2017 Black Mountain EF trip May 19-21 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Black Mountain EF trip May 19-21

I'm 90% in. I am not planning on camping and am looking for suggestions on areas nearby to stay and park my truck and trailer. My ranger is street legal and can drive on thy hwy no problem (well at least on the way there haha)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a few hotels close to the trailhead, I believe they list some on the blackmountainoffroad website.

The camping really isn't that bad.. the main lot by the trailhead office has a large pavilion with bathrooms and showers.. private. electric is available also.

If I trailer, I will camp. I actually enjoy it, and prefer it. It's fun to hang out with the group around a campfire until wee hours of the night, and crawl to the tent whenever. lol

ATM, I do not have that capability, so a Hotel stay would work better, to keep the rig from being weighed down for that trip.

We have not decided what we will do yet. Most likely we will either rent a cabin or hotel stay.

This may be a better idea for us too, like to try something a little different, and it's on the way to my sisters in upstate New York, where we were planning on going next year anyway! Combining two trips in one would be a big plus! I'm going to see if I can make this all happen, I'm going to say yes for now.

image.jpeg
Gearing up for the trip, this upgrade should help. Replacing 36" tsl's with 38.5" tsl BOGGERS!

I'm definitely on the hunt for 37s after Christmas. I will probably remove my bed for the trip and just have my toolbox and spare mounted to the frame. That way I can avoid SOME body damage and keep up.

Got my front leafs changed and steering redone so it won't break again like it did last year going up hamburger hill! Put in leafs from a 3/4 ton ram to eliminate the extreme and scary body roll on off camber situations, hoping I don't lose all my flex, but I guess I can always take out a leaf. Just have to order the last two tires and I'll be ready!

Looking at reserving a spot, does anyone have anything reserved yet?

Looking at reserving a spot, does anyone have anything reserved yet?

Not yet. I contracted a major exterior construction job, starting in 10 days, and going to go right into June. I need to see how the first month goes and make sure we are on track and the job is running smoothly, so I can get away for this. If all looks well, then I will make the reservations in March. I'm sure it will all be good, but I am just being on the safe side. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back