2013 Transmission Flush | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2013 Transmission Flush

The transmission holds a total of almost 12 quarts of fluid. However, only a fraction of it will drain from the bottom of the housing using the drain plug.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The hotter the transmission is, the more fluid would come out during a drain, always check the level when it is suspect.

I had a similar situation today on my 2013 limited, while performing a drain and fill.
I started it up with the mass airflow sensor disconnected, and the transmission at the low line.

Errors and alerts. Transmission clanged, and bucked hard. It was bad.

I remeasured how much came out, and added another 3/4 quart. I disconnected that negative battery terminal and cleared the computer.

10 minutes later, I connected mass airflow and battery. Started it up and ran thu the standard learning procedures. Transmission was smooth as silk.

I just performed a drain and fill on my 2014 limited. At ~43k miles, I was surprised at how dark the fluid was.

I estimate that I removed a little over 4.5 quarts based on the catch pan that I have. I drained it on a hot transmission. I refilled with 4.5 quarts and like others have mentioned, reading the dipstick is tricky. It looks like it might be just slightly overfilled, but I plan to check it again in the morning when the trans is cold.

As Ford Tech Makuloco says on his YouTube channel, change the fluids every ~30k if you can!

As Ford Tech Makuloco says on his YouTube channel, change the fluids every ~30k if you can!

He says in another of his videos that the Mercon LV fluid will turn darker soon after it is installed into the transmission. It is a trait of the fluid and doesn't necessarily mean the fluid is bad or not protecting the transmission.

Back