Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2016+ low speed surging

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Blanton, November 16, 2018.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. ThoR294

ThoR294 New Member

City, State:
    Flemington,NJ
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2016 XLT 4WD
    Do you just drive like an ass to clear it out?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. StevenC56

StevenC56 Member

City, State:
    Fresno, CA
    2017 Platinum
    Our 2017 has been doing this since we bought it in March of 2017. We've just learned to live with it. The service manager where we bought it said it was turbo lag! So we knew at that point he had zero mechanical knowledge.

4. Blanton

Blanton New Member

City, State:
    Raleigh, NC
    2016 Explorer Platinum
    A quick update on the surging issue. I purchased and replaced the Throttle Position Sensor and nothing changed. All plugs have been replaced as well as the transmission fluid, still surges. All intake sensors have been cleaned, they weren't dirty in the first place. Just doing a lot of reading about others having issues. Nothing has changed. Never does it when cold. Thinking of purchasing something to data log all engine inputs, does ForScan to data logging. Anyone else have any clue. Haven't gotten to the intercooler yet but many say it's too small in the Explorer to cause any issues.

5. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
  6. Blanton

Blanton New Member

City, State:
    Raleigh, NC
    2016 Explorer Platinum
    I said I replaced the Throttle Position Sensor above, I actually replaced the whole Throttle Body. Didn't change a thing.

7. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Read that part about the sensor but didn't know if that included the throttle body itself.

Peter

8. BerndM

BerndM Member

10 miles NE of Disneyland in Southern California
    City, State:
    Placentia, California
    17 Explorer Platinum
    My 17 Platinum does that surging thing too during slow acceleration like pulling out of a parking space.
    It is usually gone within 5 seconds.
    One way to avoid it is simply step on the gas a bit harder, if it is safe to do so.
    :)

9. BlantonTK

BlantonTK New Member

City, State:
    KS
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    ATTENTION: Fellow Explorer Owners, my wife’s Explorer has had the issue since we purchased it new. It has been at the dealership for repair many times, enough to qualify as a “Lemon”, being a retired quality engineer, I pressed the issue all the way to the Regional Factory customer relations manager. You’ll be amazed at what their excuse was. I have in writing that: “These observations reflect normal operation”, so if you have paid your dealer one penny to fix the issue, you have a case for fraud by both the dealership and Ford. If anyone is interested, I’ll post the complete response. We’re not finished with this issue.

Last edited: March 15, 2019
  10. Blanton

Blanton New Member

City, State:
    Raleigh, NC
    2016 Explorer Platinum
    I ended up trading mine in. What a piece of crap, very disappointed in Ford. Roof rail cover blew off on freeway, front window side trim blew off on side road, driver door trim fell off in parking lot, rear door hinges leaked water inside, surging issue that no one seemed to know how to fix, GPS and Sync system laggy or not working at all, rear seat adjustment motor died, front hood paint bubbling, etc. So happy to be done with this car.

11. BlantonTK

BlantonTK New Member

City, State:
    KS
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Were the repairs made at a Ford dealership? If they were, you should be refunded all of your costs. It’s a Ford issue, and they should have communicated the details to all of their dealerships. I have a written statement from Ford that it’s a known issue.

12. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
    I'm sure that there can be more than a single cause for "surging". A tech would have to investigate to see if there is something other than the "normal" condition that may be causing it. In that case an invoice would be issued just as it would for any diagnostic work..

Peter

13. BlantonTK

BlantonTK New Member

City, State:
    KS
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    I agree, but they said there was no fix, and we have to just live with it. The engineers plugged it into their diagnostic computer that had several screens of data and hundreds of data collection points, and that was their answer. My point is that apparently they know that there is a problem, but choose to do nothing about it. BTW, the technician did their best multiple times to try to fix the problem, kudos to them for their hard work, but it’s in the computer system. I’ll scan their letter and post it.

14. Laura13

Laura13 New Member

2017 Explorer Sport
    We purchased a brand new 2017 explorer sport in Nov 2017, it currently has 9k miles on it. Almost immediately we started experiencing problems.
    Upon startup and putting car in drive or reverse, when you press the gas the car stutters as if pressing the gas and letting off multiple times. It happens when the vehicle has been sitting for 30+ minutes. We have taken in to the dealer 3 times, and now have Ford involved. The service adviser implied I am making the car do it, because during the last visit she rode with me and I could not replicate it initially. We let the car sit for a few and then it did it.

Last edited by a moderator: July 15, 2019
  15. BerndM

BerndM Member

10 miles NE of Disneyland in Southern California
    City, State:
    Placentia, California
    17 Explorer Platinum
    I also have this same surging after warm starts. I don't think high humidity is a factor at all since I live in Orange County California where the humidity is very low. My altitude is 300' ASL. It only lasts about 10 seconds and then is OK. More of an annoyance than anything

16. StevenC56

StevenC56 Member

City, State:
    Fresno, CA
    2017 Platinum
    I agree that it's annoying. Ours has been doing this since day one of ownership over 2 years ago. Even more annoying is that they don't have a clue how to correct it apparently, to the point they refuse to publicly recognize it. I will not even take ours to a dealer for this unless they come of with a fix through a TSB. Last thing I want is a dealer that throws parts at the problem and that won't fix a thing. Every time you take your vehicle in to any dealer, you run the risk of worsening the issue, causing another issue, or accidental damage while being worked on or parked on the lot.

17. Laura13

Laura13 New Member

2017 Explorer Sport
    We have started the lemon law process, the vehicle should not do that and along with other issues it has been a problem since day one.

18. PlatinumOwner

PlatinumOwner Active Member

2016 Explorer Platinum
    I'm also in OC and my 2016 Platinum does this. I previously had another turbo car(a GM) and it did the same thing. It only lasts a few seconds and doesn't bother me.

19. Laura13

Laura13 New Member

2017 Explorer Sport
    I would love to see the letter

• Like Like x 2