2016 Explorer XLT 4x4 turns off | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer XLT 4x4 turns off

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Every time it snows and we actually need the 4WD it shuts itself off. This will be the 3rd time in to have it serviced. The first time they didn't see any codes recorded and couldn't get it to shut off (it wasn't snowing).
We had new tires with good snow ratings installed. Next time it snowed, it shut off again. The second time they put it on a lift w/tires just barely off the ground and got it to shut off. They called Ford and they shipped them a new rear differential. Appeared to have fixed it, but hard to tell winter ended. It's winter again, and the problem reappeared with the first snow. We have searched unsuccessfully online to see if anyone has had this issue or has any ideas as to the cause. It's not caused by over heating as my wife is the driver of his vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are saying the 4WD shuts off or the vehicle/engine shuts off?

When driving on slick roads the warning light signaling FOUR WHEEL DRIVE DISABLED appears within 10-15 seconds after it engages into four wheel drive. The owners manual states that indicates the four wheel drive is overheating however it`s impossible to overheat that quickly. Our local dealer has worked on this problem multiple times even dealing working with Ford Motor Company which decided to replace the entire rear differential late last winter. It was fine until recent snow and the problem returned. Now we are renting a vehicle to drive while our Explorer sits at a different dealer waiting for repairs. Our vehicle started having this problem around 20,000 miles and currently has 41,000.

It doesn’t sound like an actual overheat, but rather a wiring/sensor issue...I’m assuming your out of lemon law time?

Yes the lemon law expires after 18 months in Ohio. I`m sure it`s a sensor or electronic issue but it is getting aggravating my wife needs the four wheel drive for work.

Edited title for proper description.

Just before my 2016 Platinum's PTU failed the warning about FOUR WHEEL DRIVE DISABLED appeared on my dashboard.
When using the various AWD/4WD modes different stresses are put on the entire driveline system, maybe your PTU needs a good look. Ask your Dealer to drain and inspect the fluid from your cars PTU.

From the Owner's Manual: "The PTU lube will be more likely to require a fluid change if the vehicle has experienced extended periods of extreme/severe duty cycle driving".
I think snow driving qualifies as 'extreme/severe duty driving'.

Welcome to the Forum Joe.:wave:
Does this happen when driving through deep snow? If I recall, there were some posts mentioning a similar issue after going through deep snow and I believe the problem was caused by the ABS sensors. When this happens is the TMS in 'Normal' mode or did you put it in 'Snow' mode? Another member had the same issue with the AWD turning off and after several dealer visits it turned out the tire shop that installed his Winter tires put on 2 of the wrong size.
Maybe try turning ABS OFF and see if that could be the issue.

Peter

No this happens on any slick surface when the four wheel drive engages itself. The last time we literally drove 50ft. on a slippery street and the wheels barely lost traction before it disabled itself. We have purchased new Fords for 30 years and this is the only crazy problem we have encountered so I guess we were overdue.

You could still try turning ABS OFF the next time and see if makes a difference. If not, then it can be eliminated from the possibilities. Nothing to lose.

Peter

If the tires are all the right size, a wheel speed sensor might be contributing bad data.

If it were me I'd be comparing data with FORScan--checking the readings of the sensors at all four corners.

There is no way to turn ABS off as far as I know (unless Peter has a secret trick :D), put pulling the fuse might accomplish the same thing, too.

Sorry about that guys. I was thinking of Traction Control.:banghead:

Peter

So I just got off the phone with Ford and they believe the culprit is the PTU. Ordering a new one and should be done by next week. Thanks for everyone`s input on this ongoing problem.

So I just got off the phone with Ford and they believe the culprit is the PTU. Ordering a new one and should be done by next week. Thanks for everyone`s input on this ongoing problem.

If you can, please follow-up on this thread and let us know if the PTU solves your problem.

Replacing the PTU makes sense to me.
By all means, please let us know how this plays out, I sure hope this is the end of your Explorer problems.

Will do it looks like we are going to get snow and or ice next week so maybe we can give it a good test. Supposed to be repaired by monday or tuesday depending upon when parts arrive.

OK so we just received a call from Ford and after 11 days in the shop they have decided it`s not the PTU but rather the rear differential electronics. My issue with this decision is that it was just replaced a year ago. They are unable to replace just the electronic themselves thus they are replacing the entire differential again. The estimated time for delivery on parts is three more weeks and now they want us to drive it as is and return the loaner we`ve been driving.

OK so we just received a call from Ford and after 11 days in the shop they have decided it`s not the PTU but rather the rear differential electronics. My issue with this decision is that it was just replaced a year ago. They are unable to replace just the electronic themselves thus they are replacing the entire differential again. The estimated time for delivery on parts is three more weeks and now they want us to drive it as is and return the loaner we`ve been driving.

Tell them to shove it.
You paid for a vehicle with AWD and now they want you to drive around on FWD, until they can get the new rear differential?

If your Explorer is driveable and no additional harm will be done by driving it, I don't see a problem there. It's not the dealer's fault that the differential needs to be replaced and Ford doesn't supply loaners. I can understand that they would like their loaner returned because your vehicle is driveable. In most cases loaners do not have all the features of the vehicle it is replacing, that is normal. When my Platinum required a 4 wheel alignment, the dealer came and picked it up and left a 2018 Escape for me to use. Hardly an equal 1 for 1 trade.:)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your Explorer is driveable and no additional harm will be done by driving it, I don't see a problem there. It's not the dealer's fault that the differential needs to be replaced and Ford doesn't supply loaners. I can understand that they would like their loaner returned because your vehicle is driveable. In most cases loaners do not have all the features of the vehicle it is replacing, that is normal. When my Platinum required a 4 wheel alignment, the dealer came and picked it up and left a 2018 Escape for me to use. Hardly an equal 1 for 1 trade.:)

Peter

Come on now Peter, it is very much the dealer's "fault", as they should stand behind the product they sell.

Back