2016 Explore Limited mirrors issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explore Limited mirrors issue

bskellie

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 explorer limited
Hello, so almost every day when I either unlock the doors with the key for our just grab the door handle the doors unlock I get in and my seat moves to my memory position and either the driver side mirror glass try’s to go to position but starts trying to go all the way up or all the way down then it just starts clicking until I physically move the glass or hit the mirror button. The weird thing is also sometimes the passenger mirror does the same thing, but never both at a time. Anyone else have this issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't recall anyone else posting this issue. Since I'm the only driver I don't use the memory function. The first thing I do is disable the easy entry/exist in my vehicles so nothing changes. Have you tried reprogramming?

Peter

I don't recall anyone else posting this issue. Since I'm the only driver I don't use the memory function. The first thing I do is disable the easy entry/exist in my vehicles so nothing changes. Have you tried reprogramming

I have tried reprogramming the memory position . But it still does it. And the dealer of course can’t duplicate the problem even know we showed them multiple videos of it happening .

New to posting to forum but i am having issue with automated power mirror on passenger side. Mirror is folded when parked, when get in to start the truck, the mirror opens and then attempts to adjust to the preset memory. Of course it sounds as if the gears are going to rip apart in the mirror. This happens quite often. Yesterday it seem to happen every time I started the thing. The mirror was actually replaced by dealer for same issue a while back but of course it is now out of warranty. It was a struggle then to get it replaced and they had to reach out to corporate at the time to get replaced because it is a very intermittent issue. I have to assume that it has to be computer related trying to go to the memorized position and it gets confused. The interesting part is that I can fold the mirrors back (with switch, not manually) and out again and it stops and goes to correct position.Any suggestions?

Do you actually have a memory set? If so, what happens when you erase the memory? Does it still do the same thing?

Peter

Memory is set for 2 positions. Didn't know you could clear memory. Is there a specific way to clear memory just for mirrors?

Memory is set for 2 positions. Didn't know you could clear memory. Is there a specific way to clear memory just for mirrors?
To be honest, I don't really know. I don't have a need for memory settings as I'm the only driver. On page 144 of your Manual is states;
To unlink a remote control, follow the
same procedure – except in step 3, press
the unlock button on the remote control.

To me, that would include the seats as well and the steering wheel position (if that is included). As for it possibly being "computer-related", I'm guessing that both mirrors are controlled by the same feature. Have you tried changing the setting of the mirrors so that they don't automatically fold and then seeing if it still has the same problem when adjusting to a memory setting? Maybe some other members might have some ideas. I don't recall this specific issue being mentioned here before.

Peter

Happens from time to time on my EX also (both sides).

When you unlock the car by touching the door handle and get in the exterior mirrors are supposed to go to the driver settings for the keyfob. Now the mirrors start moving to all different positions (looking at the sky, looking at the ground and sometimes just clicking away trying to turn down even farther. Sometimes it happens with both mirrors, but most of the time it is with the passengers mirror. I have the mirrors set to not fold to see if that would make a difference. It does not matter which key fob is used. I have even tried to use the key pad on the post to unlock - no difference. As soon as you touch the door handle to open the door, the mirrors just go haywire sometimes. We have had the issue since the SUV was new and every time we take it to the dealer it works as it should. twice the service writer saw it, but never documented it and now it is out of warranty and happening more frequently.

Any thoughts - is there a way to disable the mirror memory recall position.?

Welcome to the Forum Jerry.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the Forum's 'Search' feature. As you can see, others have had this same problem but unfortunately, as happens all too often, no follow up posts were submitted as to what if anything was done to correct the issue. Given that you had it documented while under warranty you can try and see it will be covered. No harm in asking.

Peter

Hello, so almost every day when I either unlock the doors with the key for our just grab the door handle the doors unlock I get in and my seat moves to my memory position and either the driver side mirror glass try’s to go to position but starts trying to go all the way up or all the way down then it just starts clicking until I physically move the glass or hit the mirror button. The weird thing is also sometimes the passenger mirror does the same thing, but never both at a time. Anyone else have this issue?
My 2016 Explorer Sport does this!! It drives me nuts and the dealer said it has to be doing it for them to diagnose...it is very intermittent. Would love a solution to this. I love this car, but it has a lot of little quirks that are making me consider getting rid of it.

