Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2016 Ex Sport Sync 2 (MFT) audio overhaul

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods' started by tjor, January 15, 2020 at 8:41 PM.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. tjor

tjor New Member

City, State:
    dallas
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport
    Hi guys,

I have read thru all the posts here for about 2 weeks and am compiling my list and order of audio upgrades. Below is my goal and thought process. I ill stop at the point I am happy with the over all sound (knowing me will be the end of this list).

I please need some knowledge and opinions on some key components to retain factory quality of life features.

End Goal:

• Retain ALL Sync 2 (MFT features, SW controls, etc with exception of XM or Factory Nav.) while adding outstanding sound.

Speakers:
    • Morel Tempo Ultra 602 [Installed. HUGE upgrade, small loss of bass]
    • Pioneer 8" DVC 2ohm sub (or Kicker DVC 1ohm) [Order canceled until I get feedback this is worth the money spent, VS going straight to dual 10's in some sort of creative box that fits behind 2nd row seats while 3 row folded.]
    • Sound deadening [Installed, makes a noticeable difference].
    • Front center speaker [suggestions of 3.5" vs 5.25"?]

Amps:
    • PN4.520D [powering front components]
    • PN1.1000D [powering added subs]
    Signal interface:
    • Cadence DSP4.8 [fed by PAC APHFD01 harness post amplifier]

• I really appreciate the input!

Edited to clarify goals and updates

Last edited: January 20, 2020 at 9:50 PM
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
    Good luck with your project.

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  4. DMG632

DMG632 Active Member

City, State:
    Seattle, WA
    2016 Explorer Sport
    • Like Like x 1
  5. tjor

tjor New Member

City, State:
    dallas
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport
    DMG,

Thank you I have read over your thread several times! Great info! Do you have any anomaly such as noise, turn on off pop etc?(edit: rereading you comment that you don't have any noise)

I'm torn between going with the PX6 head unit as it would be a complete solution to several wants the MFT is lacking, I am just hesitant as to how good the sound quality will be or one of those 2 solutions you listed. the PAC seems to have some mixed reviews about noise it it.

Last edited: January 16, 2020 at 11:31 AM
  6. DMG632

DMG632 Active Member

City, State:
    Seattle, WA
    2016 Explorer Sport
    I have no "noise" or "pops" in my system! A lot of the times floor noise or pops can be traced back to the install (grounding issues or cable runs) or not properly adjust the amp gain (to high).

We installed the pack unit in a Explorer with MFT and it had no noise or pops

I have no experience with those replacement head-units made over seas. I have read some reviews on them (some good some very bad) but support is always lacking after the sale. I think someone on this board tried one and ended up returning it after several problems with it, with no resolve. Sure the MFT has some weak points, but I chose to focus on the sound quality on my system and overlook the weak points.

• Like Like x 1