2015 Ford Explorer Sport

WinterRaven

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello Members,

I'm new to the forum. I own a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport. I have owned it for a few months now and to date, my Explorer Sport has performed absolutely great. We are very happy with this sport trim model. Its not the first Explorer I have owned, so I am familiar with the newer Explorer model. I recently reached my first 5K miles. I am a road warrior and do enjoy frequent road trips. I also enjoy photography. This vehicle has proven versatile and makes driving fun, comfortable and convenient. This is also my commuter with a combined freeway and city daily usage. I have had the opportunity to read my owners manual and have enjoyed getting to know all there is about the Explorer Sport through articles and youtube videos such as the fast car lane channel. There's something special about this vehicle that even when I see another Ford Explorer while driving, I get all excited and feel as if driving an Explorer, I am part of a special community. An Explorer community. This is why I decided to join this Forum. I like to read about others Explorer experiences and learn from others too. I love to research and since I am in an engineering industry, when it comes to engines and mechanics, I am very fund of learning more about it. For me my Explorer is my baby and do plan on holding onto it for at least 5 years. Personally I prefer the 2015 exterior than what I have seen with the upcoming 2016 front and rear style. The 2016 Ford Explorer looks a bit more conservative and though it has an even more closer resemblance to the Land Rover, it doesn't make me wish I've waited for the 2016. I am happy with the 2015 and should you consider the 2015, you will surely love it. What I didn't like is the so called Explorer's Panoramic Sunroof. I did not go for that option and find the current Jeep Grand Cherokee's Panoramic Sun Roof much better as it does not have that roof pillar in the way as in the Ford Explorer. The Jeep Grand Cherokee has a perfect panoramic sky view. What I do love on the Ford are the comfortable seats which are plush compared to the Jeep Grand Cherokee. With the J.G.C, the seats are stiff, although Napa Perforated leather, after a while driving in the current Jeep Grand Cherokee, your bottom will hurt, like sitting on a bench seat, horrible for long road trips. You'll find yourself anxious to get out. And of course, the cargo and seating area are much better inside the Ford Explorer and the 3.5 Ecoboost engine is meant to be in the Explorer, aside from the F150. : )

As a little back ground, I recently had Chrysler repurchase my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4 and with the EcoDiesel. It had the panoramic sunroof, the leather seats, uconnect, HID lights, basically fully loaded. It looked pretty cool. However, the main problem which resulted in a repurchase was the DEF Diesel Exhaust Fluid system. The DEF Injector Crystallized causing the check engine to trigger. This started right after its first DEF Fluid fill up at the dealer. Once the Check Engine light triggers due to this DEF problem, you will no longer be able to turn on your Jeep after approx 200 miles of driving, forcing you to seek your service department quickly, not a nice thing to happen in a road trip or in general. For me, from the six months of ownership, I can count the few weeks I had the opportunity to drive my Grand Cherokee, it sure loved going back to the service department. I ended up driving practically every Chrysler rental in the fleet weeks at at time. The last time in their shop for the DEF problem, the Jeep stayed in the service department for practically a month due to the DEF injector being in a nationwide back order. So in the end, based on the DEF injector nation wide back order, meaning I was not the only one having this problem, this helped me to decided on my next purchase decision and went back with Ford. What I can say is that I am impressed with the level of customer service I received by Chrysler Fiat Jeep for taking responsibility about their problematic Jeep Grand Cherokee which my service adviser called a bad apple. Perhaps in the future I will consider a Jeep Grand Cherokee again. The Jeep's Diesel engine itself was amazing. It felt and sounded nice. I learned to drive in a 1985 Ford F250 Diesel XLT so it brought me memories too. The Jeep's Diesel fuel economy was fantastic, the torque was very fun. The $300.00 oil change service however, which includes the oil change, tire rotation and DEF fluid fill up was the shocking part. The small piece of information the sales man will fail to share when your shopping. This makes the savings of the fuel economy not worth it, including the added cost of the Eco Diesel at a whopping $4,500 engine cost adder. For all you whom are considering Chrysler's (Fiat's) Italian Eco Diesel. Hope this helps with your decision.

I have come across an Ecoboost direct injection concern about carbon build up issues arising from Ecoboost engines that are now up in miles. In particular from a youtube blogger by name FordTechMakuloco. In order to do my part to help keep carbon build up as clean as possible. I am running Shell premium 91 octane V-Power fuel. Shell's marketed V-Power is premium. It contains a significant higher detergent level compared to Shells 87 and 89 octane grades. Running the V-Power Premium, I have consistently felt my Ecoboost engine run smooth and perform by quick throttle response. The owners manual does state it will run with 87 octane, but will provide improved performance with premium. So using premium not just for improved performance, but using V-Power for the higher amount of cleaning detergent is very helpful. I find it being an excellent Top Tier Fuel. Running premium will only be just a few dollars more at fill up, but the overall savings of keeping your engine clean is worth the extra cost. Plus you will enjoy the improved performance. The EcoBoost is proving to work great with the fuel. In regards to Oil, I have switch at my first 5K interval to Full Synthetic. Based on my research, I have decided to use and stick with Pennzoil 5W30 Ultra Platinum with Pure Plus Technology, using the Motorcraft Oil Filter. This oil uses Natural Gas as its base oil and is cleaner. Its marketed as keeping your engine 25% cleaner than Mobile 1. So basically all I do is purchase a 5 jug and 1 qt of Pennzoil and take it to my Ford service dealer for The Works service using my purchased oil. I have felt the engine run smoothly and quietly. I do plan on pouring a bottle of Chevron's Techron Fuel System Cleaner before my scheduled oil changes using the Fuel Funnel you can find next to the spare tire. I just purchased one from the Ford Parts Department to use strictly for pouring the Techron to avoid messing with the cap less fuel system. Based on my owners manual, I am going to follow the Severe Scheduled Maintenance and will be doing my oil change / tire rotation, "The Works" as Ford Dealerships in my area are calling it, every 5K miles. By doing this, I hope to do my part to help my ecoboost stay as clean as possible.

