2016 2.3L ecoboost with ZF35 troubles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 2.3L ecoboost with ZF35 troubles

all1knew

Reaction score
City, State
Kenosha, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited
Hello all,

My first post here. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE shout out an idea or two if you can think of anything to help me.

unless I give my transmission 10 minutes to warm up, it won't shift correctly and puts itself in limp-mode (3rd gear and my check manual light comes on the dash)

Originally, I checked on youtube and saw bad coils may be an issue (I bought the truck used with 60k on the odometer) so I swapped them out. No changes.

Had a pressurized flush done as I thought maybe it was a torque converter issue (when going from Park to Reverse gear it shifts hard when it's cold as well) but after the flush and new fluid I noticed no changes.

My brother is a mechanic and suggested it might be something to do with the trans. cooler (which MIGHT only kick on after a certain temperature or something like that which is why I need to let the trans heat up a little?)

any ideas at all? After a ten minute warmup the thing drives flawlessly and shifts smooth. The only other thing I can think of which may give a hint would be that rarely (though has happened) if I'm going 80 on the highway and need to pass somebody quickly the trans won't always respond (almost like it's confused which gear to go into)

Anyways thanks in advance and sorry if the post was long-winded but I have a real issue here. Of course the dealership says to replace the entire trans and wants thousands to do so but the thing drives fine once warmed up so it can't be that the trans is just junk entirely, can it?

William Kramer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum.
The transmission ID is a 6F35 which was manufactured by ZF for Ford and GM. Are you able to retrieve any codes? If you are report back what you find and give us a starting point.
Brad

well I had the codes cleared when I had the flush done and as far as I know they were. My brother lives a few hours away and has a scanner but I could in theory just go to an Autozone locally and have them pull recent codes? Sorry if I sound like an idiot.

William Kramer

Code readers are hit and miss with transmission codes. Generic codes are a very poor way to diagnose a transmission issue. Needs someplace that has OEM or software that is comparable.

any ideas at all without having the codes on what could be causing this? Like I said, cold the trans basically refuses to work but if you let the truck sit in park for 10 minutes and let it warm up the shifts are smooth as silk.

William Kramer

Sounds almost like a solenoid in the valve body? Gets hung up when cold but frees up when warm. I'm not sure if the valve body is replaceable separately. Might be worth going to a good independent mechanic and get a second opinion. Also, have you done a google search?

There are many other factors that relate to transmission issues that also need to be looked at. Engine input and ABS play a big part in shift strategies. Your wallet will will be heavier if you don’t take the shotgun approach to parts replacement. Get it diagnosed
Brad

well I took it to the dealer to get it diagnosed and they basically said they didn't know and wanted to replace the entire trans. That seems silly considering I drove the truck there. Should I just take it to a trans specific shop?

William Kramer

Seems like after covid, your experience is common anywhere you go.

well I took it to the dealer to get it diagnosed and they basically said they didn't know and wanted to replace the entire trans. That seems silly considering I drove the truck there. Should I just take it to a trans specific shop?

William Kramer
some places have too much work and rhen end up not wanting to diagnose so better to throw a whole new unit in. find a reputable trans shop locally, maybe talk to some of the speed guys in your area, usually those ones have a good rep and tend to be more likely to give you good service. every shop seems to be in over their head with work recently

Back