2013 Sport - First Oil Change *Filter Question* | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Sport - First Oil Change *Filter Question*

exilepa

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ruby Red Sport
The Sport is due for it's first oil change and I'm thinking of just doing it myself.

Can anyone here that did their first change on their own advise me how hard the filter was put on at the factory? I've had nightmares in the past getting the factory gorilla tightening loose and would rather let the dealer do the first change if this is the case again. Thanks!

With a proper oil filter cap/wrench, I don't see this being a problem. Just make sure you loosen the oil filter FIRST before draining the oil, incase you have a problem, then you can still drive over to the dealership.

I changed it myself... I was surprised it wasn't too bad. It seemed like it was torqued to spec. If I remember I could almost get it by hand (with a fair amount of grunting and groaning...

The worst part was trying to get the cooler duct back in place without straining the mounting points. I needed a pliers for the quick disconnects. And a wood block to support it at one end.

I'll do it again for piece of mind--and using what I want when I want!

I changed the oil in my Limited a couple of weeks ago and the filter was barely hand tight. Any looser and it would have been leaking. That said the filter is VERY easy to get to. Unlike KPW, I don't have a turbo so there's nothing in the way of the filter. Once loose, it's a real mess as it drains down the sides of the filter. Next change I'm going to punch a hole in the bottom of the filter first.

Back