Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2016 Explorer Crazy Transmission Issue

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Dman92, May 30, 2018.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. Dman92

Dman92 New Member

City, State:
    Chicago
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2016 Ford Explorer
    Hello All,

I have a 16 Explorer with 36k on it. Since about 25k, I have been experiencing my transmission occasionally slamming into gear. When slowly accelerating from a red light/stop sign, mostly when shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear, engine will go from 2-3k rpm to about 5-6k rpm, hesitate, them slam into 3rd gear. This happens under normal acceleration with no deviation in throttle input. It feels like a vehicle has hit you from behind ( literal whiplash). Last time this happened it slammed into next gear so hard that my tires screeched on the pavement. This also happens at steady highway speed (4th-6th gear) when wanting to accelerate.

I have been to Ford dealership two times and they have run diagnostics and test drove. Stated they did not find any problems. At this point I believe it is dangerous to drive this crappy SUV. How do I convince the dealer this is a serious issue? Please Help!!!

Thanks,
    Damian

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Jon M

Jon M Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Mount Pleasant, SC
    2015 Explorer XLT
    Does it happen all the time, or is it intermittent? If you can consistently duplicate it, go to the dealer and tell them you want the shop foreman to go for a drive with you. Otherwise, try to get video of it when it happens.

If they can't duplicate it, and there are no codes, they have nowhere to start trying to diagnose it.

4. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer EF Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    1998 Mountaineer AWD
    Sounds like it’s slipping between shifts. I’d get a video as suggested so you can get a warranty claim started. This will ruin a transmission way before it’s time.

5. mjh-Canada

mjh-Canada New Member

City, State:
    Chelsea, Quebec
    2017 Explorer XLT
    I have the same issue with a 2017.
    I will note it at the next service so they can track it.

Michael

6. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    There was a TSB put out for the 2011-2012 models with something similar. It described as sluggish acceleration followed by a harsh bump. I don't think the issue is quite the same though. Here is another thread; 2015 Explorer bump/harsh shift . If you use the 'Search' feature you will a few more on this kind of issue.

Peter

We Support Our Troops!