2014 Explorer Limited 4 Cyl Turbo - P0088, P0300 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Limited 4 Cyl Turbo - P0088, P0300

ExpCa

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited
Hi everyone,

Looking for some help diagnosing an issue with a 2014 Limited 4 cylinder with about 80k miles.

It’s started running rough, hesitation/jerky, mostly upon acceleration. We also noticed a bit of an exhaust smell when the cabin fan was on while idling at stop lights. The vehicle is otherwise nearly new and hasn’t had prior problems.

CEL came on and codes P0088, P0300, P0302, P0303 and P219A are stored.

Given the misfire codes, I went ahead and replaced the spark plugs since it was easy, but seems to have made no impact.

I’m not sure how to test P0088 - fuel rail bank 1 pressure too high.

I’ve read a number of sites that seem to point in a half dozen different directions; replace fuel injectors, replace coils, replace MAF, possible catalytic converter issue.

What’s the most logical troubleshooting progression given common failures?

Thanks for your advice!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuel pressure sensors are a somewhat common problem for Ford. I've replaced more than a few in fusions. They are not terribly expensive, maybe $30-40.

Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered a replacement fuel pressure sensor for fuel rail location. Looks like it’s fairly easy to replace. It looks like there may be another sensor on the fuel line.

For what it’s worth, I had similar symptoms about 6 months ago. I ran a bottle of fuel cleaner through and it seemed to go away.

Would a bad sensor cause an intermittent problem?

Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered a replacement fuel pressure sensor for fuel rail location. Looks like it’s fairly easy to replace. It looks like there may be another sensor on the fuel line.

For what it’s worth, I had similar symptoms about 6 months ago. I ran a bottle of fuel cleaner through and it seemed to go away.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

On the Ecoboost fusions I've done, some have been intermittent/on and off. It is the high pressure sensor on the rail, not the low pressure one on the fuel line that would need to be replaced if p0088 - not sure if the explorer sensors are the same.

On the Ecoboost fusions I've done, some have been intermittent/on and off. It is the high pressure sensor on the rail, not the low pressure one on the fuel line that would need to be replaced if p0088 - not sure if the explorer sensors are the same.

Awesome, the high pressure sensor is the one I ordered. Should be here Wednesday. I found a video online showing the replacement steps, though it was the version prior to my 2014 body style. It seems fairly easy to replace, just need to make sure the engine is cold.

I saw a post on another Ford forum that the fuel system needs to be serviced by a professional mechanic because the turbocharged ecoboost engines are direct injection via high pressure fuel pump and the psi can range into the thousands. If the engine isn’t running, it doesn’t seem like this is an issue. Should I be concerned about fuel spray?

If the engine isn't running there won't be the high pressure concern but there will still be some pressure in the line. If you're worried about it you can pull the fuse for the in-tank pump and run the engine until it dies this will get ride of any in line pressure.

If the engine isn't running there won't be the high pressure concern but there will still be some pressure in the line. If you're worried about it you can pull the fuse for the in-tank pump and run the engine until it dies this will get ride of any in line pressure.

That’s a good idea. Hadn’t considered that. The video I saw just has a couple rags under the fuel rail and they back the nuts off the sensor slowly until the residual pressure is released around the seal.

The sensor on my model year has a different design; the sensor body itself is threaded and screws down into the fuel rail. Probably better to kill the pump and let it stall out.

I've been a Ford tech for over 30+ years and it's the method I use, just resealed a front engine cover on a 4cyl explorer last week :) I hope the sensor fixes your concern!

I've been a Ford tech for over 30+ years and it's the method I use, just resealed a front engine cover on a 4cyl explorer last week :) I hope the sensor fixes your concern!
Thank you! Really appreciate your expertise.

I’ll report back in a couple days once I get the sensor and install it. I hope it’s the fix. I’ll probably have many more questions if not:)

For anyone replacing the fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail in an ecoboost engine in the future, I found this video. They use the fuel pump fuse method 1sicbronconut recommended to drop the pressure in the fuel rail prior to removing the old sensor.

