2017 explorer front right axle leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 explorer front right axle leak

ivan816

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas city
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 explorer xlt
Hi all I’m new to the forum just wondering if any one had this problem and how expensive it was To fix
the front right axle seal leaking dont know if it’s transmission fluid or some kind of axle lubricant

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AWD? If so hopefully your under warranty still as it's most likely the PTU is bad.

Thanks for the quick response
Yeah it is a awd and I’m not under warranty :(

Welcome to t
Thanks for the quick response
Yeah it is a awd and I’m not under warranty :(
Welcome to the Forum Ivan.:wave:
Transmission fluid would be a reddish colour. If the leak is at the front right wheel, it could well be the seal. How many miles are on the Ex?

Peter

Welcome to t

Welcome to the Forum Ivan.:wave:
Transmission fluid would be a reddish colour. If the leak is at the front right wheel, it could well be the seal. How many miles are on the Ex?

Peter
Hi peter yeah it’s reddish color it has 38k

The transmission and PTU are both covered under the 5 year, 60k mile Powertrain Warranty. Your Warranty Guide brochure covers what all that includes.

Peter

Axles would have been covered under the 30K bumper to bumper (I had both replaced on my previous 2016 EX.)

Powertrain warranty

"Transmission: all internal parts, clutch cover, seals and gaskets, torque converter, transfer case (including all internal parts), transmission case, transmission mounts; Front-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, front bearings, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints; Rear-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, rear bearings, center support bearing, drive axle housing (including all internal parts), drive shaft, retainers, supports, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints. Four-Wheel/All-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front and rear), center support bearing, drive shafts, final drive housing (including all internal parts), hubs-automatic front locking (four-wheel drive), locking rings (four-wheel drive), seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints."

Powertrain warranty

"Transmission: all internal parts, clutch cover, seals and gaskets, torque converter, transfer case (including all internal parts), transmission case, transmission mounts; Front-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, front bearings, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints; Rear-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, rear bearings, center support bearing, drive axle housing (including all internal parts), drive shaft, retainers, supports, seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints. Four-Wheel/All-Wheel Drive: axle shafts, bearings (front and rear), center support bearing, drive shafts, final drive housing (including all internal parts), hubs-automatic front locking (four-wheel drive), locking rings (four-wheel drive), seals and gaskets, universal and constant velocity joints."
Yeah, helps to know, as I was told the axles weren't covered after the bumper to bumper warranty.

Hi all I’m new to the forum just wondering if any one had this problem and how expensive it was To fix
the front right axle seal leaking dont know if it’s transmission fluid or some kind of axle lubricant
Did you ever get this issue resolved? If so, what was done?

Peter

Did you ever get this issue resolved? If so, what was done?

Peter
Hi peter it was transmission fluid leaking due to a bad drive shaft seal it cost me 80 dlls in labor and about 130 in parts the dealership wanted 700 dlls to fix it

Hi peter it was transmission fluid leaking due to a bad drive shaft seal it cost me 80 dlls in labor and about 130 in parts the dealership wanted 700 dlls to fix it
I believe that would have been covered under the 5 yr/60k mile Powertrain Warranty.

Peter

Back