Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2015 Sport suddenly loud upon acceleration....like I got new exhaust, but I didn't

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by barney6, January 11, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. barney6

barney6 New Member

City, State:
    Utah
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2015 Explorer Sport
    This evening I was accelerating to enter on the freeway and my car was really loud! Like I put on new aggressive pipes or something. I did put on new Michelin Tires this morning, but my car didn't make this sound when I drove it this afternoon. Plus I can't imagine new tires would make the car make this sound like this it does not sound like it is road noise. Could one of my turbo's be going out or could they have knocked my exhaust out of place when they did the tires?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. rmcalis

rmcalis Active Member

City, State:
    Collinsville, OK
    2016 Platinum; 2010 STA
    Too much of a coincidence, I'd take it back to the tire shop and take a look at the exhaust with them.

4. Odrapnew

Odrapnew Active Member

City, State:
    MN
    2014 Explorer Sport
    Does it sound like exhaust or intake noise?
    Did they tell you your air filter needs to be changed?
    Check you air filter cover to make sure it’s latched.

My wife had her car in for some warranty work and they said she needed a new air filter. She declined, but they must have been already in the process of replacing it and they never latched the intake back down. The first time I rode in it a couple days later, I noticed it had noticeably more intake “drone”. I looked around the engine but didn’t see anything obvious. It wasn’t until a week later when I was changing the spark plugs that I noticed the cover was not latched. Oh, and the filter did not need to be changed.

5. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    If it is exhaust related I would think that you would be able to reproduce the sound while parked.

6. barney6

barney6 New Member

City, State:
    Utah
    2015 Explorer Sport
    I took it into ford to see if there was anything obvious they could see. Since dealership is way closer then where I got my tires. A tech and I took it on a test drive but it was not getting loud like it did a few minutes before on the way there. I realized it only makes the noise when I am gunning it. We couldn't really test it accurate cause it was snowing heavy and lots of traffic. I thought it was an exhaust sound but now I am thinking it is coming from under the hood. I also have poor power. Like the turbo never kicks in. I was not able to leave it with the dealership because I had a plane to catch but I am going to drop it off next week and I will update.

7. Brad C

Brad C Active Member

City, State:
    Central Ohio
    2019 Explorer Sport
    Callsign:
    KG8S
    Check the hoses on the intercooler/turbo. I'm guessing you blew off an intercooler hose.

8. Lexingtonian

Lexingtonian Active Member

City, State:
    Lexington, KY
    2016 Exp Sport w/401a
    Did the 2015 have the fake engine nose enhancement fed through the speakers? I disabled it in my 16 and prefer it that way. Sounds to me like, given the short description that your engine enhancement is now somehow working.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...deal-why-your-cars-engine-noise-might-be-fake

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...d-f-150-pumps-v8-engine-noise-into-v6-trucks/

1. Active Noise Canceling Disable (Fake Engine Noise Disable - this method is the hard way, I used Forscan and Disabled it . See the Forscan Spreadsheet Below, ACM727-01-01)
    2. Forscan Software Guide
    3. 2015-2016 Ford F150 Forscan Spreadsheet (this thing is freaking legendary...) (Fake Engine Noise Disable on ACM Tab Line 107)

9. Machine090767

Machine090767 Active Member

City, State:
    Minnesota
    2014 Explorer XLT
    It's been a month. Where's the "Update"?

10. 613GT500

613GT500 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Ontario, Canada
    2016 XC90 T8 R-Design
    Did you go WOT, as that will surely increase engine and exhaust sounds.