This video shows a Ford Fiesta, but the sensor looks identical to my 2L ecoboost Explorer engine.

FORD FIESTA FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR REPLACEMENT LOCATION MK7 ST

UPDATE:

I got the new fuel pressure sensor today and installed it. Worked like a charm! I can’t believe it was such an easy fix. Thanks to KayGee and 1sicbronconut!!!

I’m curious if I should be concerned about the cause of the sensor failure. Is there something else I should be checking?

A few notes for anyone in the future that runs into this problem:

- The fuel pressure sensor on the 2.0L ecoboost is located on the fuel rail on the left side of the engine (assuming you are looking towards the engine from the front bumper). It’s not immediately visible from the top of the engine, you’ll need to remove the engine cover and probably need a flashlight to locate it.

CB801A1A-16EB-461B-B286-7303C748F960.jpeg

This is what it looks like in the engine:

5EA18550-4495-4B2A-959A-D25C0AA40A4F.jpeg

- Put a rag underneath the sensor before you remove it because a bit of gas will drip out of the fuel rail. Follow 1sicbronconut’s recommendation to pull the fuse for the fuel pump (on my 2014, this is a 30A fuse in position 65 in the engine fuse compartment), start the car and let it stall. There was almost no residual pressure in the fuel rail following this method.

- There is a squeeze clip holding the plug on the back of the sensor. I was able to remove the connector easily just by squeezing the clip by hand, but if you have trouble, a small screwdriver can lift the clip holding the plug on the sensor.

- You’ll need a 1-1/16 deep well socket to back the sensor out of the fuel rail. It shouldn’t be hard to remove. < 1/8 of a turn with a socket wrench should break the tension and you can spin it out by hand.

- Thread the new sensor in by hand and snug it with your socket wrench. It doesn’t take much force; < 1/16 of a turn.

- Plug the new sensor in, replace the engine cover, and reinstall the fuse for the fuel pump.

- Turn the car on without starting the engine for a minute to allow the fuel pump to run and repressurize the system. Turn the car back off and then start it normally. I noticed the improvement immediately. No more stumbling and jerking.

If you have an ODB scanner, you’ll see a couple error codes caused by unplugging the fuel pump. I cleared all the stored codes and after a 25 mile test drive, nothing reappeared!

Here’s a couple pictures of the old sensor, including the part numbers if you have the same issue.

The replacement sensor was $49. It’s available on Amazon with free one day shipping.

7BF7F4A9-BC1F-450B-840D-44D0BC7BE78C.jpeg

6E0A4438-3CB2-4FCB-BD2F-D4E9E1CD053C.jpeg

E68FD5B7-4B5E-40F3-A4FB-15359D41D6F1.jpeg

On the fusions, there was an updated sensor part with minor changes, not sure exactly what they changed though or if it is same for explorer. Don't forget to check your local dealers. It's a common enough issue that most stock the part and you may find that your dealer has a decent online discount through Ford parts (order and pick up same day). My local dealer is ~$30.

On the fusions, there was an updated sensor part with minor changes, not sure exactly what they changed though or if it is same for explorer. Don't forget to check your local dealers. It's a common enough issue that most stock the part and you may find that your dealer has a decent online discount through Ford parts (order and pick up same day). My local dealer is ~$30.

Thanks, didn’t even consider reaching out to the dealer because I assumed they’d be more expensive. I’ll check on the updated part.

When you’ve replaced sensor in the fusions did you need to do any other related maintenance? The sensor alone seemed to completely fix the issue.

Thanks, didn’t even consider reaching out to the dealer because I assumed they’d be more expensive. I’ll check on the updated part.

When you’ve replaced sensor in the fusions did you need to do any other related maintenance? The sensor alone seemed to completely fix the issue.
My experience has been that the sensor alone fixed the issues.

Back