As far as HID lights. For any of you whom are interested in having HID light installed onto your 2013-2015 Explorer Sports, I recommend Philips Xenon 4300K HID Kit. I had mine installed by GAS Galpin Auto Sports and am very satisfied with the results. I personally found the stock halogen lights too weak and easily swallowed up by the night, so to say, during mountain driving, rainy nights etc.

I grew up in a family loyal to Ford and have family members whom still own and drive their 1995 Ford Explorer and 2003 Ford Explorer. Looking forward to my Sport for several years and being part of a Ford Explorer community.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I moved your thread to our Stock 2011 - 2016 subforum where the right people should see it.

Welcome to the forum:chug:

Welcome and nice write up

Welcome to the Forum WinterRaven.:wavey:
I guess the moonroof is one of those options you either like or dislike. I have had them in my last 5 vehicles and wouldn't get one without the moonroof. They have all work flawlessly and they really open up the interior. Happy motoring.

Peter

Rather than dump a bottle of Techron from Chevron why not just run their Premium gas with it in every fill up?

I run Chevron w/Techron 94 octane with no ethanol and its fine.

Looks like they have the same issue we have here in AZ. The premium fuel is only 91 octane :(

I've always used Shell gas here in NJ. Aside from their advertized detergent levels, I never had a problem running it in my previous Camaro and now the Explorer.

I'm running 93. Should I switch to 91?? I mean is it the much of a difference?

I've been running 91 all Winter but am going back to 87 which I used before because I haven't noticed any difference except in cost.;)

Peter

I've been running 91 all Winter but am going back to 87 which I used before because I haven't noticed any difference except in cost.;)

Peter

yup.. i went back to 87 as well..noticed 0 difference

I was wondering if anyone has seen their engine light come on while going down the road? I was heading back from Florida today and that happened to me. I got into it pretty good to get some speed up off the ramp onto the interstate and the light came on and it acted like it didn't want to go any faster. I got to 55mph when that happened and struggled to hit 65, so I let out of it and it finally cleared up and was fine the rest of the way. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have a 2016 Sport and have the same feeling about it. I never had a stock SUV that constantly turns heads like this vehicle does. What other vehicle out there can you get the ride, refinement, decent mileage and 365hp for under 50k? For that reason alone, I feel like i got a great deal.

I did not get my extended warranty from the dealer - they mark those up too much ($4500 for 6yr 75k bumper to bumper). Instead, I went with Lombard Ford and got the Premium Care, which is basically bumper to bumper for 8 yr 125k miles for half the price (they also offer 0% 12 month payments).

In regards to fuel, I am still playing around with it. I have definitely been only running Top Tier, but I have not decided on 87 or 93 yet. This last tank of 87, I definitely notice the mileage has been down. In this case, I may just stick with Shell or BP 93, exp since gas prices are down. Don't forget to "get on it" once in awhile, as this is what the motor was designed for.

For oil, I use the same. Full Synthetic Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I changed it at 2000 miles and will probably change it again at 7000 in advance of performing the regular changes.

I came from a Durango and could not be happier. That thing was like a boat anchor compared to this. And with the problems / lawsuits Chrysler has on their hands, I doubt I will ever buy from them again. A shame about your Jeep - they were really a great company before they came into full government of Chrysler.

Good travels on your Ex. I took a trip down to Alabama through Nashville when I first bought it and cannot wait to make that same trip again to music city next month. Driving is now half the fun of the trip!

I have a 2016 Sport and have the same feeling about it. I never had a stock SUV that constantly turns heads like this vehicle does. What other vehicle out there can you get the ride, refinement, decent mileage and 365hp for under 50k? For that reason alone, I feel like i got a great deal.

I did not get my extended warranty from the dealer - they mark those up too much ($4500 for 6yr 75k bumper to bumper). Instead, I went with Lombard Ford and got the Premium Care, which is basically bumper to bumper for 8 yr 125k miles for half the price (they also offer 0% 12 month payments).

In regards to fuel, I am still playing around with it. I have definitely been only running Top Tier, but I have not decided on 87 or 93 yet. This last tank of 87, I definitely notice the mileage has been down. In this case, I may just stick with Shell or BP 93, exp since gas prices are down. Don't forget to "get on it" once in awhile, as this is what the motor was designed for.

For oil, I use the same. Full Synthetic Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I changed it at 2000 miles and will probably change it again at 7000 in advance of performing the regular changes.

I came from a Durango and could not be happier. That thing was like a boat anchor compared to this. And with the problems / lawsuits Chrysler has on their hands, I doubt I will ever buy from them again. A shame about your Jeep - they were really a great company before they came into full government of Chrysler.

Good travels on your Ex. I took a trip down to Alabama through Nashville when I first bought it and cannot wait to make that same trip again to music city next month. Driving is now half the fun of the trip!

Sounds good. I am glad I bought the Sport. Another few weeks and she should be here.:)

Only one problem with the fuel additives and carbon build up. The main issue with direct injection motors is build up on the back side of the valves which the fuel never gets too since its direct injected. Fuel or additives will help with piston build up but not valves build up. The oil vapors from the motor get sucked into the intake and coat the valves over time. The fuel never has a chance to clean them since its being injected into the cylinder.

Back