• Register Today It's free!

2015 limited new key fob

Silverfox302

Reaction score
City, State
Naugatuck, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
When i purchased our 2015 limited, it only came with 1 fob, and would now like to get a 2nd. The vehicle has remote start, push to start, but no power lift gate. I have found the fobs far cheaper online than at the dealer. My question is, for some reason the fobs which have the hatch pop button seem to be significantly cheaper. Can I purchase one, have ford program it and everything will work properly (the hatch button will be useless obviously). Or do I have to purchase the specific four button fob without hatch button?

I would call around and check with some local locksmith's. I got my spare from a mobile locksmith for $100 and it's an OEM key fob that he cut and programmed. I would only buy from eBay if I could program it myself. You might not be saving money if the dealer has to program it for you.

I'm not sure about the 4 and 5 button question. I have the 4 button, so I stuck to that style key fob.

When i purchased our 2015 limited, it only came with 1 fob, and would now like to get a 2nd. The vehicle has remote start, push to start, but no power lift gate. I have found the fobs far cheaper online than at the dealer. My question is, for some reason the fobs which have the hatch pop button seem to be significantly cheaper. Can I purchase one, have ford program it and everything will work properly (the hatch button will be useless obviously). Or do I have to purchase the specific four button fob without hatch button?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't know why so many previously owned vehicles are turned in with only 1 fob. Knowing that they originally came with 2 I would insist that a 2nd fob be supplied by the dealer. If you don't have 2 fobs then the Manual says you have to have the dealer program the 2nd fob. While quite a few here have purchased a spare or 2nd fob from online sources, not all have had positive experiences. Have you read the existing threads/posts on the issue?
Extra / Spare Explorer Key
Extra / Spare Explorer Key and subsequent post
Personally, if I had to get an extra key, I'd get it from the dealer and have them program it if a 2nd key wasn't available. Can't really comment on the 4 or 5 button question.

Peter

Back