to LED and the lighting is bad, have you tried turning the LED bulbs? Another member had the same problem and was told to turn the LED bulb and it made it better.

Back