1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

2014 vs. 2015 Ford Explorer

Discussion in '2018 - 2019 Ford Explorer Order Status Threads' started by ezridermn, May 5, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. ezridermn

ezridermn New Member

City, State:
    Forest Lake, MN
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2014 Explorer Sport
    I am in the market for a new Explorer Sport. I am trying to decide if I want to buy a 2014 or wait for the 2015's. One deciding factor will be how many changes there will be from the 2014 to the 2015 models.

I see a lot chatter on the web that suggests there are going to be some fairly significant cosmetic changes to the front and rear ends. However, there are other sites that say it is going to pretty much be the same vehicle in 2015 with just a few standard options added to the Sport model.

Does anyone know exactly what they are going to look like? Pretty much the same or tangibly different? If you do know I would appreciate it if you would share that information with me.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Coolwind

Coolwind New Member

City, State:
    Oregon
    2014 Ford Explorer Sport
  4. ltdjp

ltdjp Member

City, State:
    Springfield, PA
    '14 Explorer Sport
    Same looks as the 14, I believe you can get a heated steering wheel option and a third row delete option

5. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    VanBC/GoodyearAZ
    2017 Explorer SPORT
    Body changes are coming in 16MY not 15MY......15MY gets you more options on Sport see the previous thread with order guide.

Heated wheel
    2/3 row PowerFold seats
    Body colour door handles
    New colours

6. PlatinumSport14

PlatinumSport14 New Member

City, State:
    Cleveland
    2014 Ford Explorer Sport
    Yes as others have said the information is out there and supposedly people have placed orders for 2015s and at this point you cannot order a 2014.

Therefore you're stuck with whats on the lot or waiting apparently until July-August for 2015's to come in, ordered or otherwise.

You also get the tow package as standard on the Sport. Only thing that miffed me was the body colored door handles but most likely I'll do mine in gloss black for a nice contrast anyway.

Heated steering wheel and powerfold third row are nothing to cry home about IMO. I'd only really be bummed if they offered the HIDs that come on Limiteds in the Sport...

7. ltdjp

ltdjp Member

City, State:
    Springfield, PA
    '14 Explorer Sport
    So are Sport owners swapping HID's that come on Limiteds into Sports? I was unaware Limited came with HID's, my father has one.. it's quite optioned out.. but his headlights seem like theyre halogen also.

8. fordnewbie1980

fordnewbie1980 New Member

2011 Audi A4
    Price?

Any idea what these new "standard" options (Tow package and power fold seats) do to the MSRP of the Sport? I'm trying to decide to buy a '14 with the Tow Package or wait until the '15s.

Thanks!

9. Sgt1411

Sgt1411 Elite Explorer

City, State:
    VanBC/GoodyearAZ
    2017 Explorer SPORT
    In the USA HID's are an option on the Limited model

In Canada HID's are standard on the Limited model

No one knows why that feature is packaged that way.

As many have suggested it seems odd to not include HID's on the most expensive version of the Explorer, the Sport.

10. barney6

barney6 New Member

City, State:
    Utah
    2015 Explorer Sport
    Base price of a 2015 Explorer sport before any additions is 42,670.00. The base for 2014 is 41,675.00. So the price has gone up a little over $1000.00 for a newer model with heated steering wheel, power-fold 3rd row ( which you CAN NOT GET on the 2014), power-fold 2nd row if you get captains chairs and the tow package. Plus you can now get the explorer sport in magnetic metallic which is supposed to be a dark grey that is replacing the current sterling gray. ( FYI dealer invoice on the sport with no additions is 39,790.00)

11. barney6

barney6 New Member

City, State:
    Utah
    2015 Explorer Sport
    You could not get the explorer sport in dark grey in 2014. The only color options were red, white, black and silver. I specifically waited for the new color and with the hopes that they would make the 3rd row power on the sport because I was really frustrated that you could get the power 3rd row on the limited but not the sport, which cost more.

12. Mr. B

Mr. B New Member

City, State:
    Rockford, IL
    2015 Ford Explorer Sport
    Also, the price for the 401A equipment group is now $4280 compared to $4130.

I believe there are 5 colors available in 2015. They addeded Magnettic Metalic. I don't believe the are discontinuing Ingot Silver.