2015 Sport didn't make it off the dealer's lot without issue - do I have a lemon? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Sport didn't make it off the dealer's lot without issue - do I have a lemon?

29 miles is not new, that's a DEMO.

Why so many miles?

29 miles is not a DEMO. My 2015 F350 had 28 miles on it and it was because it was driven from factory to parking lot off site.. from parking lot off site to shipping yard. From shipping yard to truck...

It is very common for vehicles to have 20-30 miles on them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@ OP - Before you continue to overreact, why don't you find out exactly what was wrong first. As I stated.. could either be a loose connection or a bad motor. Either way, such a simple fix and not a big deal. It's not like your motor blew.. it is a simple door lock.

If your wife is going to blow something like this way out of proportion and exaggerate saying you can't trust Ford lol.. it may be best that you buy something else then.

I had a 1995 Explorer that blew a transmission in less than 12k miles. It was replaced under warrenty and I eventually put 160k on the car without another problem.

Its replacement, a 2003 Explorer, blew its rear differential with 4k miles. They fixed it a couple of time then finally had to replace it with a new one under warrenty. I put 248k miles on that car, without any major problems. The guy that bought it took it to a Ford Service dept who told him there's no reason to to be able to get 350k or more from the car.

Yea, it's a door lock.

Firefrog,

I wish I could go back in time and buy something else. Our Explorer was long on promise and short on reliability. It could have been such an awesome car, but the endless reliability problems have tarnished our ownership experience completely. I wish we could say that the dealer and corporate customer service we have received made up for the vehicle short comings, but they haven't. Check out our thread about our vehicle and watch over time our love for the vehicle become disdain.

Honestly, if you are this irritated by this problem, you will be driven nuts by all the others to follow. It all comes down to managing expectations. If you are used to niggling problems with your vehicles and writing them off as "all cars have these kinds of problems", then go for it - as you are already mentally prepared to deal with ownership of a Ford product. If it bugs the crap out of you to visit the dealer beyond normal routing maintenance for little stuff that goes wrong, you might want to reconsider.

These words brought to you by an owner of a 2013 Limited with 52,000 miles on it. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions, I'll be more than happy to answer to the best of my ability :)

LMAO.. you are ridiculous. Why should someone get a $1,500-$2,000 extended warranty just because a door does not lock. It's either electrical or the motor itself. Either way, simple fix.

Granted this is something the dealer should have seen during their inspection prior to the customer coming for delivery.

Sheesh.. people feel so entitled to free stuff over such minor issues.

Hahahah yeah I'm ridiculous. How much did you get off MSRP? Yeah thats what I thought. What's another 2 grand considering the OP had to leave his brand new car at the dealership before even leaving the lot. Simple fix or not is the besides the point.

If it had happened later on then so be it. Let Ford fix it and go on with life. One of the hatch struts has gone out on my Chevy. I'm not going to ask them to give me anything. The car has almost 3,000 miles on it. I just expect them to replace it. However everything worked when I bought the car...

"How much did you get off MSRP? Yeah thats what I thought."
What's this got to do with anything? :dunno: I think perhaps a free oil change or two for the inconvenience might be offered but not an ESP.

Peter

"How much did you get off MSRP? Yeah thats what I thought."
What's this got to do with anything? :dunno: I think perhaps a free oil change or two for the inconvenience might be offered but not an ESP.

Peter

My point was that he's acting like $2,000 is ridiculous but on a $50,000 car I don't think so.
Nobody pays MSRP so what's the difference for asking for an extended warranty? I got $500 off my 12,000 car because I didn't like the color and they wanted to sell a car.... $500 because I complained about the color and they offered it up. :eek: If the power lock didn't work I wouldn't have bought the car. Personally I wouldn't have bought from that dealership. There's tons of Ford dealers around here

Obviously Mr. Firefrog is much younger than I, and does not remember back to the 70's when things going bad were the norm with new cars. You bought your car, drove off the lot, and started making a list of all things that needed "adjusted" or "fixed. And you did this religiously because you only had a 12,000 mile warranty.

So I would not think a thing about your car, except getting the to fix it and possibly giving you some free service coupons. If that doesn't work for you, then go buy a jeep!

blwnsmoke is absolutely correct, these minor issues happen all the time, even at the factory, all they do is replace or fix them there aswell.

As was just said you should be more upset at your salesman for not ensuring the dealer did the FULL Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI) They have checklist and have to go through all functions on the vehicle before allowing it to be delivered. You paid PDI & Freight charges ON TOP of your purchase price.

That's where they should have found the issue and had it repaired before you ever saw it.

Also keep in mind Ford doesn't build all those parts, especially electrical modules. So Ford is trusting the suppliers to provide a fully functioning product.

Case in point the 2013 Fuel Delivery Module Recall, the company that builds this module had some worker mix the wrong batch of plastic before the modules were made. Ford took a major hit over this when they weren't even involved in the process. Sure they pull random samples of supplier parts for inspection but some get by.

Ask your salesman to see the PDI Inspection sheet they have to do and see who signed off that your SPORT was good to go.

That's the bigger issue.

To decide to purchase or not, check your state laws and dealer paperwork, many things can happen if its still on the lot, Including not purchasing. even if you signed and paid a deposit.
(I think I had 36 hrs and if prior to "taking delivery" and or leaving the lot.
They dont take that long at all so its pretty much ooops you took it off the lot sorry bu byee)

A lemon is defined by your state laws, many here have multiple issues but cant qualify their cars as lemons according to the rules.

