2017 explorer crashed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 explorer crashed

most likely I am not posting in the right areas sorry. I have a 2017 explorer xlt fwd with about 40k miles. Last Friday a guy drinking decided to lose control of his mustang and crash into the side of my truck...still waiting on the police report and haven’t taken it into a body shop so my question is...
A. How bad does it look.
B. Are these cracks in the trunk areas from the crash because the trunk looks like there’s a larger gap on one side.
C. Should I take it to the ford dealership I bought it from to get fixed? Thanks everyone

D079C47D-204C-42A2-92E0-7A922EB7E67D.jpeg

CC14C4CE-A0C4-4284-A1F5-D612809D1745.jpeg

5289E315-4F0B-4CD1-B9DF-B90FA2CFB6CC.jpeg

86BAC336-F9C0-4446-9F7F-806653528B6A.jpeg

42767EE4-AF9C-4AE5-BB1A-70B5C573A316.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a scratch. Really a good body shop should be able to fix you right up. I would not worry about the gap in the trunk just yet. I am wondering about the Frame under the rear door and if it is tweaked. If it is then that changes things.

A new rear door front door after straightening out the frame rails.

Find a good body shop you do not have to bring it back to Ford unless you want to. Your insurance should help you on that part. Go over it three times before excepting it back.

Stand back and look at it check all the body lines and gaps. Look at it in different from angles and lighting. watch the paint near the front fender and rear qtr to make sure they matched it up correctly.

No air bags is a good thing in this case.

I don't really have a sense for where those cracks are but that's messed up that it gave like that.

I have seen them do amazing things with body repair these days but ouch. Probably won't be able to get a full synopsis until the doors come off. Even if repaired good as new there will most likely be the CARFAX Entry and that can be worse than the initial damage. Where on the liftgate is the crack? I see the crack but is it near the quarter panel and left upper hinge area?

Watch some of the YouTube videos on frame stretching if they can slowly massage the frame back into place that's a good start. Think of the Frame as the Skeleton for the vehicle. With Unibody Construction I am, not sure if they have cross rails but if they do the impact area could be along one of them.

The Door, Liftgate, trim and Paint is the easy part. Good luck and keep us posted. Remember another equation in deciding whether to repair or total out is age, mileage, damage, repair costs and value. If one or all of them outweigh the repair costs then most likely totaled. Hopefully you had GAP insurance and hopefully the other parties insurance will make good.

From what I can see, those cracks are part of the body weld, up near the top corners of the tailgate area.
Is the crack in the actual metal(weld) or the rubbery seam seal applied to that area?
There's a thread about water leaks that has a few pictures like that.

Just a scratch. Really a good body shop should be able to fix you right up. I would not worry about the gap in the trunk just yet. I am wondering about the Frame under the rear door and if it is tweaked. If it is then that changes things...................................................
My first concern also was the possibility of a compromise to the unibody's structure.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Greg.:wave:
It's unfortunate that this had to be your first post.:(

Peter

Thread moved to the Body & Detail section.

I would also be suspect of the Uni-body, if the rear twisted enough to crack the panels back there. Frame rack measures would be advised, before any settlement is made. An experienced bodyshop, will be able to work with the Ins carrier's adjuster, to get the funds correct for all repairs.

From what I can see, those cracks are part of the body weld, up near the top corners of the tailgate area.
Is the crack in the actual metal(weld) or the rubbery seam seal applied to that area?
There's a thread about water leaks that has a few pictures like that.

Yeah the welds look like they cracked

In my experience after an accident like this unfortunately and I’m truly sorry to say the car will never be the same. Only recommendation I can give is hope to god you get the best body shop in your area and visit them often during the repairs. Also consider rust treatinf all areas that will be redone.

Two words: Diminished Value. The other company owes you this as your vehicle is now branded as being in an accident, hence it will be worth less in the future.

Crossing my fingers they call it a total loss, because I really wouldn't want to deal with it when I see busted welds and unibody issues. If it were just the door skin I'd say all good to repair and move on, but it looks just enough to be a painful repair.

Oh good grief people.

Yes, that is a pretty bad hit. Yes, there is structural damage, Yes, this is VERY fixable.
Done correctly it will be restored to pre-accident condition in appearance, safety, and corrosion protection.

Leland NC is where the vehicle is at the moment? Give me 24 hours to toss a line out and find a shop for you.

Hear me and hear me loud and clear on this, do not and I mean DO NOT take it to the insurance companies recommended shop.
Sometimes they will make threats or pressure you or fabricate rules and regulations to get you into one of their shops, DO NOT DO IT. You can think about it, but don't do it. The dealership likely is not the best bet either. Give me some time I will get you a coupla choices.

I see absolutely no cracked welds. I see split seam sealer which is normal and to be expected. The vehicle did what it was supposed to so and that is channel the energy of the collision around and away from the passenger compartment.

I am seeing a new door shell, a quarter panel, and some time on a frame machine to start. That center pillar maybe moved a little bit too. Some repair time on the front door ( maybe replace that but it is tough to tell in a picture ) I little bit of time to get that hatch where it belongs and fix that seam sealer. Not a bad job at all.

Just FWIW, I have been doing collision repair for almost thirty years, I am ASE Master certified in collision repair for going on ten years and I-CAR Platinum for fifteen years. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or need more help.

Oh good grief people.

Yes, that is a pretty bad hit. Yes, there is structural damage, Yes, this is VERY fixable.
Done correctly it will be restored to pre-accident condition in appearance, safety, and corrosion protection.

[...]

Just FWIW, I have been doing collision repair for almost thirty years, I am ASE Master certified in collision repair for going on ten years and I-CAR Platinum for fifteen years. Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or need more help.

One time I'm happy to be wrong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update. Cars at collision shop getting pulled apart. Adjuster said looked to be about 5k replace back door, Reskin front blah blah blah hole lot of stuff I don’t know. Said the cracks near lift gate was not an issue. But he didn’t even pick up on it if I didn’t show him. New questions are there any other spots I should check? Also he never even saw the I’m guessing rocker panel? Do they cut it out and weld new one or ??? What’s the right way? Thanks everyone for your time

Back