2014 FWD Explorer - Rear Wheels Spinning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 FWD Explorer - Rear Wheels Spinning

Jim Marshall

Reaction score
City, State
warsaw indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 XLT Explorer
My wife just recently got a 2014 FWD Explorer. She told me last week that her rear tires would spin when going around a corner or on take off. I told her it was impossible, as hers is a FWD only. I thought maybe the brakes were dragging or some suspension issue. I jacked it up and check the rear end and could not find anything. Has anyone ever heard of something like this before?
Thanks All

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

She said that it would do it on dry pavement. Not sure whats going on?

Welcome to the Forum Jim.:wave:
Just curious as to how she would know that the rears are spinning. Are they squealing/laying rubber? As you stated, being a FWD only Explorer they wouldn't be powered.
Also, I don't recall any posts about the rears "spinning" on cornering regardless of FWD or AWD. Have you driven it?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Jim.:wave:
Just curious as to how she would know that the rears are spinning. Are they squealing/laying rubber? As you stated, being a FWD only Explorer they wouldn't be powered.
Also, I don't recall any posts about the rears "spinning" on cornering regardless of FWD or AWD. Have you driven it?

Peter
I've oversteered before and had my rears spin out a bit on my Explorer. However, it is AWD, and this happened at the peak of winter with all season tires.

Not sure how OPs wife managed to do that though.

Hi Peter,
No I haven't driven it yet. I have asked her to take me out this weekend and show me what she is talking about. No she said that it does not make the squealing/laying rubber sound. I am curious to see what she is talking about. I doubt the they rears are spinning, as it is only a FWD. But the is something happening, my wife is very attentive to anything out of the normal going on with her car.
Thanks,
Jim

My wife just got home from work. I spoke to her about the rear spinning. I told her that I did not think it was anything to do with the rear tires. I made sure she understood the concept of front wheel drive, I said that if her tires were spinning it would have to be the front. After a little more conversation, she said that when it happens she just waits for it to get traction... I asked if she could feel any feed back through the steering wheel, she said no. I told her that if her front tires were spinning that she should feel something through the steering wheel. She said she feels nothing through the steering wheel, she said it just happens random when it happens. She said that it has happened when the road is wet, and when it is dry. She told me that it usually happens at the same spot. There is a stop light where it happens, which happens to be on a small incline. I told her from the sound of it, it sounds more like a transmission issue and not the tires spinning. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Jim

Is it possible the fronts are spinning and she's just not feeling anything through the steering wheel. When my camry spins the fronts from a stop light, I don't feel much of anything in the wheel.

As I was reading your last post Jim, the thought of a transmission issue was the first thing that came to mind as well.

Peter

It could be possible that the fronts are spinning and she is not feeling anything, but I am not sure because she says it happens on dry streets as well, she would have to jump on it pretty hard to get them to spin on dry. I am thinking it is more likely the transmission. I will drive it this weekend and see if I can make it spin or the transmission slip. Does anyone know if there is any transmission issue with the 14 XLT FWD? it only have 40,000 on it.

It could be possible that the fronts are spinning and she is not feeling anything, but I am not sure because she says it happens on dry streets as well, she would have to jump on it pretty hard to get them to spin on dry. I am thinking it is more likely the transmission. I will drive it this weekend and see if I can make it spin or the transmission slip. Does anyone know if there is any transmission issue with the 14 XLT FWD? it only have 40,000 on it.
Which transmission? 6F35 or 6F50? Door jamb has a sticker with the code on it. What does it say under "TR"?

There are several threads on various transmission problems but they don't seem to be confined to just the 2014 XLT. The next time this happens, check the tachometer to see if it goes up in relation to the "slipping". Usually when a transmission slips and then engages, I would think you should feel a 'bump' or 'thud' that should be noticeable.
In any case, the transmission is covered under the 5 year. 60k mile Powertrain Warranty.

Peter

Transmission in mine will jolt hard at times, and clunk if you catch it off guard. It doesn't like to get blindsided by its driver. Done since I bought at 77k. I have 134k miles, its a hardy transmission.

There are several threads on various transmission problems but they don't seem to be confined to just the 2014 XLT. The next time this happens, check the tachometer to see if it goes up in relation to the "slipping". Usually when a transmission slips and then engages, I would think you should feel a 'bump' or 'thud' that should be noticeable.
In any case, the transmission is covered under the 5 year. 60k mile Powertrain Warranty.

Peter
Peter,
I will make sure my wife pays to the tachometer the next time this happens.
Thanks,
Jim

Rhino,
The tag shows a ( J ) under the TR
Thanks ,
Jim
6F50 transmission. Sturdy and dependable transmission that's been around in Fords for about 10 years now. The sensors on it will go before anything mechanical, most likely.

I think that is her subtle way of telling you time to get her an AWD! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm assuming the tires are good? What tires are on it?

I've run into a similar situation in my old KIA Optima, which was FWD. It would only happen coming out of my apartment complex, which was fairly steep downward, then a slight incline onto the road. Never did figure out the how or why, but I could feel and hear the the rear tires slip. It happened on dry pavement.

The only thing I could think of is that the rear tires were losing traction and slipping because the front was pulling hard and the tires were junk. I had front wheel spin often with those tires as well, but this was less spin, and more slip on the rear.

Back