2013 myford touch voice recognition does not work with ANY contacts from my iphone4s | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 myford touch voice recognition does not work with ANY contacts from my iphone4s

LauraBelle

Reaction score
City, State
Baton Rouge, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
Hey y'all! I need help, i'm so frustrated and exhausted with this issue - i bought my BRAND NEW 2013 Explorer XLT on JUNE 7th, 2012 - EXACTLY 5 weeks ago today. And for the past 5 weeks i have been in and out of the dealorship trying to get them to fix my sync.

MyFord touch sync voice recognition in my explorer understands ALL commands EXCEPT when i get to phone & say "Call... (Name)" then it doesn't understand AT ALL. It will even let me do "Phone"... "Dial #####"... but it will not use my contacts name from my Iphone 4s.

WEIRD PART- it DOES work with everyone elses IPHONE 4s... so you would assume something is not right on my iphone settings? well i've tried changing everything... and MY PHONE EVEN worked on the loaner Ford Fusion the dealorship put me in. :dunno:
The salesman has literally thrown his hands up - his words exactly.. "I dont know what to tell you, i've never even seen this before" UGHHHHH
I've been in and out of there service department 5 times and each time i leave they THINK its fixed... it never is... :(:(
THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING! I worked so hard to be able to buy this vehicle... MY FIRST VEHICLE I"VE BOUGHT ALONE
Someone please help me... :banghead:
Thanks,
LauraBelle*

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey y'all! I need help, i'm so frustrated and exhausted with this issue - i bought my BRAND NEW 2013 Explorer XLT on JUNE 7th, 2012 - EXACTLY 5 weeks ago today. And for the past 5 weeks i have been in and out of the dealorship trying to get them to fix my sync.

MyFord touch sync voice recognition in my explorer understands ALL commands EXCEPT when i get to phone & say "Call... (Name)" then it doesn't understand AT ALL. It will even let me do "Phone"... "Dial #####"... but it will not use my contacts name from my Iphone 4s.

WEIRD PART- it DOES work with everyone elses IPHONE 4s... so you would assume something is not right on my iphone settings? well i've tried changing everything... and MY PHONE EVEN worked on the loaner Ford Fusion the dealorship put me in. :dunno:
The salesman has literally thrown his hands up - his words exactly.. "I dont know what to tell you, i've never even seen this before" UGHHHHH
I've been in and out of there service department 5 times and each time i leave they THINK its fixed... it never is... :(:(
THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING! I worked so hard to be able to buy this vehicle... MY FIRST VEHICLE I"VE BOUGHT ALONE
Someone please help me... :banghead:
Thanks,
LauraBelle*

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have an iPhone 4s as well and I've never encountered the issues you are having. Have you tried a master reset, then repairing your iPhone?

Did you download your phone contacts to MFT?

Also, within the phone, goto settings, bluetooth, then click the right arrow of the "sync" entry, and make sure it is set to sync contacts.

Did you download your phone contacts to MFT?

Also, within the phone, goto settings, bluetooth, then click the right arrow of the "sync" entry, and make sure it is set to sync contacts.

yeah all the contacts are downloaded - i can scroll through them and even call by the touch screen but when i try to call them by name through the voice command it wont recognize any names i say.

i've even downloaded them - deleted them & REdownloaded them again. :(

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have an iPhone 4s as well and I've never encountered the issues you are having. Have you tried a master reset, then repairing your iPhone?

Do you mean reseting my phone? i haven't done that just because i'm scared it will delete everything. i compared all my settings to one of my friend's phones i've connected and everything worked with... and all settings were the same.

i will try that though - at this point i am starting to loose hope :(

Do you mean reseting my phone? i haven't done that just because i'm scared it will delete everything. i compared all my settings to one of my friend's phones i've connected and everything worked with... and all settings were the same.

Hi, LauraBelle!

How do you have your contacts listed in your phone: First Name/Last Name, Last Name/First Name, all CAPS? Make sure you are saying the names exactly how they are listed in your phone and in the Phonebook on MyFord Touch. If your contacts are in all CAPS, you'll have to spell out the names.

You can also hear how SYNC pronounces the name by selecting a contact and pressing the button that looks like a speaker. :)

Let me know if you have any questions!

Rebecca

Hi, LauraBelle!

