Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2015 TPMS fault help needed

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by onestout, January 7, 2019.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. onestout

onestout New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2015, Explorer XLT 3.5
      I bought a used set of EX wheels (OEM) and mounted a set of winter tires on it. Prior to mounting the tires I checked the sensors and all the batteries were good and are the same frequency as the ones it had from the factory. I put the winter tires on and I can't get the sensors to work with the EX. I have done the "brake/on/off" sequence until the horn sounded but that is far as it makes it. I can't for the life of me get these sensors to take to the EX. What is my next step? I really don't want to peel the tires back off:(

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      On which year Explorer were the wheels originally mounted? If it was a 2016+ model then you have the wrong sensors.

Peter

4. onestout

onestout New Member

2015, Explorer XLT 3.5
      pre 15, they are the exact same wheels as my 15 has which I think is the last year.

5. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      There are a few members who said that the sensors will program to the vehicle simply by driving it. It may take some time but they did match to the vehicle. I know when I had the wrong sensors in the wheels I put on my 2017, it took until the next day for the TPMS warning to come on and that was after driving about 25 miles.

Peter

6. onestout

onestout New Member

2015, Explorer XLT 3.5
      It's been about 1k miles, they are not learning. I take the scan tool to each sensor and they are all working and reading the correct pressure, the EX just can't learn them.

7. KayGee

KayGee Active Member

City, State:
      Farmington, MI
      '16 & '17 PIU
      Just to clarify, you are putting the vehicle in tpms relearn mode manually and then using a scan tool to train the sensors, but the vehicle isn't acknowledging any of the sensors?

What scan tool are you using for the sensors? Are they OE or AM sensors? How did you confirm the sensors were good and battery status was good?

I've had a few ford vehicles that could be put into tpms relearn manually, and would then accept 1-3 sensors, but would not complete the tpms relearn procedure. For some reason, when I put the vehicle in tpms relearn with forscan or a scan tool, the tpms relearn procedure would complete without issue.

8. CommandPresence

CommandPresence Active Member

City, State:
      Massachusetts
      2018 Explorer XLT 3.5L NA
      I cant remember what years that you do it with, but isn't there also a procedure of letting air out/horn beeps as well? Jogging my memory here...

9. CommandPresence

City, State:
      Massachusetts
      rogramming

NOTE: Enter Training Mode Without Scan Tool

1. NOTE: The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN Left Front (LF) TIRE.

With the ignition OFF, press and release the brake pedal.
      1. Using the start/stop switch, position the ignition from OFF to RUN 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
      1. Press and release the brake pedal.
      1. Position the ignition to OFF position.
      1. Using the start/stop switch, position the ignition from OFF to RUN 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
      Programming

NOTE: TPMS Sensor Training Procedure

1. NOTE: It may take up to 6 seconds to activate a tire pressure sensor. During this time, the special tool must remain in place at the valve stem.

Place the special tool on the Left Front (LF) tire sidewall at the valve stem. Press and release the test button on the special tool. The horn will sound briefly to indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the BCM.
        Use Special Service Tool: 204-D081 TPM Activation Tool.
      1. Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding, place the special tool on the Right Front (RF) tire sidewall at the valve stem and press and release the test button to train the Right Front (RF) tire pressure sensor.
      1. Repeat Step 1 for the Right Rear (RR) and Left Rear (LR) tires. The procedure is completed after the last tire has been trained. When the training procedure is complete, the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE. For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be verified by positioning the ignition to OFF without the horn sounding. If the horn sounds twice when the ignition is positioned to OFF, the training procedure was not successful.
      1. Using the scan tool, locate the updated TPMS sensor identifiers trained to the BCM and document them on the applicable warranty claim.
      1. This step is required to clear DTC B1182:55, cause the BCM to exit the manufacturing mode and to make sure there are no other concerns with a newly programmed BCM.
      1. If the sensors are being trained due to the installation of a new BCM, clear any DTC and carry out the BCM On-Demand Self Test.

10. CommandPresence

City, State:
      Massachusetts
    11. onestout

onestout New Member

2015, Explorer XLT 3.5
      Snap-on scan tool, followed the procedure, horn beeps to start but none of the sensors take.

12. onestout

onestout New Member

2015, Explorer XLT 3.5
      I tried the letting the air out, didn't work, I think that is for 2014 and older. I tried the ford activation tool and snap-ons tpms tool, still nothing seems to be working. The only other thing I can think of is to replace them, not sure why these sensors won't take to my EX.

13. onestout

onestout New Member

2015, Explorer XLT 3.5
      Let's look at this another way, can anyone confirm which TPMS sensor I should have in a 2015? Is it the TPMS12 or TPMS35? I am finding conflicting information.

14. peterk9

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
    15. onestout

onestout New Member

2015, Explorer XLT 3.5
      That's what I am thinking....which means I need to peel my tires off to replace them:(