2017 Black Mountain EF trip May 19-21 | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Black Mountain EF trip May 19-21

We will be staying at the Putney Trailhead.. I wussed out and am going in on a cabin.

FYI for those of you who have never been, it is ALWAYS wet on Black Mountain so bring rain gear and tarps to cover your tents.

I haven't gotten the tons or atlas under the Explorer but I also never tore it down so I'm ready to go minus some front diff and wheel bearing services and reinforcing my trans xmember.

Sadly, I'm the only one from my local group going but a friend of mine is bringing people up from Florida, few heavily modified rigs and a few buggies.

I'll be there Thursday afternoon/evening.

Friday is fun day for me, Saturday I will be pushing my own limits and running Mason Jar and Lions Den

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My friend drives truck for a living and a couple of weeks ago another big rig turned in front of him. He was going 65mph and had two options, swerve or hit head on. In fear for his life he swerved and laid his rear trailer on its side. Of course the guy who turned in front of him did not stop and took off. He was terminated today so he doesn't want to go anymore. As much as I hate to say it, I probably won't be making it. I don't really want to drive that far all by my lonesome! Hopefully next time.

My friend drives truck for a living and a couple of weeks ago another big rig turned in front of him. He was going 65mph and had two options, swerve or hit head on. In fear for his life he swerved and laid his rear trailer on its side. Of course the guy who turned in front of him did not stop and took off. He was terminated today so he doesn't want to go anymore. As much as I hate to say it, I probably won't be making it. I don't really want to drive that far all by my lonesome! Hopefully next time.

Dang, too bad he didn't have a dash cam. It may have saved his job :( Sorry to hear about that.

Sorry to hear that Ryan. At least he is alive.

My trip there is 8.5 hrs one way. I am going it alone there & back, and NOT being trailer-ed. I'm an old man, If I can do it, you can do it!

I will be arriving Thursday. Heading out on Sunday.

We're up for the seafood and are staying at the Harlan County Campground. And after watching some videos on the Lions Den, I think we'll stay away from that one. I really don't want to smash up the body, right now I only have a front fender to replace and it'll be straight again. Still trying to figure out some kind of exo skeleton for it with the least amount of tube possible.

Dang, too bad he didn't have a dash cam. It may have saved his job :( Sorry to hear about that.

After the accident he found out that the company dash cam was not operational.

Sorry to hear that Ryan. At least he is alive.

My trip there is 8.5 hrs one way. I am going it alone there & back, and NOT being trailer-ed. I'm an old man, If I can do it, you can do it!

Thanks for the words of wisdom lol. We will see.

You guys ready yet?

I have a huge list of things to get finished before I will be ready!
I hear you on that. My trailer needs bearings and of course noone stocks the bearing race i need locally. I ordered them on etrailer.com so hopefully they get here soon. I have to wire the winch and put marine terminals on my battery and crimp/solder some lugs on the explorer wiring. I need to get some spare driveshafts made up, change the oil, replace the pitman arm tie rod end. My yota buddy is bending me some tube to attach to my rock sliders. I am sure there is more. Mount my fire extinguisher.

What is the parking like for a tow rig and trailer? Will I be able to park infront of my primitive camp site or will I have to park on a parking lot and drive the explorer to the tent site?

All I think I got left is making a spare tire carrier on the back, and find some spare dana 44 axles from work. I'm just gonna assume I'll break a joint up there.

What is the parking like for a tow rig and trailer? Will I be able to park infront of my primitive camp site or will I have to park on a parking lot and drive the explorer to the tent site?

There is a LARGE lot by the tent camp sites at the trailhead, close to the bathhouse. You can pull up to a camp spot and set up a tent. Not sure which way you're coming but if you're heading through WV we can meet up and convoy.

If anyone wants to give their significant other a scare, show them youtube videos of Mason Jar. My wife told me I am not allowed to go now. Completing Mason Jar is my goal for saturday, and I MAY drop into Lions Den. No tons, no cares.

2 weeks to go, still not ready. Typical. LOL

Since the parts I ordered a month ago, isn't going to arrive until it's time to leave for this, the list of things to do, got way shorter.
Just need a couple days, to install what has arrived.

Ready? What is that? I'll probably be putting the last welds down 10 minutes before we leave (may be a slight exaggeration...)

So when is everyone arriving/departing? From what I can tell, most are arriving Thursday and taking off sometime Sunday? Think we may head down after work on Thursday (will put us there around 12am-ish) and hope to hit a trail or two Sunday morning/afternoon...wish we would have more time available...

Everybody in my group is heading out Wednesday Night after work, and will arrive midday on Thursday...... Except me! lol I'm not leaving until Thursday morning.

ETA? No Idea.
2.5 tank trip. Unknown roads. Unknown Vittles to consume. No idea how far between rest rooms. What could go wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got my spare mounted today, I think it worked out well. Just have to slide it out of the receiver to open the hatch, no biggy for now.

IMG_4072.JPG

Back