My 2016 Explorer Sport does this!! It drives me nuts and the dealer said it has to be doing it for them to diagnose...it is very intermittent. Would love a solution to this. I love this car, but it has a lot of little quirks that are making me consider getting rid of it.
So the dealership did in fact replace both mirrors and it did fix the problem.

So the dealership did in fact replace both mirrors and it did fix the problem.
Interesting...trying to get a video of it to show them next time...thanks for replying :)

My car does this as well. It happens totally random on either driver or passenger side. I believe this is a electric software or calibration issue.

And apparently this happens on multiple Ford vehicles. I saw some F150 owner posting similar issue. A friend of mine owns a MKC and told me exactly the same issue.

My car does this as well. It happens totally random on either driver or passenger side. I believe this is a electric software or calibration issue.

And apparently this happens on multiple Ford vehicles. I saw some F150 owner posting similar issue. A friend of mine owns a MKC and told me exactly the same issue.

My 2016 Explorer Limited starting doing this over a year ago. I googled and tried everything to fix it and gave up when I read a thread where someone had their dealer fix by replacing the mirrors. I tried one last thing yesterday that was noted in this post on "unlinking" you key fob and it fixed it. Yesterday was the first day in a long time where my mirrors didn't go crazy click-click-click-click!! and i was so happy :):):) I have three memory settings and "unlinked" the key fob on all three just in case.

Here's what I did:
1. start the engine
2. hold the memory setting button down until it beeps once.... keep holding it down until it beeps one more time (this is critical and what i didn't do a year ago... it has to beep a second time before letting go!) for approx 5 sec..
3. press the unlock button on the key fob within 5 seconds of step 2.

I repeated the above steps on all three memory buttons as well as both key fobs.
Again- this fix was mentioned above by peterk9 so he gets all the credit for my happiness!
I hope this can fix others that are going crazy over their mirrors!

To be honest, I don't really know. I don't have a need for memory settings as I'm the only driver. On page 144 of your Manual is states;
To unlink a remote control, follow the
same procedure – except in step 3, press
the unlock button on the remote control.

To me, that would include the seats as well and the steering wheel position (if that is included). As for it possibly being "computer-related", I'm guessing that both mirrors are controlled by the same feature. Have you tried changing the setting of the mirrors so that they don't automatically fold and then seeing if it still has the same problem when adjusting to a memory setting? Maybe some other members might have some ideas. I don't recall this specific issue being mentioned here before.

Peter
This happens to my 2016 explorer all the time. It sounds like the plastic gears are stripped.

I think this happened to my 2018 explorer on passenger side those. I found it all the way up one day, and no longer goes left or right.

This happens to my 2016 explorer all the time. It sounds like the plastic gears are stripped.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

My 2016 Explorer Limited starting doing this over a year ago. I googled and tried everything to fix it and gave up when I read a thread where someone had their dealer fix by replacing the mirrors. I tried one last thing yesterday that was noted in this post on "unlinking" you key fob and it fixed it. Yesterday was the first day in a long time where my mirrors didn't go crazy click-click-click-click!! and i was so happy :):):) I have three memory settings and "unlinked" the key fob on all three just in case.

Here's what I did:
1. start the engine
2. hold the memory setting button down until it beeps once.... keep holding it down until it beeps one more time (this is critical and what i didn't do a year ago... it has to beep a second time before letting go!) for approx 5 sec..
3. press the unlock button on the key fob within 5 seconds of step 2.

I repeated the above steps on all three memory buttons as well as both key fobs.
Again- this fix was mentioned above by peterk9 so he gets all the credit for my happiness!
I hope this can fix others that are going crazy over their mirrors!
This is the solution!! I've had clicking mirrors for 6 or 7 years! Multiple Ford dealers couldn't figure it out. They wanted to replace everything. Thank you so much for posting this. I can go on with my life now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the solution!! I've had clicking mirrors for 6 or 7 years! Multiple Ford dealers couldn't figure it out. They wanted to replace everything.
It's a shame how stupid some dealer techs are. I don't trust them to do the right thing by me. Shouldn't they know their own vehicles?

Back