2016 Explorer Crazy Transmission Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dman92

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer
Hello All,

I have a 16 Explorer with 36k on it. Since about 25k, I have been experiencing my transmission occasionally slamming into gear. When slowly accelerating from a red light/stop sign, mostly when shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear, engine will go from 2-3k rpm to about 5-6k rpm, hesitate, them slam into 3rd gear. This happens under normal acceleration with no deviation in throttle input. It feels like a vehicle has hit you from behind ( literal whiplash). Last time this happened it slammed into next gear so hard that my tires screeched on the pavement. This also happens at steady highway speed (4th-6th gear) when wanting to accelerate.

I have been to Ford dealership two times and they have run diagnostics and test drove. Stated they did not find any problems. At this point I believe it is dangerous to drive this crappy SUV. How do I convince the dealer this is a serious issue? Please Help!!!

Thanks,
Damian

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it happen all the time, or is it intermittent? If you can consistently duplicate it, go to the dealer and tell them you want the shop foreman to go for a drive with you. Otherwise, try to get video of it when it happens.

If they can't duplicate it, and there are no codes, they have nowhere to start trying to diagnose it.

Sounds like it’s slipping between shifts. I’d get a video as suggested so you can get a warranty claim started. This will ruin a transmission way before it’s time.

I have the same issue with a 2017.
I will note it at the next service so they can track it.

Michael

There was a TSB put out for the 2011-2012 models with something similar. It described as sluggish acceleration followed by a harsh bump. I don't think the issue is quite the same though. Here is another thread; 2015 Explorer bump/harsh shift . If you use the 'Search' feature you will a few more on this kind of issue.

Peter

Back