2016 Explorer XLT - Aftermarket Tow Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer XLT - Aftermarket Tow Install

Hello,

I got a 2016 Explorer XLT with no tow package (didn't think about it when I got it). Now I want to install an aftermarket system. I read a few pages online and here, and it seems like these are the kits/parts I would need.

CURT 13100 Class 3 Receiver Hitch - $113
CURT 56172 Multi-Color T-Connector

And I would have the option to get a fascia as well to hide it, but this isn't a big concern for me: GB5Z-17K835-BA

Could someone please give some suggestions/advice, and tell me if I'm missing anything?

PS: I know this doesn't include the mount+ball, but those are easy to get items.

I've also heard about transmission coolers, but they seem too complicated to install.

I plan on towing 1 or 2 jet-skis with this setup, short distance, 3-5 times / year.

Thanks.

Without the towing package, I think you are limited to 2000 lbs. This would be for the trailer, jet skis, and any passengers and cargo you put in the Explorer (not including the driver).

Will all of these items add up to 2000 lbs or less?
Yes? Then the hitch and wiring for lights is sufficient.
No? You need to add other components, like trans cooling.

Look up the 2016 Ford Towing Guide
http://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

Hi I just joined this forum and noticed that you had the same problem as me. I have a 2017 xlt 3.5 with no factory tow package. I have a travel trailer with a dry weight of 3500lbs. I installed these parts on the explorer to reach the 5000lbs towing capacity.

1-Motorcraft SW6839 Instrument Voltage Regulator

2-118272 Tekonsha T-1 T-Connector - 7 Wire

3- 3035-P Tekonsha Brake Control Wiring Adapter with 2 Plugs

4-
5504 Draw-Tite Act IV Electric Trailer Brake Controller - Time Based

5- Universal 4 & 6 Pass Dual Circuit Tube & Fin Cooler

Derale
Model

6- scanguage 2 to monitor trans, water and engine temps while towing

Hi I just joined this forum and noticed that you had the same problem as me. I have a 2017 xlt 3.5 with no factory tow package. I have a travel trailer with a dry weight of 3500lbs. I installed these parts on the explorer to reach the 5000lbs towing capacity.

1-Motorcraft SW6839 Instrument Voltage Regulator

2-118272 Tekonsha T-1 T-Connector - 7 Wire

3- 3035-P Tekonsha Brake Control Wiring Adapter with 2 Plugs

4-
5504 Draw-Tite Act IV Electric Trailer Brake Controller - Time Based

5- Universal 4 & 6 Pass Dual Circuit Tube & Fin Cooler

Derale
Model

6- scanguage 2 to monitor trans, water and engine temps while towing
You do not have a 5k towing capacity. Your vehicle is rated to 2k and will always be rated to 2k, regardless of aftermarket mods.

Now, it does seem to be possible to retrofit a towing package (tow above your rating at your own risk), but the main difference is the transmission. You'll have the 6F50, which is a great transmission, but to get the max rating you need the 6F55 (found in the Sport and Platinum trims, as well as PIUs). Not to mention, the front air valance with passenger side cutout, cooling ductwork from valance to transmission/PTU and a fluid cooled PTU. Comes out to approximately 5.5-6k in parts alone.

Back