If you decide to keep the car, before leaving the lot and before taking delivery - demand as much as you can get extra and confirm newest versions of items:

If you have Nav ;
-A5 map disk in MFT
-MFT Version is 3.6.2
(these should be the latest versions but im just saying, at least look at the map disk. If A4 - demand A5, (nicely)
thats a $100 value...not eBay but OEM retail pricing)

try to get something like:

-Molded mudflaps installed
-paint protection installed on bottom door edges and elsewhere
-free Ford extended warranty
-free wheel warranty-$approx 600-700 value -worth having if you can get it.

oh & g'luck

Hahahah yeah I'm ridiculous. How much did you get off MSRP? Yeah thats what I thought. What's another 2 grand considering the OP had to leave his brand new car at the dealership before even leaving the lot. Simple fix or not is the besides the point.

If it had happened later on then so be it. Let Ford fix it and go on with life. One of the hatch struts has gone out on my Chevy. I'm not going to ask them to give me anything. The car has almost 3,000 miles on it. I just expect them to replace it. However everything worked when I bought the car...

I got mine at invoice out the door. To ask for a free warranty on a door lock issue is again, ridiculous. If I was the dealer, Id tell you to go pound sand. Ill repair the lock and sell it to someone else at invoice.

A free oil change and a car detail at the same time would be a nice gesture but come on. Come back down to Earth!!

[MENTION=210187]luker[/MENTION] - Demand?? Lol, Id tell you to pound sand to if you started demanding. Sheesh, what is wrong with people these days.

"A free oil change and a car detail at the same time would be a nice gesture but come on. Come back down to Earth!!" blwnsmoke,I tend to agree with your take on this issue. :thumbsup: Also, the dealer said that they didn't have to take the vehicle. Something I'm sure not all dealerships would state.

Peter

Door not locking issue

I took delivery of my 2014 Explorer Limited in March of this year. Within the first 300 miles the power to the drivers seat, outside mirrors & retractable steering wheel stopped working, memory features stopped working. The dealers diagnosed the problem as a bad door module and replaced it within 3 days, (had to order the part). Guys, that's why you have a warranty! Most likely the door module was not a component Ford manufactured, even quality control checks on outside suppliers components can not always catch these defective components. Anything made by man can fail!
I was in the machinery business for 30 years, we faced warranty issues all the time. It's not that the problem showed up but how it got resolved.
A reasonable offer to provide a loaner or a free oil change is in order here, not a ESP costing thousands of $, let's be reasonable.
T Bill

While that may seem higher than the average, it isn't unreasonable. In the thread 'Mileage on Delivery' most of the 'ordered' Explorers seemed to have totals in the 5+ mile range. This one was bought off the lot and it could have been test driven by another person or brought in from another dealer.

Peter

Might not be unreasonable to you...

[MENTION=210187]luker[/MENTION] - Demand?? Lol, Id tell you to pound sand to if you started demanding. Sheesh, what is wrong with people these days.

It's all about them, and they are nuts, that's what! I guarantee you, your dealer doesn't need your sale. He'll sell it to someone else.

If I am the dealer and happen to read this thread I give you your money back, you sound unreasonable. As far as miles dealers often trade vehicles. My dealer found the exact one I wanted 100 miles away. They take one of theirs and trade it for the one I wanted, happened the last three times I have purchased a new vehicle. What ever the mileage is they add that to the warranty so you get the full mileage and length.

@ OP - Before you continue to overreact, why don't you find out exactly what was wrong first. As I stated.. could either be a loose connection or a bad motor. Either way, such a simple fix and not a big deal. It's not like your motor blew.. it is a simple door lock.

If your wife is going to blow something like this way out of proportion and exaggerate saying you can't trust Ford lol.. it may be best that you buy something else then.

Wow, it sounds like OP got a seriously defective model. I suggest he take her in and see if its possible to get that "overly dramatic" problem taken care of... on the wife. Seriously though, if your powertrain is working you can't say you have (or don't have) a lemon just because you have one minor issue with a door lock. This is why you do a walk-around before accepting delivery of a vehicle. Put it in the paperwork that this issue will be fixed, and if the dealer doesn't fix it in a timely manner under warranty, contact Crystal (@FordService). Take a chill pill, and relax.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Michael, this thread seems to be getting slightly adversarial. You bought a new vehicle that had a defect that should have been detected in the pre delivery inspection but for whatever reason, was not. The dealer is fixing it for you and even offered to let you out of the deal. I realize it is a bit of an inconvenience and disappointment for you to not be able to take it home right away but these things happen at times. The mileage shouldn't be a big concern since at this point we don't know how it was attained. Vehicles are sometimes transferred between dealers or it could have had higher than normal miles on it from the factory. In any case, as bigdude2468 mentioned, your warranty begins when you actually take ownership of the Explorer so given the current state, the warranty should be good for 36,029 miles. If you are really concerned about the long tern viability of this vehicle you can take the dealers offer to back out or purchase an extended warranty. Don't let one minor issue get blown out of proportion. I'm sure that you will enjoy the vehicle and be very happy with it or another one. :):thumbsup:

Peter

Back