2017 Black Mountain EF trip May 19-21 | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Black Mountain EF trip May 19-21

Packed and ready to go in the morning!

IMG_4090.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You washed it Birdy lol

Weird request. Anybody have a turkey fryer pot they could bring? James is the person doing the group dinner, and is well into his trip out already.He forgot his at home. I gave mine away last year, as I never used it anymore. Figures.

I wonder what I will forget? lol

Yea, just pressure washer no soap or scrubbing.

Sadly I have to back out. My F250 decided to spring a nice oil leak.

I will have to catch the next run. I hate to miss this.

We've decided to drive through, so we will be at the Harlan County campground around 1:30 or 2 AM. We called them first and they said come on in nobody's in your spot.

On our way, finally...maps say it'll take about 7 hours, I'll figure about 8 with stops...we should arrive around noon...hoped to be there a lot sooner, but things change...

Wishing everyone safe travels, and great wheeling.

Looking forward to seeing your photos:chug:

Well, that was definitely an adventure to say the least.

Made it back at 9:30pm safe & sound.

Was great to see old friends, and make some new ones.

Time to pass out for a day or two.

Ahh, someone did get a picture of me stuck!

To say the least, yes....sucking in water on day 2, almost losing a radius arm/beam bolt and exploding an inner wheel bearing on the trip home, quite the adventure...but I wouldn't have traded the weekend there fro anything else!

I do hope however that everyone's trips home were not as eventful as mine! :D

We made it to my folks in Wisconsin yesterday without issue, another week before we start thinking about heading home.

Is that it? You guys are supposed to make me feel bad because i sat on my butt at home. so far--not feeling it. Sell me on the place.

Nothing to sell. It's a dirty mud mountain, with car sized boulders in the way, with rude people running the campgrounds. lol

I may have slacked on pictures and videos...I do wish there were more of me going through Fish Fossil....

My take on the park is that I can see myself going back...there seem to be plenty of trails, however classifications on the maps differed from the postings (there was a disclaimer on the map that this could happen, but the small trail from our camp to the larger main trail showed it a class 2 and the map showed it a class 5...big difference that I can't believe happened so fast that maps couldn't be updated). The trails were also sometimes not very well marked and wasn't all that hard to get lost...one point of the main trail brought you to a fork and the main trail continued to the right, but the only marker was for the main trail and it was posted on a tree between the two paths...this was remedied by having a co-pilot that watched the map and checked at each merging point. Campground was nice, LOTS of tent camping area, a decent number of RV sites and the cabins were reasonably priced, especially if you had enough people to fill it and split the cost...bathrooms/showers were really nice, I personally was impressed with them.

Had I not had the issues I did, I would have been on more than just the main trail several times and Fish Fossil (which the map classified a 4, which meant i was a little out of my league, but handled alright with some help), but trails seemed to be pretty good. A lot different from the slickrock of the west that I grew accustomed to, but I guess I ought to get used to this area now that I live around it.

If this became a yearly trip, you'd see me there next year, but I'd also like to see more of what the Midwest has to offer. :)

Nothing to sell. It's a dirty mud mountain, with car sized boulders in the way, with rude people running the campgrounds. lol

I disagree with this. It's southeast wheeling. Lots of steep elevation, trees, creek beds and rock obstacles. I had a blast and will be going back next year to hopefully drop into Lion's Den as I scratched the waterfall and mason jar off of my list with this trip.

I'm still not sure how you and Caleb found mud.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I may have slacked on pictures and videos...I do wish there were more of me going through Fish Fossil....

My take on the park is that I can see myself going back...there seem to be plenty of trails, however classifications on the maps differed from the postings (there was a disclaimer on the map that this could happen, but the small trail from our camp to the larger main trail showed it a class 2 and the map showed it a class 5...big difference that I can't believe happened so fast that maps couldn't be updated). The trails were also sometimes not very well marked and wasn't all that hard to get lost...one point of the main trail brought you to a fork and the main trail continued to the right, but the only marker was for the main trail and it was posted on a tree between the two paths...this was remedied by having a co-pilot that watched the map and checked at each merging point. Campground was nice, LOTS of tent camping area, a decent number of RV sites and the cabins were reasonably priced, especially if you had enough people to fill it and split the cost...bathrooms/showers were really nice, I personally was impressed with them.

Had I not had the issues I did, I would have been on more than just the main trail several times and Fish Fossil (which the map classified a 4, which meant i was a little out of my league, but handled alright with some help), but trails seemed to be pretty good. A lot different from the slickrock of the west that I grew accustomed to, but I guess I ought to get used to this area now that I live around it.

If this became a yearly trip, you'd see me there next year, but I'd also like to see more of what the Midwest has to offer. :)

I'm glad you had a good time! Hopefully we can wheel together again soon. Lots of other parks in the KY, WV, TN area that you would like if you enjoyed Black Mountain.

Back