2014 Explorer Sport Livernois Tune Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Explorer Sport Livernois Tune Question

ezridermn

Reaction score
City, State
Forest Lake, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I just purchased the Livernois tuning system for my 2014 Explorer Sport. I live in an area where 91 octane fuel is everywhere but 93 octane availability is hit and miss. Therefore, my plan is to run a 91 octane tune.

I was thinking I would put the tune in my completely stock vehicle and leave it at that. But then I read that a 3 bar MAP sensor and a 160 degree thermostat would allow Livernois to give me a more powerful tune over the stock setup. The question is how much more performance can I expect? And in the end is it enough improvement to justify the hassle of those upgrades.

Note: I am not looking for a MAX power setup. Just good healthy boost in power. From what I have been reading I am confident if I just go with the 91 performance tune on my otherwise stock vehicle I am going to be more than happy with the performance improvement.

However, it there is an additional noticeable improvement in the overall performance compared to pure stock Livernois tune just by adding the MAP sensor and thermostat I would probably go that route.

What say you? Worth going for or pass because it doesn't make that much of a difference.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

An inexpensive bolt on that will help you take better advantage of a tune is a 3 BAR MAP sensor. It allows us to get better control of the boost that your car makes naturally. Your car on the stock tune and 2 BAR MAP from Ford wastes a ton of boost. The 3 BAR MAP sensor allows us to better measure, map and apply boost throughout the powerband. The best part is that it is only $75, and it will take you 5 minutes to swap out, pop off the plastic engine cover and remove a screw lol! The thermostat is another great part to add on because it allows your car to run more efficiently and will provide you with better driveability. To install it will take a little patience.​​
Take the intake tube off, remove the hose to the thermostat housing outlet. You will lose about a quart of antifreeze from that. Then remove the two 8mm bolts holding the housing outlet on. Once you pop out the stock thermostat you will lose another quart to half gallon of antifreeze. Put it back together in the reverse order. Let the engine run with the cap to the overflow tank off after I topped it off for about 15 minutes to get the air out. Just keep an eye on it and the temp gauge. After that take it for a quick drive then shut it down and let it cool completely. At that point you will see if you need to top it off. Hint, to make the process easier use a bucket or your engine cover to catch the fluid you spill. I honestly recommend the thermostat to everyone that gets a tune, it will not only allow you to push the car harder but it is cheap insurance from power robbing high turbo temps.

Thanks very much for the prompt response. It is much appreciated. How will the lower temp thermostat affect the interior heat in the wintertime. I live in MN so that is a consideration for me as well.

It has ZERO affect on your HVAC system. They are completely right hand VS left. There is no association between HVAC and coolant temps. We are in Michigan, so we know cold just like you LOL. We run our 160° tstat on all of our testers without issue!

I just purchased the Livernois tuning system for my 2014 Explorer Sport. I live in an area where 91 octane fuel is everywhere but 93 octane availability is hit and miss. Therefore, my plan is to run a 91 octane tune.

I was thinking I would put the tune in my completely stock vehicle and leave it at that. But then I read that a 3 bar MAP sensor and a 160 degree thermostat would allow Livernois to give me a more powerful tune over the stock setup. The question is how much more performance can I expect? And in the end is it enough improvement to justify the hassle of those upgrades.

Note: I am not looking for a MAX power setup. Just good healthy boost in power. From what I have been reading I am confident if I just go with the 91 performance tune on my otherwise stock vehicle I am going to be more than happy with the performance improvement.

However, it there is an additional noticeable improvement in the overall performance compared to pure stock Livernois tune just by adding the MAP sensor and thermostat I would probably go that route.

What say you? Worth going for or pass because it doesn't make that much of a difference.

Thanks in advance for your help!
I was in the same boat as you I have a 2014 Ex sport and was running the 91 Oct per tune ver 4.
I just upgraded to the TStat and 3-bar map sensor I got a new upgraded tune Ver 5. I will be applying my tune this weekend.
I do have two question for Livernois.
Do I apply the tune then install the 3-bar map sensor or install the 3-map sensor and then apply the tune?
Also just to be clear the Map sensor is top of intake manifold?
Sorry if I just hijacked the OP :)

Top of the intake manifold, correct.

As long as you do not start the car the order does not matter. You can install the MAP sensor then tune or vice versa. As long as the car is never running you have nothing to worry about.

I was in the same boat as you I have a 2014 Ex sport and was running the 91 Oct per tune ver 4.
I just upgraded to the TStat and 3-bar map sensor I got a new upgraded tune Ver 6.

Is the latest tune now Version 6? If so, how does it compare to v4 & v5?

I was just sent V5 when I ordered my tuner Wednesday.

V5 IS THE MOST CURRENT VERSION AVAILABLE, THERE IS NO VERSION 6.

I just want to make that clear before we get drowned with requests lol!

V5 IS THE MOST CURRENT VERSION AVAILABLE, THERE IS NO VERSION 6.

I just want to make that clear before we get drowned with requests lol!

Ha ha.. Okay, that's what I thought. You never know what tweaks you guys might come up with, so best to ask since it was mentioned, then miss out. :D

I hear ya! I just wanted to quash the tsunami that was headed our way with that post lol.

Opp's that was my bad. Yes VERSION 5

I'm looking at doing the livernois tune with plugs, 3bar and tstat, my question is how much benefit is there to also do the thunderstorm CAI? what's the power difference?

I'd rather not get one to keep it looking stock in case of failure and going in for warranty work, esp if there isn't a significant power gain.

Thanks.

This post sold me. Ordering the new plugs, 3bar map and tstat.

Livernois, I just placed my order. What do I need to get the new tune?

I'm looking at doing the livernois tune with plugs, 3bar and tstat, my question is how much benefit is there to also do the thunderstorm CAI? what's the power difference?

I'd rather not get one to keep it looking stock in case of failure and going in for warranty work, esp if there isn't a significant power gain.

Thanks.

The benefit at that level of modification is a respectable 12-14hp! Once you add on more parts later that number will inflate almost instantly! Exhaust mods like downpipes really bring out the benefits of having a quality CAI.

Livernois, I just placed my order. What do I need to get the new tune?

Firstly, thank you for your business and following us on the forums!

Whenever you add more parts to your car all that you have to do is shoot a Tune Request Form over to our calibration dept at tuning@livernoismotorsports.com.

OK request sent. Do I need to have the plugs and tstat installed before installing the new tune you guys will send me? I am clear on the MAP sensor, but wanted to install the sensor and tune and then just have my dealer do the tstat and plugs with the coolant flush

We recommend having the tuning and mods done simultaneously (or as close as possible). You can install the tune after you pick her up from the dealer as well. This way you are not taking your vehicle in with any non-Ford calibration on it. This is probably what I would do if I were you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back