Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2016 what Transmission works in my car

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Maxy, December 6, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. 1995E

1995E Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Maryland
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    95 + 11 Ex both XLT
    6F55 is a more durable transmission and will fit in place of a 6F50. I'd find a 6F55 if it's possible.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Maxy

Maxy New Member

2016 Explorer Limited FWD
    So you are 100% sure I can use the 6f55 from a 2014 Explorer sport 3.5 with turbo and how package 4wd and install in my 2016 explorer limited 3.5 without turbo and without tow package FWD with 6f50 ?
    Most I reprogram the solinoid strategi in IDS also ?
    Many thx

4. dkean

dkean Member

City, State:
    south Jersey
    2018 Explorer XLT 3.5 V6
    If your transmission only got water damage and no holes or cracks in the case you should be able to have ford or a transmission shop rebuild it. Then you will have a new rebuilt transmission.
    Do you have any insurance to cover some of this flood damage?

5. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Not according to post #16 because a Sport is AWD and would have the PTU. I'm only quoting dudefish, I don't know myself. From what I'm gathering from the posts is that a 6F55 would fit, according to 1995E, but not one with a PTU. Confusing isn't it? As I suggested, why not try calling a transmission shop to see if they can help out. Maybe their technical manuals will have that info. It doesn't seem like you are getting consistent answers here likely because no one has done it. I also wondered why you simply can't have it cleaned out and rebuilt if it was only water damage.

Peter

6. dudefish

dudefish Active Member

2013 Explorer Limited AWD
    Well @peterk9 I'm thinking you could probably take off the PTU and replace it with whatever flange or part(s) would go on there for a FWD tow package Explorer. Other parts, like driveshafts and mounts, may also be different for the 6F55 transaxle. It's the software that would concern me most. At the end of the day, it does seem like the simplest and probably cheapest approach would be a rebuild. Maybe circumstances are different in Sweden. :)

7. Maxy

Maxy New Member

The car was bought in the Usa and exported to Sweden so no insurence, sure a transmission shop would be one way but here they are used to domestic transmissions and not theis one as it dont exist in Sweden.

I have fluched the transmission and changed the valvebody and solinoid and that helped alot but in gear 3 and 4 i can feel like there is a small missfire in the engine but it is from the gear box, i am car mecanic so maybe i can tear the transmission appart and see what could be wrong? i thought changing the valve body and solinoid would fix it but not 100%

8. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    At least you are making some progress.:)

9. Maxy

Maxy New Member

10. Ahmed Mohamed

Ahmed Mohamed New Member

City, State:
    aurora
    2016, Explorer XLT 2.3L
    Hi, I have 2016 XLT AWD with a transmission issue. I took it to my transmission shop and he diagnostic with a bad solenoid. He try to get the part from the Ford dealer but told him they sell the whole transmission not just a solenoid. Where did you find or bought your solenoid ?
    Thanks

11. Maxy

Maxy New Member

Hi i can get the solonid for you .
    Just need to know what transmisson type you have , after the solionid pack is changed you most use IDS to program the new pack to the cars pcm

12. Ahmed Mohamed

Ahmed Mohamed New Member

City, State:
    aurora
    2016, Explorer XLT 2.3L
    I just talked to a different Ford dealer who said he can get the parts for me. Thanks again Maxy