Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2014 Explorer - Air Temp Sensor

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by CPEvansOSU, August 8, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. CPEvansOSU

CPEvansOSU New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2014 Explorer XLT
    Hi All! I have a 2014 Explorer XLT that is having air conditioning issues and I believe I've properly identified the issue as being a fault air temp sensor (part DY-1160). However, I'm at a loss on how to access it to swap it out. I can see the part behind the front bumper/cover, but the cover doesn't appear to come off in anyway. I'm thinking I need to access the compartment after taking off the grill. Does anyone have experience with this and can lend me knowledge? TIA!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. k1w1t1m

k1w1t1m New Member

City, State:
    Centerton AR
    2010 Sport Trac Ltd
    I'm thinking that is the wrong temperature senser you're looking at. For A/C issues I'd be checking the cabin temperature sensor.

4. CPEvansOSU

CPEvansOSU New Member

2014 Explorer XLT
    The issue seems to arise when the main computer registers an outside temperature that is significantly below the actual temperature. Example, it is 85 outside, but it registers 20 degrees. When that happens, the AC stops blowing cold.

5. CPEvansOSU

CPEvansOSU New Member

2014 Explorer XLT
    Just to ensure a resolution on this ... I was able to determine that the plastic grill in front the sensor can be carefully detached and pushed back towards the sensor, allowing much easier access to the sensor. A quick sensor swap and snap the grill back into place. Outside temperature jumped back to reading normal and the AC has worked well. *Knock on wood*