How do you have your contacts listed in your phone: First Name/Last Name, Last Name/First Name, all CAPS? Make sure you are saying the names exactly how they are listed in your phone and in the Phonebook on MyFord Touch. If your contacts are in all CAPS, you'll have to spell out the names.

You can also hear how SYNC pronounces the name by selecting a contact and pressing the button that looks like a speaker. :)

Let me know if you have any questions!

Rebecca

okay i've tried everyones advice and tips... still won't work. :( anything else?
I even read through almost every chapter in the manual trying random things... nothing. :thumbdwn:

okay i've tried everyones advice and tips... still won't work. :( anything else?
I even read through almost every chapter in the manual trying random things... nothing. :thumbdwn:

Please send me your VIN in a private message and I'll see if anyone around here has encountered this issue. Out of curiosity, have you spoken to Apple about this yet?

Rebecca

I meant resetting MFT and then repairing your phone and downloading your contact list again to MFT.

To do a master reset, you click on settings (next to home button), then click on system at the left, then scroll down and select master reset.

What response does it give when you try to voice dial a contact?

For instance, If you say "call joe jones at home", what is the response from MFT?

Make sure your MFT is not set to the expert mode, so that all of the response is given.

Any updates on this?

Just found this thread, and I have the EXACT same issue with my Samsung Galaxy S2. Most of the other commands work OK (Sirius, ect), but EVERY time I say 'Call first_name last_name', it doesn't understand that I said call. If I just say 'Call', then it asks for the name, but doesn't understand anything past that point - tried different names, ect. Just upgraded to 3.5 hoping this was corrected, and I think it's actually worse. I did a master reset after the upgrade, still same issue. I'd like to know if someone was able to figure this out ;)

Thanks for you time,

I have an iPhone 4S and have had the exact same problem since the recent upgrade. All other voice commands worked, except, 'Call _____’. The little symbol that shows the system is listening would display on MFT screen, but it was almost like it couldn't hear me.

I finally scheduled an appointment with my dealer for later this week, and lo and behold started working yesterday! No explanation. Now if I can only get my BT to play...

Resolution?

Hi all, I have a Sport with <600 miles and when I try to "call jenni on cell" it says downloading...please wait. Then nothing happens. I don't know what it's downloading??? All the contacts are on the touchscreen and I have done a reset. This used to work....

New to MFT, and probably a stupid question....
but do you have to say phone first to put it in listen mode on phone ?

just trying to see how this relates to our previous cars with voice recognition...

New to MFT, and probably a stupid question....
but do you have to say phone first to put it in listen mode on phone ?

just trying to see how this relates to our previous cars with voice recognition...
Just press the button and say "Call __________" and it will find a contact and dial.

There is a complete MFT manual online and comes with the car that tell all about it.

I have an iPhone 4s and the Sync in my Mustang will only work if I say Last Name first, then First Name...

I have same issue along with a few other v3.5.1 bugs

It was suggested to me by a Senior Tech at IVT that I turn off Auto Download of phonebook and see if that allows for a better Bluetooth handshake between MFT and my iPhone5.

Unfortunately with Apple going with a non standard Bluetooth protocol it doesn't always allow for proper connection.

Sometimes the phone will connect through BT but then streaming audio through BT will not.

Lets hope theres an update coming soon for iOS products......or maybe theres relief coming with iOS7 this summer.

Voice recognition on iPhone 4s

On your iphone, Go to your settings > bluetooth> on the "sync" bar, press the> at the right. Then select "all contacts". This worked for me when faced with the same issue.
Good luck

On your iphone, Go to your settings > bluetooth> on the "sync" bar, press the> at the right. Then select "all contacts". This worked for me when faced with the same issue.
Good luck

Yes all contacts is checked, always has been.

Apples non standard BT protocol is more to blame.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My friend has a 13 fusion and his mft wouldn't recognize phone book entries because he had emoji's and other characters in the phone book names !;-!?. Same thing it would download but because they r characters and not letters, (remember emoji's show up as :) instead of a smiley face) it can't pronounce them. iPhone 4S unk software, he changed to normal spelling John not JOHN, Joe not JOE deleted phone and then repaired with new phone book and it worked. Worth a try. My ex is on a week old so I can't speak from personal experience (wife wont let me drive it)

Back