Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

2016 Folding/Power Mirror

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by candiman, October 11, 2018 at 9:51 PM.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. candiman

candiman New Member

City, State:
      Texas
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2016 Explorer Limited
      New to posting to forum but i am having issue with automated power mirror on passenger side. Mirror is folded when parked, when get in to start the truck, the mirror opens and then attempts to adjust to the preset memory. Of course it sounds as if the gears are going to rip apart in the mirror. This happens quite often. Yesterday it seem to happen every time I started the thing. The mirror was actually replaced by dealer for same issue a while back but of course it is now out of warranty. It was a struggle then to get it replaced and they had to reach out to corporate at the time to get replaced because it is a very intermittent issue. I have to assume that it has to be computer related trying to go to the memorized position and it gets confused. The interesting part is that I can fold the mirrors back (with switch, not manually) and out again and it stops and goes to correct position.Any suggestions?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
      Do you actually have a memory set? If so, what happens when you erase the memory? Does it still do the same thing?

Peter

4. candiman

candiman New Member

City, State:
      Texas
      2016 Explorer Limited
      Memory is set for 2 positions. Didn't know you could clear memory. Is there a specific way to clear memory just for mirrors?

5. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      To be honest, I don't really know. I don't have a need for memory settings as I'm the only driver. On page 144 of your Manual is states;
      To unlink a remote control, follow the
      same procedure – except in step 3, press
      the unlock button on the remote control.

To me, that would include the seats as well and the steering wheel position (if that is included). As for it possibly being "computer-related", I'm guessing that both mirrors are controlled by the same feature. Have you tried changing the setting of the mirrors so that they don't automatically fold and then seeing if it still has the same problem when adjusting to a memory setting? Maybe some other members might have some ideas. I don't recall this specific issue being mentioned here before.

Peter

6. 613GT500

613GT500 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Ontario, Canada
      2016 Sport
      Happens from time to time on my EX also (both sides).